March 2024 Weather in the PNW

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Looks like the 925 falls just after 1am when precip actually rolls in. 

There is just not much precip at all... but it does show some over King County early tomorrow morning.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The 18z ECMWF has legit snow here early Saturday night and Sunday night.  I have little doubt anything that falls between 6z and 15z this weekend and early next week will be snow.  Just have to wait and see if precip actually falls in that time frame.

1709586000-q0LjyMjyiEs.png

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The Monday system just zips through Oregon on the 18Z ECMWF.     Seems to be the default lately.  

ecmwf-deterministic-nw-precip_1hr_inch-1709316000-1709564400-1709640000-10.gif

ecmwf-deterministic-nw-snow_24hr_kuchera-9640000.png

• Sick 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

The 18z ECMWF has legit snow here early Saturday night and Sunday night.  I have little doubt anything that falls between 6z and 15z this weekend and early next week will be snow.  Just have to wait and see if precip actually falls in that time frame.

1709586000-q0LjyMjyiEs.png

About half of that falls between 1-7 p.m. tomorrow with a strong south wind and 925 temps around 0C.    I am skeptical about that.

Snapped this photo this morning of PooPoo Point in Issaquah. Thought it was interesting that the snowline was higher on the ridges than on the lower spots. There was this wave effect across the mountains there on both sides of the valley. Not sure what would cause it but super fascinating. Figure it's some kind of cold sink, but wasn't quite sure of the dynamics behind vertical cold damning or whatever over such a small scale. It really shows how fine the line between accumulating snow and cold rain is right now.

20240301_082323.jpg

• Like 2

ECMWF is way too far south with the system early next week for Seattle.  The consolation prize is it pulls some good north winds down Puget Sound and probably some Canadian air.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

About half of that falls between 1-7 p.m. tomorrow with a strong south wind and 925 temps around 0C.    I am skeptical about that.

The Sunday night one is totally legit.  That looks like our best shot.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, snow_wizard said:

The Sunday night one is totally legit.  That looks like our best shot.

Agreed.  

3 hours ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Currently raining with occasional flakes here at 600+ feet. 

Went for a walk up the ridge behind my house. Encountered heavy snow falling around 1500-1600 feet of elevation. Probably about 12 inches of new snow right around 1900 feet. 

IMG_6201.thumb.jpeg.3738c55c187498c97a5ffea51c77f5a9.jpeg

SnowHasArrived

• lol 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

The inch of snow the ECMWF shows tonight could happen.  It comes at the coldest possible time and the airmass looks cold enough.  I'm just skeptical of the moisture on that one.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, MWG said:

Breezy

image.png.f3fc57030e5b618ef7443235a15d473d.png

50?  Eeeew!

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Kuchera for that time frame (cm):

nam-nest-vancouverski-snow_24hr_kuchera_cm-9488800.thumb.png.575116a02ed30578a2945e6d8d5202e1.png

That's the NAM.  We were talking about the ECMWF.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

The inch of snow the ECMWF shows tonight could happen.  It comes at the coldest possible time and the airmass looks cold enough.  I'm just skeptical of the moisture on that one.

NAM 3km shows something, too.

nam-nest-vancouverski-snow_24hr_kuchera_cm-9402400.thumb.png.cf5647ed49364bb78bbb01f2629234d1.png

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

7 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

For once I’d like to be surprised. I just don’t trust the Euro anymore this season. 

7 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Kuchera for that time frame (cm):

nam-nest-vancouverski-snow_24hr_kuchera_cm-9488800.thumb.png.575116a02ed30578a2945e6d8d5202e1.png

We were actually talking about the Sunday night period being the best chance.    That map ends at 10 a.m. on Sunday.

• Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

You mean early tomorrow morning?   

image.gif

Not a single weather model has the current low under handle. Some are too strong, some too weak. Most are behind in timing by a few hours. Nowcast kind of night ahead (though I don't think there is any alternative during marginal setups.)

• Like 4

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Low of 33 here this morning. Just missed out on a freeze. Had a high of 42.

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Bitcoin is up!! Almost time to sell again!!!!!

Boomers finally buying. Halving coming up. Supply shortage incoming. I wouldn’t sell below 200k.

• lol 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

1 minute ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Boomers finally buying. Halving coming up. Supply shortage incoming. I wouldn’t sell below 200k.

I bought 50 coins in 2015 for 20k. Still have 43 coins. 

• Like 2
  • Excited 2
  • scream 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 hour ago, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

Snapped this photo this morning of PooPoo Point in Issaquah. Thought it was interesting that the snowline was higher on the ridges than on the lower spots. There was this wave effect across the mountains there on both sides of the valley. Not sure what would cause it but super fascinating. Figure it's some kind of cold sink, but wasn't quite sure of the dynamics behind vertical cold damning or whatever over such a small scale. It really shows how fine the line between accumulating snow and cold rain is right now.

20240301_082323.jpg

Tiger Mountain has crazy microclimates. The snow level always seems to be lower on the east side and in some of the interior low spots. The west side never gets as much snow. If you’re hiking it you’ll always find more snow on the Preston trail behind Tiger 1 than elsewhere despite the elevation being the same or lower there than some of the other spots. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Tiger Mountain has crazy microclimates. The snow level always seems to be lower on the east side and in some of the interior low spots. The west side never gets as much snow. If you’re hiking it you’ll always find more snow on the Preston trail behind Tiger 1 than elsewhere despite the elevation being the same or lower there than some of the other spots. 

You sound like a complete outsider who knows nothing about this region and climate and should move away.

• lol 3
  • Confused 1
  • bongocat-test 1

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Why would you say that??

He said he was looking forward to spring and moving the clocks ahead and someone said maybe he should move.    No idea why they would say that.