January 2015 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

Skagit Weather

Then best for you to not even bring it up unless it looks promising for the west side.

Huh? There's a consensus for an upcoming poleward mass displacement (blocking) event. Exactly where the cold goes won't be settled for another 7-10 days.

So, yes, there's every reason to bring it up.

Yes?

Then please try and act like it? I'm relaying meteorological data and trying to interpret it as best as I can. I'm not "looking for a fix".

Totally rude.

Huh? There's a consensus for an upcoming poleward mass displacement (blocking) event. Exactly where the cold goes won't be settled for another 7-10 days.

So, yes, there's every reason to bring it up.

You probably had to know that someone was going to take a dislike to you're posting something that basically shows the likelihood of a continuing warm west / cold east theme.  It was pretty much a foregone conclusion.  Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if we got in on some of it as well, but odds are probably not in our favor. 

You probably had to know that someone was going to take a dislike to you're posting something that basically shows the likelihood of a continuing warm west / cold east theme. It was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if we got in on some of it as well, but odds are probably not in our favor.

I'm not sure where the core of the cold will go. You're always in the game when you've got +2SD eddy heat flux and WPAC forcing.

That's nothing to troll over..

This is somewhat interesting; the ECMWF picked up on something similar awhile ago then dropped it. Looks like it's back, albeit, weaker. Beats being under the ridge.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2015011600/gfs_z500_mslp_namer_11.png

Could be worse at hr 240, I like the way the gradients are setting up there, also given the 12Z Euro was so dramatically different it shows the pattern end of month is far from settled:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2015011600/gfs_z500_mslp_namer_41.png

At least some slightly interesting weather today.

Went from 30 degrees with thick frost at 8 AM to heavy rain at 2 PM here.

And now it's 25 degrees and dumping snow at Snoqualmie Pass.

• Like 3

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Washington Cascades getting blasted tonight. Snow is quite a bit heavier at Snoqualmie than I expected. 

http://images.wsdot.wa.gov/sc/090VC05200.jpg?1421385935942

http://images.wsdot.wa.gov/us2/stvldg/sumtwest.jpg

Leavenworth is looking snowy as well

http://images.wsdot.wa.gov/US2/Leavenworth/9thEvans/9thEvans.jpg

• Like 3

Monday storms also looks better for snow

The models trended much better for tonight's mountain snow over the last few days. Much more moisture and lower snow levels.

A few days ago the WRF was showing just a couple inches for Snoqualmie Pass and now it looks like they could get close to a foot tonight.

Same thing might be happening for Sunday-Monday.

• Like 3

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

The models trended much better for tonight's mountain snow over the last few days.

A few days ago the WRF was showing just a couple inches for Snoqualmie Pass and now it looks like they could get close to a foot.

Yea I noticed that too, but I have a meadows pass this year, I guess I should change my location too.

If you ignore the cut off low off the California coast, hour 384 is an absolutely classic retrogression set up.

#20dayGFS!

Yeah, too bad the details at hour 384 are just not there for us once again...sigh. Onto the 06z...

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

The 0Z progression doesn't look too bad; keep a lid on the PNA ridging until the Aleutian low weakens later in the month and we may yet see some snow. It's not all that different from what the previous GFS runs have shown in the 10-15 day range with ridging progressing into the Bering Sea. Yet very different from what the last few ECMWF runs have shown, with ridging amplifying up the coast toward day 10; if that happens we can say goodbye to any chance at snow/Arctic air for at least another 2 weeks. If the GFS wins out we may yet have another window of opportunity end of month.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2015011600/gfs_T850_namer_53.png

Not sure why you left out years like 1923, 1926, 1934, and 1936. The fall PDO doesn't exactly portend how likable the winter will be for us. It was only in 2012 when we were getting historically -PDO in September. Didn't help us.

Because the PDO measurements prior to 1950 are less reliable.

A forum for the end of the world.

The 0Z progression doesn't look too bad; keep a lid on the PNA ridging until the Aleutian low weakens later in the month and we may yet see some snow. It's not all that different from what the previous GFS runs have shown in the 10-15 day range with ridging progressing into the Bering Sea. Yet very different from what the last few ECMWF runs have shown, with ridging amplifying up the coast toward day 10; if that happens we can say goodbye to any chance at snow/Arctic air for at least another 2 weeks. If the GFS wins out we may yet have another window of opportunity end of month.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2015011600/gfs_T850_namer_53.png

So are we looking at the .. new and improved version here in fact. ?  (Pardon my naivete. I don't check the models regularly.)  Certainly looks as if. 

Regarding your supposition more positive here above, otherwise. I agree. .. If with seeing perhaps even a bit more potential at that point than depicted here. 

---

ECMWF weeklies are almost incomprehensibly frigid for the US during week 2..wow

Except the NW I suppose.

The GFS ensemble certainly shows heights going above normal over Alaska and the Aleutians, but it appears the details aren't right to bring major cold into the NW.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The PDO will remain positive for most (if not all) of 2015..

I sure hope you're wrong.  That means more of the same old crap that we saw in 2014.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Your pessimism is encouraging.

I suppose.  I can think a few times it finally delivered after I gave up.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Strange progression on the 0Z ECMWF, it's dramatically different and better than the 12Z so that's a plus; still probably looking at a ridge that will eventually amplify too close to the coast for much fun; probably better that it hold off a bit longer before ampifying. The GFS has been a bit more consistent at day 10 so far so I'd give that outcome a bit more weight at the moment.