August 2023 Weather in the PNW

Cascadia_Wx

5 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Live look from the weather porch. 

87BF1A2C-424E-4FB3-A508-131D711BCDE1.jpeg

Nice to see blue sky down there.   We are downwind from you now.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Nice to see blue sky down there.   We are downwind from you now.

It’s a very very muggy 63.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Quite the delicate balance in that the ULL is close enough to give us the instability needed for storms these next few days, but not enough to trigger any significant marine intrusion.

Unusual for us in the summer after a convective event to not see a significant corresponding push and a switch to onshore flow. Here we are just sustaining the warm to hot stuff for awhile as the pattern remains more or less stagnant.

• Like 5

Seattle has a rain shield from the south now. Probably won't even see a drop at my house 🤦‍♂️

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

30 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Rain is just a sprinkle but it shows me under moderate rain on radar. 

Barely enough to wet the ground here.   Looks like the ECMWF was right in showing basically no rain out here.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

30 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

And kind of a broken record at this point, but the low of 69 at PDX is the warmest on record for this point in the season.

I think Matt’s the only one that still finds this kind of record legitimately titillating.

• Weenie 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

37 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

And kind of a broken record at this point, but the low of 69 at PDX is the warmest on record for this point in the season.

Recurring theme this summer...PDX has managed to max out every opportunity for warmth more than anywhere else, basically.

• scream 1
  • Weenie 2

A forum for the end of the world.

10 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Recurring theme this summer...PDX has managed to max out every opportunity for warmth more than anywhere else, basically.

As proof:

- PDX is running the warmest anomaly of any major I-5 station this summer

- they were also the only one to equal or exceed their previous all-time record with the big heatwave this month

• Weenie 3
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Looks from radar like it's just moving into your area?

Places further south have picked up .10-.20".

Mostly passed my area now.   It did rain harder for maybe 10 minutes with a total of .02 so far.    Enough to create some puddles but not much else. 

23 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

As proof:

- PDX is running the warmest anomaly of any major I-5 station this summer

- they were also the only one to equal or exceed their previous all-time record with the big heatwave this month

Troutdale hit 110 and VUO hit 108, so there was plenty to corroborate that it was in fact an all-time level event for the Portland area. Even if it didn't happen to be for some other areas. NW OR and SW WA happened to be in the perfect position to both maximize the thermal trough and avoid the smoke that lingered further south. Trying to make it into a "PDX" issue is extremely reductive.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Troutdale hit 110 and VUO hit 108, so there was plenty to corroborate that it was in fact an all-time level event for the Portland area. Even if it didn't happen to be for some other areas. NW OR and SW WA happened to be in the perfect position to both maximize the thermal trough and avoid the smoke that lingered further south. Trying to make it into a "PDX" issue is extremely reductive.

1. I said "major I-5 stations". BLI, SEA, OLM, PDX, SLE, EUG we all acknowledge as these.

2. I agree, it's been a Portland metro thing in general. You're making an argument here that doesn't exist.

• lol 1
  • Weenie 2

9 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

1. I said "major I-5 stations". BLI, SEA, OLM, PDX, SLE, EUG we all acknowledge as these.

2. I agree, it's been a Portland metro thing in general. You're making an argument here that doesn't exist.

Lists!

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

8 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Lists!

Facts! All the weenies in the world don't change them.

I mean, I could have just said Portland instead of PDX, but the point was the same. No other major I-5 station or other major metro area has maximized the warmth this summer like PDX/Portland. It's not even debatable.

• Weenie 2
  • Shivering 1

22 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

If you agreed that it's been a Portland metro thing, then why were you making a point of narrowing it down exclusively to PDX? Like I said, that's reductive at best and intellectually dishonest at worst.

Edited by BLI snowman
  • Like 3
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Facts! All the weenies in the world don't change them.

I mean, I could have just said Portland instead of PDX, but the point was the same. No other major I-5 station or other major metro area has maximized the warmth this summer like PDX/Portland. It's not even debatable.

That’s crazy.

Folks in non-UHI havens like Eugene are probably like “uhhhh… what summer???” Lol!

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

19 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

If you agreed that it's been a Portland metro thing, then why were you making a point of narrowing it down exclusively to PDX? Like I said, that's reductive at best and intellectually dishonest at worst.

Context. The stat I was responding to was a PDX stat.

You assumed and I clarified. Nothing intellectually dishonest. And I really don't like being falsely accused of that.

• Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Just noticed the GFS wants to spin up a decent tropical storm in the gulf in a few days. None of the other models show something this strong, of course.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_20.png

I'll be North of Tampa for this. Euro has been showing it for days. 

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

4 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Just a reminder: this is the PDX stat. You posted it...that's why I said PDX.

And I would offer the reminder that OLM is currently sitting in 2nd place for hottest August, while further south EUG is absolutely blowing away their previous record by 2 degrees.

It's been extremely warm.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

And I would offer the reminder that OLM is currently sitting in 2nd place for hottest August, while further south EUG is absolutely blowing away their previous record by 2 degrees.

It's been extremely warm.

😲

No sh*t. Total deflection here, that wasn't even the discussion.

It's not that hard to say "oh gotcha, yeah I guess we actually agree". Since we did agree on my point about Portland metro maximizing their warmth opportunities more than anywhere else this summer. 

• Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

😲

It's not that hard to say "oh gotcha, yeah I guess we actually agree". Since we did agree on my point about Portland metro maximizing their warmth opportunities more than anywhere else this summer. 

You’re probably better off saying the WV region because Salem, Eugene, PDX all checked in very hot this summer and scorching August. This wasn’t just exclusive to PDX down there. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

😲

For that specific heat wave, yes.  For this month overall? We all know how Eugene is faring. Astoria isn't in the Portland metro and is tracking 1.6 degrees above their hottest August. Medford is 250 miles away and is tracking a degree above theirs, which of course was last year. PDX's performance does not stand out this month for western OR. 

And for July, PDX had their 6th warmest on record, while AST was 8th, EUG was 5th, and MFR was 4th. Again, they don't stand out.

• Facepalm 1