September 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Requiem

Someone go wake up tigerwoods

I’m laying in bed with the blinds up. Staying up late can trigger more seizures so I try not to except for weather.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Well when my grandparents built the lake house in the late 1950’s they used beautiful tongue and groove wood for the ceiling, then in the 1980’s they decided to cover it up with awesomely ugly white ceiling panels. When we did a full remodel a few years ago I was very excited to rip that crap down and expose the wood again. Changes in interior taste definitely take place over the years!

985AD508-CE33-4FF3-89F0-BA67F90E0280.jpeg

4F6A38C8-1460-453C-9D0E-5CFAEE039F33.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The warm nights should finally end this weekend. Looking forward to that.

Low of 63 here.

can’t wait either! Latest gfs run looking more and more fall like with each run for this Sunday and Monday. Latest runs seem wetter than the previous runs for western OR and WA.
  • Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

can’t wait either! Latest gfs run looking more and more fall like with each run for this Sunday and Monday. Latest runs seem wetter than the previous runs for western OR and WA.

Yeah, looking like a great soaking. Could be the death blow to any sort of fire season. Which is good since apparently lightning started a bunch of new fires down south overnight.

Most of the next week is looking pretty fall like. Even with that shortwave ridging building in late in the week we will see less muggy weather and cooler nights.

• Like 2

Yeah, looking like a great soaking. Could be the death blow to any sort of fire season. Which is good since apparently lightning started a bunch of new fires down south overnight.

Most of the next week is looking pretty fall like. Even with that shortwave ridging building in late in the week we will see less muggy weather and cooler nights.

It’d be nice to start seeing some lows in the 40s. Have only had 5 nights in the 40s since 6/15, and the last one being 7/20. We’ve had 30 nights this summer 58+. Getting a night below 55 degrees was rare this summer.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Yeah the GFS is looking very nice.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

DDF054AA-E771-4386-965C-54986064E0C1.png

4DD13777-EF23-467D-9350-08646FF66EB6.png

12z is looking pretty wet and also wetter than previous runs (00 and 06). Wonder if this trend will continue.

Crap. Ordering my drain rock now.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

DDF054AA-E771-4386-965C-54986064E0C1.png

4DD13777-EF23-467D-9350-08646FF66EB6.png

12z is looking pretty wet and also wetter than previous runs (00 and 06). Wonder if this trend will continue.

Latest run brings in another wet system next Saturday/Sunday out of the NW. Would be nice to see that verify.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Well when my grandparents built the lake house in the late 1950’s they used beautiful tongue and groove wood for the ceiling, then in the 1980’s they decided to cover it up with awesomely ugly white ceiling panels. When we did a full remodel a few years ago I was very excited to rip that crap down and expose the wood again. Changes in interior taste definitely take place over the years!

Much better! See?

Impressive how the Gulf Stream is holding Dorian together despite strong NWerly shear and mid-level dry air intrusion.

If conditions were more favorable aloft, it’s a good bet Dorian would be a Cat3 right now. Easy to see how New Jersey could have been struck by a Cat4 in the 19th century.

eIzLQDT.jpg

• Like 2

That WPAC typhoon is occurring under boundary conditions that will respond easily to its diabatic/t-fluxes. Could be a large/amplified NPAC response later this month.

• Like 1

It was showing wind speeds of over 100 for Canada in the models, but hopefully this is in km/h.

Also sea surface temperatures in New York City are about 71 F right now. Cape Hatteras was about 78 F. Southern California is currently low to mid 70s. Regardless of sea surface temperatures the Pacific High and the subsidence inversion would still make it hard for a hurricane to hit Southern California. In 2006 the sea surface temperatures reached 80 F off the coast for a while here.

• Like 1

Impressive how the Gulf Stream is holding Dorian together despite strong NWerly shear and mid-level dry air intrusion.

If conditions were more favorable aloft, it’s a good bet Dorian would be a Cat3 right now. Easy to see how New Jersey could have been struck by a Cat4 in the 19th century.

eIzLQDT.jpg

U.S. landfall (barely) as a Cat 1. Trump protects America yet again.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Really nice pattern on the 12z Euro.

We’ve definitely paid some late summer/early fall ridgy and warm anomaly dues the last few weeks (despite it being a warmer than average summer anyway). Maybe the other shoe will drop for a little while.

Did someone say warm up followed by cool down?????

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.