Christmas Blizzard 12/20 - 12/28

Tom

8 hours ago, gabel23 said:

Looks like the current gfs and today’s euro. 

IMG_3019.png

My gut the other day was right and I firmly believe your in the game!  I had a thought the other day that this storm had some '09 flavor and wouldn't ya know...now a lot of our NE members could see the flakes flying on Christmas night!  What a delight that will be!

• Like 4

I picked up 0.43" at my place from the rain last night. That puts me at 0.99" on the month. 

The next leg of the storm ought to be wetter. Models disagree on totals as convection looks to be active, but 1-2" seems like a reasonable bet with some locally higher spots southeast of here. So this ought to bring us up to about normal for the month. I don't see any other big systems through the end of the year down here. 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Rain 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

6 hours ago, gabel23 said:

Looks like euro is holding true. I’m loving the trends tonight… The only problem is what happens to the area of low pressure? Looks like trends are slowing down and the euro has occlusion occurring over Iowa; that would bode well for heavy snow to the northwest. Gfs, cmc, and nam are also starting to show that as of tonight…

I would love to see this storm create that tight spin on radar and satellite which can produce an "Eye" like in a Hurricane.  Based on what I'm seeing, this system can certainly produce such an event.  There is no doubt in my mind that this system will be dynamic.  The valley out here is expecting to see training thunderstorms as the powerful ULL tracks into the area.

Speaking of rain, a wall of rain just started to come down out here....let it rain!

Screen Shot 2023-12-22 at 6.02.07 AM.png

• Like 4
  • Storm 1
  • Rain 2

A nice improvement in snow totals on the latest NBM this morning.

I've been hesitant to share this model because NWS FSD has mentioned a couple times in recent AFDs that they believe it's bias-correcting temperatures are overdoing it. They have said that it doesn't always perform the best during a pattern change because it bias-corrects based on recent observations, which in this case it has been warmer than modeled for so long that it wants to automatically correct in that direction. They expect it to lower temperatures in upcoming runs, which this could be a sign of it starting to do.

image.png

• Like 3

The NBM is just the NWS Blend of Models, so it's taking all the models input and "blending" them together to put out essentially an average forecast between the models.  In a sense it's an ensemble forecast.  Without knowing or understanding the inputs it's hard to make a lot of conclusions, but in my experience looking at it, it usually is slow to update to new trends. I'm guessing because it probably includes older model runs in it, so until those filter out it still influences it's final forecast.  I could be off base, but that is how I have understood it over the years.

• Like 2

The further north track on the low makes sense to me that we are seeing this morning. It keeps the snow out of here too but I never really expected it either. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

7 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

The NBM is just the NWS Blend of Models, so it's taking all the models input and "blending" them together to put out essentially an average forecast between the models.  In a sense it's an ensemble forecast.  Without knowing or understanding the inputs it's hard to make a lot of conclusions, but in my experience looking at it, it usually is slow to update to new trends. I'm guessing because it probably includes older model runs in it, so until those filter out it still influences it's final forecast.  I could be off base, but that is how I have understood it over the years.

Here's a snippet from yesterday morning's FSD AFD that explains a little better what I ineloquently discussed above. You're correct in that it blends models together to give a single output but it also has bias-correcting features baked in that cause it to struggle a little more when experiencing a pattern change.

Adding to this challenge
is NBM probabilities for rain remain higher than the freezing/frozen
precip types at times, even while the NBM mean surface temperature
falls below freezing. This may be due, in part, to NBM temperatures
incorporating some level of bias-corrected members (correction to a
model forecast based on previous verification errors), and this bias
correction tends to be overdone during pattern significant pattern
changes such as we are seeing with this system, coming out of a
prolonged dry stretch in which diurnal ranges were maximized. At the
same time, precipitation probabilities do not take these temperature
corrections into account, which would seem to imply that the raw
membership of the NBM is favoring a warmer scenario despite what the
mean temperatures may indicate.

There is a terrible model trend for eastern Iowa.  For days, models showed the north-south band of rain training up through the area.  However, the upper low is now being shifted west, which leads to the training rain shifting west and dry air being pulled into eastern Iowa from the east.  Also, the surface low now stalls farther west and north, so we now get dry-slotted with no wrap-around precip.  At this point I think 2" of rain is gone and we have to hope we can get 1".  🤬

Look at this ridiculous change on the GFS in only 24 hours. 🤦‍♂️

trend-gfs-2023122112-f120.500hv.conus.thumb.gif.a534e3e8cbc661685df34e67b75caa4c.gif

image.thumb.png.3f0b39fb642f4bdb4bc12d88fc81a1d8.png

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Meanwhile, the 12z CMC is way heavier on the backside of the initial band on Christmas Eve. Some spots wake up Christmas morning with 2-6 inches on the ground. This is before the second low really gets its act together over Iowa.

image.png

image.png

Which leads to this by the time we get to midnight on Wednesday (and it's still snowing by this point). Wow. I guess you could say the CMC has come around big time to the GFS/Euro solutions.

image.png

• Confused 1
  • Snow 2

Here's a comparison of the 12z GFS and CMC side-by-side by the time the snow has ended. Add in recent Euro runs and I'd say it's starting to become a better bet that some places are going to get slammed, barring a last minute collapse in the models.

What a nice trend we are experiencing down the home stretch...

image.png

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Models always seem to struggle with these types of systems.  This one seems no different with wild swings from run to run and widely varying solutions.  The general idea is there, so that's the good news.  But where this thing ultimately ends up and how much is anyone's guess right now.  Gonna be fun to watch it unfold, even though I'm clearly on the warm side of this storm through it's duration.  Just hoping to get some heavy rain out of it. 

• Like 6

The CMC is the last model showing any snow here in Christmas. It doesn't look realistic either so I am just banking on enjoying the heavy rains the day before at this point. 

• Like 2

I’m sitting here reading all your posts and watching the models and thinking I’m right with y’all tracking a potential Christmas festive miracle!  It’s exciting to see this storms evolution in the data that’s coming in.  @Grizzcoat, I pray that the snow Gods deliver for your area so that the NWS Mets eat crow!  They should know better.

• Like 5