July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

You can remove the "attm'.

I-5 is almost always a parking lot between Seattle and Everett. Its a joke.

Yeah I’ve been delayed 23 minutes heading southbound based on google maps. I’m used to it, but it’s a pain in the a** nonetheless.

Yeah I’ve been delayed 23 minutes heading southbound based on google maps. I’m used to it, but it’s a pain in the a** nonetheless.

it’s as bad here in the Seattle area as anywhere in the country it’s absolutely horrible here traffic wise.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

It’s like the I-495 Inner-Loop from McLean - Silver Spring.

Backed-up every day, even on weekends. Must be a similar situation here in Seattle. Volume is too condensed..need another major artery but water/existing infrastructure prevents it, just like back home. Screwage.

Interestingly, quite a few ensemble members agree with the operational.

EPS looks like it’s liking the idea of the ULL ending up in a favourable spot for us too.

It’s gonna be August by then though, so it’s probably most prudent to expect that we will absolutely roast our faces off.

You can remove the "attm".

I-5 is almost always a parking lot between Seattle and Everett. Its a joke.

Actually between Seattle and Marysville these days...and not much better up my way due to construction and lane closures on I-5. I-5 is just a horrible joke these days...even at 10:30 on a Saturday morning it’s a parking lot.
  • Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Hopefully we have another blocky winter... with long stretches of sunny weather and an east wind blowing. Punctuated by some periods of cold and snow. And spring comes by late February and stays.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Hopefully we have another blocky winter... with long stretches of sunny weather and a east wind blowing.    Punctuated by some periods of cold and snow.   And spring comes by late February and stays.   

A fukkin top-tier regional event in Dec-Jan would be really nice and hasn't happened in way too long.

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Hopefully we have another blocky winter... with long stretches of sunny weather and a east wind blowing.    Punctuated by some periods of cold and snow.   And spring comes by late February and stays.

Opinion police!

One good winter storm would be nice, but I really would like a regional windstorm, we're pretty overdue for a good one. Ideally I would love a winter like 2006-2007. That winter was great save for the November snow missing Portland and the Hanukkah Eve Storm being much weaker than expected down here in the Valley.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

One good winter storm would be nice, but I really would like a regional windstorm, we're pretty overdue for a good one. Ideally I would love a winter like 2006-2007. That winter was great save for the November snow missing Portland and the Hanukkah Eve Storm being much weaker than expected down here in the Valley.

I was barely old enough to remember this but the December 1995 windstorm was pretty intense, especially on the Coast. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again.

Ever heard of the January 9, 1880 event?

https://climate.washington.edu/stormking/January1880.html

A 955mb low! 28.56” barometric pressure in Portland and of course the entire region got snow as well. Port Townsend got over 48”!

• Like 1

A 955mb low!

Hopefully something like that with a monster bent-back occlusion dropping a bunch of snow behind it too.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

A 955mb low! 28.56” barometric pressure in Portland and of course the entire region got snow as well. Port Townsend got over 48”!

That was a behemoth storm! But I'd sacrifice wind for snow if a situation like that ever presented itself. Get that sucker to track just south of Eugene!

Indeed I have heard of that event. I'm hoping we can at least get PDX a gust over 60 mph this winter, hasn't happened since December 2014 (which wasn't a terribly widespread event). The Hanukkah Eve Storm was great, but there was a large disparity in the winds that Puget Sound got, and the far weaker winds that the Valley received. Most valley locations only recorded 45-55 gusts, in comparison to SeaTac which immediately jumped to 65-80.

That being said, anyone have any experiences from the Hanukkah storm here in Portland? I can't remember it, was it as weak as the peak gusts suggest?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indeed I have heard of that event. I'm hoping we can at least get PDX a gust over 60 mph this winter, hasn't happened since December 2014 (which wasn't a terribly widespread event). The Hanukkah Eve Storm was great, but there was a large disparity in the winds that Puget Sound got, and the far weaker winds that the Valley received. Most valley locations only recorded 45-55 gusts, in comparison to SeaTac which immediately jumped to 65-80.

That being said, anyone have any experiences from the Hanukkah storm here in Portland? I can't remember it, was it as weak as the peak gusts suggest?

We had 60mph+ gusts here on 12/20 and 1/6 this winter. As for the 12/14/06 storm I wasn’t in Portland but I do remember vaguely.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

We had 60mph+ gusts here on 12/20 and 1/6 this winter. As for the 12/14/06 storm I wasn’t in Portland but I do remember vaguely.

12/20 storm missed us completely (typical) and we had some decent 40-50 mph gusts on 1/6. Storm track was definitely more favorable for your area this year.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

12/20 storm missed us completely (typical) and we had some decent 40-50 mph gusts on 1/6. Storm track was definitely more favorable for your area this year.

Yeah both of those were pretty strong here. We had a couple other days this year with windy conditions like 12/14 and 2/27.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Latest gfs run takes the system a little farther offshore and impacts the coast more. Could be totally different by the 12z we will just have to wait and see.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

When yoi get old enough to have actual responsibilities, you would not eant another Hannukah storm.

No, I still probably would. I enjoy watching the spectacle, but that doesn't mean I want people to be hurt and property to be damaged. There are plenty of people who adore storm chasing, both close to their location and far abroad. I'm not that extreme, but I still enjoy extreme weather to an extent. Not everything needs to be chalked up to age.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife