March 2024 Weather in the PNW

Snowing here at the office in Salem now. 

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

33 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

The magic elevation around the sound is 1200ft. If you had a place at 1200 near the foothills you would have massive snowy winters.

Lake King by Duvall/Monroe gets up to 1400 ft. Not very populated so I can never find snow stats unfortunately 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Lake King by Duvall/Monroe gets up to 1400 ft. Not very populated so I can never find snow stats unfortunately 

2 years ago i missed some land on gold mountain at 1200ft, there is a small area of public land otherwise its state land or state forest. it was 40 acres. I would of been in heaven there. Massive difference in winter climate at that level.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

40F and cloudy. Seasonably cool day.

• Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

5 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Gfs shows a ridge the day after the ecmwf does and the nw flow just blows right through it and back to a mountain snow pattern.

Based on the EPS... its probably safe to say the GFS is lost.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

59 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

lol time is really running out here in Tacoma for measurable snowfall. My guess is we’re going to end this cold season without even a 1/4” of snow IMBY. 

I assume Jim’s area got shut out as well.  Poor guy, really set himself up for disappointment with this set up.  He absolutely has to move.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, ShawniganLake said:

I assume Jim’s area got shut out as well.  Poor guy, really set himself up for disappointment with this set up.  He absolutely has to move.  

So far yes... but he has one last shot tonight.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I have no idea. I doubt we see a warm ridge get locked into the area for days. 

Might be 5-7 days.    But the EPS has been very consistent and we are past the final stratospheric warming now so that is not available to throw a wrench in things like we just experienced.

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

That would be wonderful.

I agree, no reason to root for warm dry weather yet. But i also understand the people rooting for it wanting it. This pattern is very good for our region and we need to hold it as long as possible.

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I wish Jim would move, even if just a better spot near where he is now.

Surely he could move somewhere with a little elevation without having to completely overhaul his work/family situation.   He almost has to do it for his sanity. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Lol, yeah it sucks but it is what it is here. Some years just don’t perform. I think Jim’s willingness to ingnore unfavorable details and wishcasting kind of bites him in the a** and sets him up for disappointment. I love his optimism and enthusiasm for this stuff but it was the same thing last year this time as well. He constantly kept getting mad over marginal events not working out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • scream 1

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I agree, no reason to root for warm dry weather yet. But i also understand the people rooting for it wanting it. This pattern is very good for our region and we need to hold it as long as possible.

Some warm sunny days (60s) scattered in there wouldn’t bother me at all at this point. Let’s just hope it’s in moderation. The trouble with warm and dry patterns these days is whenever we get them it they want to hold on and never let go. Spring is typically an up and down time of year through June. I think recent transplants have gotten used to dependably warm and dry summer weather starting the last half of April.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

Lol, yeah it sucks but it is what it is here. Some years just don’t perform. I think Jim’s willingness to ingnore unfavorable details and wishcasting kind of bites him in the a** and sets him up for disappointment. I love his optimism and enthusiasm for this stuff but it was the same thing last year this time as well. He constantly kept getting mad over marginal events not working out. 

This is much more than a last year thing. The pattern has been going on for close to two decades now, from what I’ve seen.

• Like 1

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

This is much more than a last year thing. The pattern has been going on for close to two decades now, from what I’ve seen.

Oh yeah as long as I’ve been here he’s been this way. I was just using the late February/early March period last year as an example. I don’t mean my comment to be offensive to him…but he just ignores forecasting details that show things he doesn’t like. When you do that you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. 

• Like 1

Just now, TacomaWx said:

Oh yeah as long as I’ve been here he’s been this way. I was just using the late February/early March period last year as an example. I don’t mean my comment to be offensive to him…but he just ignores forecasting details that show things he doesn’t like. When you do that you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Jim has a good heart and I wish good things for him, but yeah in many ways he’s his own worst enemy with this stuff.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Some warm sunny days (60s) scattered in there wouldn’t bother me at all at this point. Let’s just hope it’s in moderation. The trouble with warm and dry patterns these days is whenever we get them it they want to hold on and never let go. Spring is typically an up and down time of year through June. I think recent transplants have gotten used to dependably warm and dry summer weather starting the last half of April.

Transplants again!    Literally always on your mind    😀

Maybe natives need to get used to a warming climate?   Who knows?   I know soooo many natives who also love to cheer on spring even though we all know its up and down.    There is not that much of a difference.   Its just human nature.   But you absolutely love to categorize and generalize people.   Must have divisions.   

• Like 1
  • Troll 1

5 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Could be the best ski day of the season at crystal, 14 degrees at the top and blue bird ski with no wind. 100% perfect powder day

Surely the best day if groomers are your thing but off piste didn’t quite get enough new snow overnight to soften every thing up.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Based on the EPS... its probably safe to say the GFS is lost.  

Other than the EPS is also retrograding the pattern at the end. Lol

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.