October 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

The 6z is a lot prettier for early in week two.  Dropped to 39 here.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Awesome!  I haven't really looked at the models the last few days between work and turning wrenches but I just checked Wunderground and it is showing low 30's middle of this week, and it seems like lately it has been too warm with its low temps.

It's increasingly looking like KBLI will score the freeze we missed out on last week, thanks to strategically-timed winds and clouds.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

It's increasingly looking like KBLI will score the freeze we missed out on last week, thanks to strategically-timed winds and clouds.

It’s looking like it’ll be colder for the whole region in general than last weeks cold temps. Should dip into the upper 30s even in the top warmest location downtown Seattle.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

The models should definitely get colder as the calendar turns to November and then December.

Interesting.   The models might do that... but is it normal for it to get colder as we move into November and December?   I need to check the averages.    :rolleyes:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Interesting.   The models might do that... but is it normal for it to get colder as we move into November and December?   I need to check the averages.    :rolleyes:

Interestingly, I think the models will start warming up starting in January and moving forwards from there. So yeah, a warm up after the cool down.

Interestingly, I think the models will start warming up starting in January and moving forwards from there. So yeah, a warm up after the cool down.

Interesting how you are reporting what the models will do and not what the actual weather weather will do.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

So another warm January. Well that’s just great

I think it's a little early to call it for the coming winter, but it is strange how long it's been since we've had a major cold spell in January, which used to be widely considered the favored month for such things.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Climate update is predicting October to be below average for the PNW and the winter months to be above average. It also shows a chance of a little higher precipitation than normal for October for extreme Southern California, but I don't see how that will be happening unless we can get some tropical storm remnants.

Climate update is predicting October to be below average for the PNW and the winter months to be about average. It also shows a chance of a little higher precipitation than normal for October for extreme Southern California, but I don't see how that will be happening unless we can get some tropical storm remnants.

The screen shot there shows that JAS was quite wet in the PNW. Much wetter than normal.

And it was significantly wetter than normal in the Seattle area in each of those 3 months... so it was spread out fairly evenly around here.

sum.png

Some nice fall color in the Laurelhurst area of Portland earlier this evening.

3D7C8F7B-A086-4656-A628-7F9FE7F3A2C2.jpeg

F4FAA7CB-B40F-4D99-A6C6-425D42E22D35.jpeg

Poor trees are dead.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The screen shot there shows that JAS was quite wet in the PNW. Much wetter than normal.

And it was significantly wetter than normal in the Seattle area in each of those 3 months... so it was spread out fairly evenly around here.

sum.png

September had the bulk of the precip and by far the highest % relative to normal.

A forum for the end of the world.

September had the bulk of the precip and by far the highest % relative to normal.

Using SEA NWS data... 

July - 164%

August - 132%

September - 221%

September was the highest... but all 3 months were wetter than normal.    It was well spread out around here.

Using SEA NWS data...

July - 164%

August - 132%

September - 221%

September was the highest... but all 3 months were wetter than normal. It was well spread out around here.

Funny how you're back to using SEA data to make points... after you took a break during their very dry late spring/early summer. ;)

Funny how you're back to using SEA data to make points... after you took a break during their very dry late spring/early summer. ;)

Good Lord.

Do you post every single stat or mainly those you find interesting?

I actually made lots of posts about the record dry March here and the dry weather in May. And of course April was actually wetter than normal in between.

Either way, even looking only at SEA, those stats support what I said. September was the standout month. Which is why the JAS map looks radically different than the JJA map.

Always have to qualify. Always.

The JAS map is accurate. I did not create it. I copied it from that presentation that was posted.

And I also mentioned that all 3 of those months were wetter than normal in the Seattle area. I said it was well spread out around here. And it was.

Got down to 38 this morning. Not earth shattering by any means, but a clear switch from the mild lows of September. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

12Z ECMWF shows highs in the low to mid 50s on Wednesday in the Seattle area... then mid to upper 50s on Thursday... the mid 60s for Friday and Saturday.

Pretty much sunny for 4 straight days... that will be nice.

Always have to qualify. Always.

The JAS map is accurate. I did not create it. I copied it from that presentation that was posted.

And I also mentioned that all 3 of those months were wetter than normal in the Seattle area. I said it was well spread out around here. And it was.

And my additional points were valid. You're wasting a lot of words. :lol:

12Z ECMWF shows highs in the low to mid 50s on Wednesday in the Seattle area... then mid to upper 50s on Thursday... the mid 60s for Friday and Saturday.

Pretty much sunny for 4 straight days... that will be nice.

Some nice October sunshine! Should be some clear cool nights as well. Going to be a good weekend to get outside if it verifies.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

And my additional points were valid. You're wasting a lot of words. :lol:

This is the definition of "flatironing".    Qualification for the sake of qualification.

Guest CulverJosh

Hoping precip overperforms with this week's cold trough. Looks pretty dry. Does look like the pacific jet gets energized with a parade of storms next week though.

Some nice October sunshine! Should be some clear cool nights as well. Going to be a good weekend to get outside if it verifies.

And a weak band of rain moving in on Saturday night falls apart before it moves inland on this run... so possibly a nice Sunday and Monday as well.

Hoping precip overperforms with this week's cold trough. Looks pretty dry. Does look like the pacific jet gets energized with a parade of storms next week though.

Not on the 12Z GFS.    Its pretty much dry all of next week as well.