January 2024 Weather in the PNW (Part I)

Just now, Meatyorologist said:

Dude this is emperically untrue. The pattern looks great.

Block support on the Euro is pretty shaky. Kind of reminds me of some of the NAO-dependent solutions from last December which overrode a lot of upstream issues. 

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

9 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

We get it. Atlantic RULES, Pacific DROOLS.

Size isn't everything...

Lol. In a niña year, the NPAC doesn’t need any help. In a niño year the importance of the NATL is much more integral, if not a prerequisite.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

This guy is actually legitimately starting to worry me. Some very strange behavioral tendencies that are a little concerning if I'm being honest.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 3
  • Shivering 1

18 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

If this verifies do we still get an arctic blast next winter?! 

I don't think any of us are truly prepared for how terrible 2024-25 is going to be if this comes to pass.

Going to be Baja Blast levels of Dew.

• Excited 1
  • Rain 1

3 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

The North Pacific block is stronger in all 3 major models at day 8. The -NAO is easily weaker than than the Pacific block in 2 of the 3 models.

What's the common denominator?

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

The North Pacific block is stronger in all 3 major models at day 8. The -NAO is easily weaker than than the Pacific block in 2 of the 3 models.

What's the common denominator?

The arctic blast hasn’t occurred at day 8. And you’re conflating 500mb anomalies with actual heights and wavebreaks/blocks.

With all due respect, it is clear you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

• Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 2
  • scream 1
  • Shivering 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

In a niña year, the NPAC doesn’t need any help. In a niño year the importance of the NATL is much more integral, if not a prerequisite.

GOA/EPO blocking is 95% a prerequisite for the PNW, regardless of ENSO state.

In general, the more high latitude blocking, the better for mid latitude cold. But you gotta have it in the right place for PNW arctic air.

You can argue until you're purple that -NAO matters in Ninos and I tend to agree it helps. But look at previous Nino PNW blasts...gotta still have a favorable Pacific. And not all included a 1969 -NAO.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

The arctic blast hasn’t occurred at day 8. And you’re conflating 500mb anomalies with actual heights and wavebreaks/blocks.

With all due respect, it is clear you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

If you think what's happening at day 8 is irrelevant to the Arctic blast...

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

The pattern does look great. I’m responding to Flatiron’s erroneous interpretation of what is driving the pattern.

Please read more carefully next time.

• Popcorn 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

If you think what's happening at day 8 is irrelevant to the Arctic blast...

Good lord. It’s like I’m talking to a brick wall.

• Popcorn 1

11 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Block support on the Euro is pretty shaky. Kind of reminds me of some of the NAO-dependent solutions from last December which overrode a lot of upstream issues. 

If only it weren't the Euro

• Like 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

6 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Massive improvement on the EPS. Doubled totals from the 12z

12202413.png

Wow!! Epic improvement! 

• Like 6

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

GOA/EPO blocking is 95% a prerequisite for the PNW, regardless of ENSO state.

In general, the more high latitude blocking, the better for mid latitude cold. But you gotta have it in the right place for PNW arctic air.

You can argue until you're purple that -NAO matters in Ninos and I tend to agree it helps. But look at previous Nino PNW blasts...gotta still have a favorable Pacific. And not all included a 1969 -NAO.

Now you’re moving the goalposts, friend. Of course you need a favorable Pacific (or at least you can’t have an unfavorable Pacific..Feb 2021 occurred with a +PNA).

That doesn’t mean the GOA block is responsible for the meridional advection of the arctic airmass. We wouldn’t be posting here right now if not for the 4SD -NAO projected across guidance.

• Popcorn 1

2yrs ago today it was over. That video was of major icicle drippage. 

IMG_1523.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I still have to finish the forum shut down and I shouldn’t stop for this nonevent. If Double PhD, Doctor and recently knighted OBE Sir Phillip W of the Maryland Tundra is correct, I don’t know what we are getting all worked up over when the the -ïøð is in a negative occupation that only occurs with the transit of the moon with the mega Nino and is on the higher end of the Antarctic Node Ambient Lift Recumbent Annual Periodical Indian Sea Temperature index, or A.N. - A.L.R. - A.P. Indian modal.

Anyway, I’ve got some database work to finish later tonight and I’m very very tired after getting back from the green chili capital of the world. I owe Tim an apology as the real villain was in front of us all along.

• Like 9
  • Excited 1
  • Popcorn 2
  • Spam 1
  • bongocat-test 1

4 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

The blocking precedes the Arctic blast, my guy.

How can you be so wrong? Dude.

Absent blocking that airmass stalls well before it reaches the border. What is driving it south D8 onwards?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, iFred said:

I still have to finish the forum shut down and I shouldn’t stop for this nonevent. If Double PhD, Doctor and recently knighted OBE Sir Phillip W of the Maryland Tundra is correct, I don’t know what we are getting all worked up over when the the -ïøð is in a negative occupation that only occurs with the transit of the moon with the mega Nino and is on the higher end of the Antarctic Node Ambient Lift Recumbent Annual Periodical Indian Sea Temperature index, or A.N. - A.L.R. - A.P. Indian modal.

Anyway, I’ve got some database work to finish later tonight and I’m very very tired after getting back from the green chili capital of the world. I owe Tim an apology as the real villain was in front of us all along.

🥱 

24 minutes ago, SpaceRace22 said:

This guy is actually legitimately starting to worry me. Some very strange behavioral tendencies that are a little concerning if I'm being honest.

What was your former account?