August 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Omegaraptor

What does it look like for El Paso, TX?

Hot as per typical for El Paso, but there is an interesting storm outbreak at 84 hours:

6D297CEB-8559-474A-BE48-E5A3DEEF57F6.png

Nothing too interesting in El Paso otherwise. However, the tropical storm in the Pacific might be worth tracking. Some runs show it hitting Baja, others show it just going out into the Pacific and not landfalling.

• Like 1

Came to Portland yesterday. Socked in all day and barely hit 70. Today the marine layer broke at about 1:30. Sunny and 77 now. So refreshing to see some clouds as Redmond is 92 right now with no marine layer ever! I envy Jesse too in those regards Phil. October can’t come soon enough for the east side.

• Like 1

They need to build one in Battle Ground ASAP.

The Eugene/Springfield metro area of 350,000 people has some 50 major chain restaurants out of the 300+ in this country. Has to be the worst ratio of chain restaurants to population in the entire nation. The local stuff here is way too expensive and overrated compared to PDX and even SLE.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

The Eugene/Springfield metro area of 350,000 people has some 50 major chain restaurants out of the 300+ in this country. Has to be the worst ratio of chain restaurants to population in the entire nation. The local stuff here is way too expensive and overrated compared to PDX and even SLE.

If there’s one thing this country needs more of its fast food, big freeways and visible lightning. Ugh. :(

There are a handful of GFS ensemble members that paint A LOT of precip over us Wednesday.

7A6580B1-ADEA-4AC9-9834-AAD3A01AE257.png

Really liking the potential for a soaker.

Focused heavy rain and lots of sun is my favorite summer weather.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

To heck with chain restaurants. Bring back Communism! Then all the restaurants could be run by the state, and you'd never have to worry about suffering through an inventive meal at a vibrant family-run independent restaurant. You could get exactly the same mediocre food, indifferent service, and inflated prices wherever you go.

Funny how unbridled capitalism can start to look an awful lot like communism if let go to its fullest extent. Opposite political philosophies often become indistinguishable at extremes!

• Like 1

Since we are talking politics we might as well talk sports in this thread! Nice being able to watch the starters again in tonight’s Seahawks game!

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

There are a handful of GFS ensemble members that paint A LOT of precip over us Wednesday.

attachicon.gif7A6580B1-ADEA-4AC9-9834-AAD3A01AE257.png

Really liking the potential for a soaker.

If the low off the BC/Alaska coast deepens into the 970s again and the AR trends a little farther south (and it has been trending south on the GFS) then there’s probably good potential for a Portland area soaker. Fingers crossed.

For the first time this summer, I can accurately say that most places that aren't irrigated are dry and dusty. We need some rain soon

Yeah, you guys have missed out on the last handful of events down there. I can imagine you could use some soon too.

On the bright side, southern areas were in much better shape than areas from the central Willamette valley northward going into the dry season.

I prefer to do yard work when it is cloudy, we got home from Tukwila around 3 and it was 68 degrees and cloudy which is perfect for mowing.

I like to get some sun while working in the yard... feels more like summer.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Funny how unbridled capitalism can start to look an awful lot like communism if let go to its fullest extent. Opposite political philosophies often become indistinguishable at extremes!

This.

• Like 1