December 2023 Weather in the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

It’s coming. 

This ain't too shabby and there is support from the ECMWF suite of models.

1702285200-xvh3EeXWN8g.png

• Like 4
  • Excited 1
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

15 hours ago, LowerGarfield said:

Had .5 today to add to my .10 total. While I was measuring the snow I got a call from a paramedic and my wife who spun out due to some ice or snow on Alpowa Summit although the road was clear when I drove out there. They went right around the time that late morning/early PM band went right throug SE WA and slammed into a car and the rail. Her and my MIl are in the hospital in Lewiston tonight. I'm home with my son who is thrilled that I'm letting him play SIMS tonight. MIL has a severed spinal cord and paralyzed and is being flown to Boise. My wife may get flown elsewhere with ankle and bone injuries. She has it rough but better.

On a weather note the winds are picking up before tomorrow's windstorm and the snow has become rain.

I feel terrible about your MIL.  Things like this are a reminder that as much as we like and cold and snow there is often a price.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 hours ago, Blizzard777 said:

41 mph gust Federal way 

a few power outages around me 

We have been totally blocked from the wind.  Pretty much nothing last night / this morning.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

15 hours ago, Ken in Wood Village said:

I was wondering if someone would know this. I bought a Tempest weather station but I really want a display that I can put on my nightstand. I like that I can see it on my phone but when I'm home, I like to see it without looking at my phone. Does anyone know a good display I can get off of Amazon or someplace else? Thanks. 

You can set up an Raspberry Pi and display to do that.  You should be able to do with with a Rpi3 which should be about $50 (or less) and a display screen/case for $70 or so.

Here is a software solution:  https://github.com/peted-davis/WeatherFlow_PiConsole

They are not too difficult to set up.

There is also this:  ... a $50 Amazon Fire 7 tablet running the WF Android app (or Fully Kiosk Browser to a web site) is a steal.

That is a piece out of a larger post on the topic of displays for Tempest stations.  The person was saying that the tablet was a steal compared to the Rpi set up....

• Like 4

15 hours ago, LowerGarfield said:

Had .5 today to add to my .10 total. While I was measuring the snow I got a call from a paramedic and my wife who spun out due to some ice or snow on Alpowa Summit although the road was clear when I drove out there. They went right around the time that late morning/early PM band went right throug SE WA and slammed into a car and the rail. Her and my MIl are in the hospital in Lewiston tonight. I'm home with my son who is thrilled that I'm letting him play SIMS tonight. MIL has a severed spinal cord and paralyzed and is being flown to Boise. My wife may get flown elsewhere with ankle and bone injuries. She has it rough but better.

On a weather note the winds are picking up before tomorrow's windstorm and the snow has become rain.

That's rough, sorry to hear that.  Hoping for a speedy recovery for both.  The spinal cord injury is devastating, but they have made some amazing strides in terms of treatments.  Hopefully your MIL will get lucky.  A buddy of mine from high school was told he would never walk again, but walks with the aid of crutches now.

You and your family are in my thoughts

• Like 2

.12" on Thursday, .68" yesterday, and .22" today.  I woke up to the side of the house getting pressure washed about 2-2:30 this morning.  Sun came out an hour or so ago.

• Rain 1

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

.12" on Thursday, .68" yesterday, and .22" today.  I woke up to the side of the house getting pressure washed about 2-2:30 this morning.  Sun came out an hour or so ago.

Sun just came out here. A break between the drenchings.

• bongocat-test 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

Something is brewing.  This is better than the 6z and it showed solidly minus PNA and EPO for week 2.

1702728000-8efOniqtTdA.png

• Like 6

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I still think we are going to catch a little bit of magic this winter.  To me this season just doesn't have a Nino feel to it yet.  Still very possible the second half of the winter will go into that dreaded El Nino pattern that we all hate so much, but not yet.

• Snow 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The cold, dry period slated for next weekend appears to be falling by the wayside on the 12Z ECMWF.    Trough doesn't dig nearly as much into the SW leaving the door open for more activity up here.    00Z run also went in the same direction.  

• Weenie 1
  • Shivering 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

December 2015 vibes.

Hadnt emptied the rain gauge since Thursday. Picked up 2.33” in that time. 

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I just hid all the posts from that devolving conversation, including my own post that started it. I wrongly assumed we could handle a little humor but we all failed, myself included. Let’s keep wx-side on topic going forward. 👍 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

December 2015 vibes.

Hadnt emptied the rain gauge since Thursday. Picked up 2.33” in that time. 

Hope so!   Mountains get absolutely buried and then we have a white Christmas and New Years here and then spring arrives in February.   👍

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

27 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I still think we are going to catch a little bit of magic this winter.  To me this season just doesn't have a Nino feel to it yet.  Still very possible the second half of the winter will go into that dreaded El Nino pattern that we all hate so much, but not yet.

It’s possible, but I wouldn’t say it’s probable. Will take something substantial to overcome such a potent El Niño.

Top-tier, wave-2/split type SSW is (probably?) the only way to do it.

• Snow 1
  • Weenie 1

16 hours ago, LowerGarfield said:

I just saw your post and want to express my sympathy to you and your family.  I will pray for a quick recovery for your wife and MiL and for you to have some peace amid this unfortunate event.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Hope so!   Mountains get absolutely buried and then we have a white Christmas and New Years here and then spring arrives in February.   👍

I could settle for that winter. Was an absolute torch here (warmest winter on record until last year) but we had one week of bliss.

IMG_7832.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Popcorn 1

20 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

If I had to pick I'd probably rather have a super snowy start to the season than end to the season. At least if the mountains get buried in December they'll stay buried for a couple months versus nothing until late in the season.

Looks like both Baker and Paradise are nearing 50" of snow depth and have picked up 30" so far since Thursday.

• Like 6

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

11 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

The wind was crazy lastnight.  55 mph gust

Not sure what it was here... but it had to be similar.   It was right up there with the strongest wind I have heard here.  Not the strongest but top tier.   Ear popping roar for about 2 hours.   But no visible damage and power didn't even flicker.   

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tyler Mode said:

Had a powerful front move through around 630.  Power went out, people were thinking a tornado.

Reality was the wind direction switching so quickly and slamming north facing windows with very heavy rain.

12.2.23 Pressure.jpg

12.2.23 Wind.jpg

That was a pretty dynamic system.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

The cold, dry period slated for next weekend appears to be falling by the wayside on the 12Z ECMWF.    Trough doesn't dig nearly as much into the SW leaving the door open for more activity up here.    00Z run also went in the same direction.  

The models are still trying to sort it out.  Speaking from past experience the type of drenching we are about to receive should lead to a significant cold snap a bit down the road.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, TacomaWx said:

Pretty big rain totals up here at our jobsites on highway 18 and I-90. Will probably be doing some 18-24 hour shifts coming up with these big rain totals. Getting a break in the rain here on the raging river. 

You're working on that?  Quite a project!

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, RentonHill said:

This could be our ticket.  I went into this winter with low expectations, but what I have been seeing gives me some hope at least into early to mid January.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Pretty big rain totals up here at our jobsites on highway 18 and I-90. Will probably be doing some 18-24 hour shifts coming up with these big rain totals. Getting a break in the rain here on the raging river. 

That sounds dangerous.  

• Like 2

The cold air has already been destroyed over the southern 3/4 of Central and Eastern WA.  Last night it was frigid over there and now upper 30s to mid 40s.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3