August 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Omegaraptor

I know parts of Yamhill and Washington County closer to the Coast Range got absolutely hammered. Perfect combination of moisture and cold enough Arctic air.

Yup, in the heavy d-band zone with a layer aloft switching to BSF for about 8 hrs then another 12"+ for the 24 hrs after that.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

What a wonderful day for a golf outing yesterday morning in the Cascade foothills. Had a 7:30am tee time and it was 51 degrees with the sweet smell of the dew on the dormant grasses, little patches of ground fog and the ripe blackberries adding to the fragrance as the sun climbed higher. Felt like Fall is just around the corner. I know, I know, it was August 18!

Now that’s enjoying golf!

ECMWF, EPS, GFS, old GFS, GEFS, GEPS, ICON, GEM, JMA, NAVGEM, weekly CFS, Wunderground, and Accuweather 90 day all indicate a warm or hot spell starting in the 7-10 day range.

I was hoping for cooler weather to end summer but I'll be down on the Southern Oregon Coast for Labor Day Weekend and I've always wanted to experience the "Brookings Effect".

Looks like a good soaking. The green theme looks to continue this summer. Would have been the perfect summer if we had a few less cloudy days.

Can’t complain down here in the South Sound ....this summer is far better then the last two. Morning clouds afternoon sun is perfect for me with a few warm days a few wet days. Not bad at all :)

The only thing that would give this summer a higher rating is a few more T-Storms

I get it, it’s a long commute down. And I imagine the pressure change can be a b*tch on the sinuses...

I already said a ridgy September felt like good call, but that provoked a Jim-insulting slam. Do you need something else?

Summer starts on Labor Day.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

ECMWF, EPS, GFS, old GFS, GEFS, GEPS, ICON, GEM, JMA, NAVGEM, weekly CFS, Wunderground, and Accuweather 90 day all indicate a warm or hot spell starting in the 7-10 day range.

In that case it’s certain to bust.

• Like 1

I said that almost a month ago. Don’t go all Phil with your selective amnesia.

Speaking of amnesia...

I can never tell the difference between your serious posts and your sarcastic ones. A perfect storm of stratospheric ambiguity!

A serious forecast can be made in a sarcastic manner.

Give it a try sometime! Don’t fear failure, it’s how we lern!

• Like 1

For the record, I could envision September running warmer than normal (like every month since March). But probably not an unbroken blowtorch. Some bouts of heat but also some cool periods with the mean ridge position a little offshore.

For the record, I could envision September running warmer than normal (like every month since March). But probably not an unbroken blowtorch. Some bouts of heat but also some cool periods with the mean ridge position a little offshore.

Well don’t steal mine...

A month straight of unbroken blowtorch would be something to behold.

We’ve beheld quite a few of them the last several years. Hence all the record warm months.

This is indeed pretty ripe ground for a good ol’ fashioned semantics battle though.

Beautiful and 83F out there.  Another perfect summer day.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Oh Jesse. Was actually trying to defend you but instead you attack like usual. Now I know why you've been called Jussie on here.

That’s a new one to me. :lol:

But yeah, what you said was definitely meant as an attack. I was simply responding in turn.

That’s a new one to me. :lol:

But yeah, what you said was definitely meant as an attack. I was simply responding in turn.

Nope, it wasn't. I'm not the attacking type. I was going more for the angle of, well you did call him a communism so what did you expect to happen. Something like that. That's what I meant.

A serious forecast can be made in a sarcastic manner.

Give it a try sometime! Don’t fear failure, it’s how we lern!

MLK 2018...Never Forget.

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Nope, it wasn't. I'm not the attacking type. I was going more for the angle of, well you did call him a communism so what did you expect to happen. Something like that. That's what I meant.

Ok. Seems like a little bit of a stretch, but if I did indeed misinterpret your comment then you have my apologies.

• Like 1

Seems like I missed an intense discussion. And it had nothing to do with D-Buster? Whoa

Anyways, the mesoscale models seem a lot wetter with the Wednesday system than operationals. NWS AFD mentions that we have more than enough moisture out there, just not enough forcing to get some substantial totals.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"