March 2015 Observations and Discussion

Tom

00z GFS showing more snow in KS this run...more widespread for the weekend system...what do you think, should we start a Thread for this system???  It seems more and more likely there will be a system that develops somewhere in the central CONUS.  That way we can keep things "clean" in the general discussions.

The storm showing up on the 3rd/4th is correlating pretty well with the system hitting Japan on the 26th.  Looks like a pretty potent system, however, doesn't look like it is hat organized yet on the runs we have seen so far.  However, it looks to get darn cold once the storm departs.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/00/gfs_asia_066_1000_500_thick.gif

3 Storm systems are to hit Japan over the next 7-10 days which would open this month up with the potential of seeing 3-4 storms (including this weekends system) through March 10th-12th.

Looked pretty boring on the GFS Ensembles after this first storm to open up March (and even this one is coming into question).

Thought I'd post the Euro Weeklies NAO/EPO/PNA forecast over the next 30 days.  SE Ridge should continue throughout the month along with ridging off the west coast with a pretty consistent -EPO.  Although, it does pull back for a period of 7-10 days around the 7th-14th.  JB has been mentioning that in Winter's like the one we are experiencing now, late season blocking develops near Greenland.  The Euro Ensembles are showing the NAO head back towards neutral sometime mid month.  Will be interesting how this affects the weather pattern as we move forward.

00z Euro threw a curve ball this run and stalls the frontal boundary and leaves behind a secondary piece of energy in the southern Midwest.  This is turn develops into a SLP that rides up the boundary towards S IL/IN and dumps more snowfall.  Tons of moisture showing up.

The interaction between the northern and southern streams will flop around on the models all week.  Speeding up one piece of energy and slowing down another can change a lot.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I don't think I have ever seen the EURO as active-- lost count at 4-5 storms. As mentioned-- it will likely go back and forth -- but WOW-- what potential!!!

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Yeah, the 00z Euro is south and weak with the first system this weekend, but it parks the sharp baroclinic zone just to our southeast for days.  I'd love to see a 240 hr precip total map just for giggles.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

I don't think I have ever seen the EURO as active-- lost count at 4-5 storms. As mentioned-- it will likely go back and forth -- but WOW-- what potential!!!

Hey Grizz---long time.  Anyways, if things work out we could come close to being in the top ten snowiest March months within the first week!  Crazy.  16" will get us in the top ten.  And yes, I am being greedy

1-4" from lake effect snows? Possible, but 4" is unlikely. 4-8" seems pretty bullish for the weekend system.

For the weekend storm anything is still possible being that it is 120hr+ out. Yesterday everyone thought it was going north. Now it is going south. Still think there is a lot of moisture to work with.

The models are hanging more of the western energy out west with each run.  The 12z GFS now has a nice-looking upper low over the sw conus that could be a major player next week.

• Like 1