December 2023 Weather in the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

6 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Guessing wet grounds and maybe trees that still have leaves can cause more problems than otherwise.  

Another example is that our criteria here in  Leavenworth for WSW's and WWA's is often lowered for the first winter storm of the year, so the context can alter their criteria a bit.  

Just a guess though 

Suppose that makes sense. Though I’d think a special weather statement would suffice for that.

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

How do you get a high wind watch for 50mph gusts? That’s barely wind advisory criteria which is nationally standardized.

I already a tree fall in my neighborhood today at 20 mph. However it was dead and due to fall any day tbh.

• Windy 1
  • scream 1

1 minute ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

A SSW can be a game changer in the Winter, especially if it’s a major one like what this one looks like it’s gonna be. A major SSW event can overpower an El Niño like in 1968-69. Sometimes it only takes 2 weeks to feel the downstream effects of an SSW and to deliver an Arctic Blast down to the continental USA. The January 2019 SSW is an example of this. 

I’m not counting my chickens before they hatch. Want to see it get closer before getting excited. 😶

• Like 2
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

4 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

I already a tree fall in my neighborhood today at 20 mph. However it was dead and due to fall any day tbh.

The next big time windstorm is going to drop at least 50% of the trees in my Everett family’s neighborhood. So many tall, skinny, diseased softwoods with houses right underneath them.

Gonna be ugly when it inevitably happens.

I looked up the criteria for all sorts of advisors and warnings. Technically, the NWS is correct. I believe the reason why they issue advisories is to inform the public that there is a chance of high winds between such and such time and day. There are a lot of people who are not weather geek's like us and are not well informed about the upcoming weather. This way people are informed. 

criteria_231201_165626.jpg

Screenshot_20231201_170018_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

image.gif.e72341365793ec73db8d31f2186d0c3d.gif

IMG_6508.png

Holy frick. 😂 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

How do you get a high wind watch for 50mph gusts? That’s barely wind advisory criteria which is nationally standardized.

The wind direction also plays a part. South winds above 40-45mph are pretty rare here  and thus a lot more potentially impactful when they do occur since the trees around most of the Portland-Vancouver area have evolved more to deal with the east winds we get from the gorge.

That being said, this looks pretty run-of-the-mill in terms of wind setups.

• Like 5

Had .5 today to add to my .10 total. While I was measuring the snow I got a call from a paramedic and my wife who spun out due to some ice or snow on Alpowa Summit although the road was clear when I drove out there. They went right around the time that late morning/early PM band went right throug SE WA and slammed into a car and the rail. Her and my MIl are in the hospital in Lewiston tonight. I'm home with my son who is thrilled that I'm letting him play SIMS tonight. MIL has a severed spinal cord and paralyzed and is being flown to Boise. My wife may get flown elsewhere with ankle and bone injuries. She has it rough but better.

On a weather note the winds are picking up before tomorrow's windstorm and the snow has become rain.

• Sad 8
  • scream 4

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2024-2025 Snowfall totals:

HIghest snow total (per event): 

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 

First Freeze: TBD

Last Sub freezing Day: 

Coldest low:

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

I was wondering if someone would know this. I bought a Tempest weather station but I really want a display that I can put on my nightstand. I like that I can see it on my phone but when I'm home, I like to see it without looking at my phone. Does anyone know a good display I can get off of Amazon or someplace else? Thanks. 

16 minutes ago, LowerGarfield said:

Had .5 today to add to my .10 total. While I was measuring the snow I got a call from a paramedic and my wife who spun out due to some ice or snow on Alpowa Summit although the road was clear when I drove out there. They went right around the time that late morning/early PM band went right throug SE WA and slammed into a car and the rail. Her and my MIl are in the hospital in Lewiston tonight. I'm home with my son who is thrilled that I'm letting him play SIMS tonight. MIL has a severed spinal cord and paralyzed and is being flown to Boise. My wife may get flown elsewhere with ankle and bone injuries. She has it rough but better.

On a weather note the winds are picking up before tomorrow's windstorm and the snow has become rain.

Good god man that’s awful. I’m so sorry for you and your wife and her mother. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LowerGarfield said:

Thinking good thoughts for you and them. That really stinks. I'm so sorry.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Between pea and marble sized hail coming down at times, this is insane.  Opened the door to look outside and the thunder ripped and a lightning bolt came down just to our north in the hills, what a treat!!

Decent thunderstorm right over Aberdeen right now.

IMG_6025.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Storm 2

2024 Warm Season Stats

Number of 80+ days - 21

Number of 85+ days - 17

Number of 90+ days - 3

Number of 95+ days - 2 (Warmest so far - 96)

Number of 60+ lows - 1

Low of 41 tonight. 
Humidity 62%
Light wind, downright chilly.  

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Record Rainfall - 62.65"   Record High Temp. 120.0*F
Record 
Low Temp. - 8.4*F