PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

2 hours ago, MossMan said:

I am currently grading this winter an A-

The massive amount of rainfall in November, the big westerly windstorm in mid November, the near summer like day at the beginning of December followed by chilly weather leading up to Christmas. A white Christmas Eve and Christmas, over a foot of snow between Christmas and New Years, a low of 3 degrees, over 7 straight days below freezing, and I currently have more snow on the ground right now than I have had on January 6th dating back to 2013 in my picture folder. 
Though I did have slight accumulation on my roof in 2019! 🤣

Now all we need is one or two more fantastic snow/cold events late month thru the first part of March and the grade goes up to an A+! 

Oh and I see they cleared the measuring sticks at Sharis! 

27FB57B4-A6DF-4254-BB85-946325E6A8B8.jpeg

CC46D556-BEBE-477C-A4B1-8161B6926CD3.jpeg

If you look now he shoveled the roof too

20 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Lots of schools closed in  Grays Harbor tomorrow, only a few with no announcement, yet.  It is horrible, we have a pond in our backyard which has never happened before.

@GHweatherChris how is Aberdeen looking? Aberdeen always has flooding issues 

My friend who lives in Cle Elem posted some videos to Instagram which don’t even look real. Her 16 year old was out trying to shovel the driveway and the snow was literally up to his neck.

• Like 5
  • scream 2

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

2 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

My friend who lives in Cle Elem posted some videos to Instagram which don’t even look real. Her 16 year old was out trying to shovel the driveway and the snow was literally up to his neck.

My 85 year old g-ma lives in  Teanaway by herself….. I hope she paying for a plowing service since I can’t get over there 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

@GHweatherChris how is Aberdeen looking? Aberdeen always has flooding issues 

Not looking good at all,  residential areas away from the river are being inundated from the heavy rain and runoff, places closer to the river are gonna get it bad tonight

• Sad 3
  • scream 2

They definitely happened in the past, but the intensity and frequency of all these AR's reeks of climate change... 

[https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2015JD023586]

Much of the focus of recent research has been on the response of precipitation in warming projections. Few studies have focused on the explicit response of ARs, as intense moisture transport events, to warming. Dettinger [2011] was the first to investigate this topic using an ensemble of projections from seven global climate models used in the fourth Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change assessment report. Comparing historical simulations to end of the century warming projections, he found an increase in moisture transport and an increase in the number of years with many ARs. Investigation was furthered by use of data from CMIP5 in Warner et al. [2015]. They identified ARs using the 99th percentile of moisture transport along a transect just off the coast of North America in 30 years of historical simulations and RCP 8.5 projections from 10 different models. Similar to the findings in Dettinger[2011], Warner et al. [2015] found a robust increase in moisture transport within ARs, but little change in lower level winds. While focused on the eastern North Atlantic, Lavers et al.[2013] found similar increases in AR intensity as Dettinger [2011] and Warner et al. [2015] using an ensemble of five models participating in CMIP5 and a different method to identify ARs.

6 minutes ago, joelgombiner said:

All passes closed until Sunday now. I can't remember a 4-day closure like this ever before. 

December 1996 had a couple day closure but not 4 days! Wow! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

December 1996 had a couple day closure but not 4 days! Wow! 

Wow, good memory. I was 8 in December 1996. Remember every detail of that storm like it was yesterday. Had my trusty NOAA Weather Radio with the bar that you push to turn it on and the little antenna. 

• Like 1

Raining quite hard here. Pretty steady around ~.12" per hour, 1.3" since 9pm yesterday

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

5 minutes ago, joelgombiner said:

All passes closed until Sunday now. I can't remember a 4-day closure like this ever before. 

That’s absolutely insane. I’ve never heard of a four day closure like that before.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

oh great... water is coming up from 3 places in the ground and one of those places is the garage. Does anybody here know what to do? Where do i get a water pump? do I try to dig a hole and make it where the water is coming out of the soil deeper? Thanks

• scream 1

1 minute ago, RayRay said:

oh great... water is coming up from 3 places in the ground and one of those places is the garage. Does anybody here know what to do? Where do i get a water pump? do I try to dig a hole and make it where the water is coming out of the soil deeper? Thanks

Aquarium stores will have submersible pumps for sure. Hardware stores should have water pumps as well. I would take everything off the garage floor for now. You may be able to sweep a lot of water out with a big broom depending on the layout. If the water can come up through the floor, it will drain out as well when the rain stops and the water table drops. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Not sure of the dates... but we had terrible flooding in the Snoqualmie Valley in early January 2009.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, Brennan said:

Imagine if this low came in near the Columbia…

We would have looked like Leavenworth. 

• Excited 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

9 minutes ago, RayRay said:

I recommend having a sump pump installed

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

We have had 3-4 inches of rain out here today and yet the Snoqualmie River is not projected to get anywhere close to flood stage.    I am not sure why... but guessing its because all the precip in the mountains came down as snow and not rain.   Normally this much rain in one day would cause some significant flooding issues in North Bend and Snoqualmie.

squw1_hg (1).png

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

We have had 3-4 inches of rain out here today and yet the Snoqualmie River is not projected to get anywhere close to flood stage.    I am not sure why... but guessing it because all the precip in the mountains came down as snow and not rain.   Normally this much rain in one day would cause some significant flooding issues in North Bend and Snoqualmie.

squw1_hg (1).png

More of an urban and small stream flood event I think? Also coastal and rivers to the south? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

If I was going to move to Whatcom County that would probably be my top choice.  Sometimes Sumas just gets so consumed with dry air they don't get much snow.  Lynden seems to have a good mix of holding onto cold air, but still get moisture in most cases.

Or just jump up to Hope, it's still 16F and snowing there. It's typically the longest coastal hold out when it comes to sustaining Arctic air and gets huge amounts of snow for the elevation. Pretty incredible gradient in the Fraser Valley now.

• Like 2