PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

4 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

We've dropped from 46 to 37 since 6am. Looks like the local weather station gusted to 52mph this morning around 4am.

Wow, definitely not getting those winds here, although I think my anemometer is in a bad spot. The highest it registered was 10mph but there had to have been gusts to 30 or so last night. The trees were moving pretty good.

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

6 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

We've dropped from 46 to 37 since 6am. Looks like the local weather station gusted to 52mph this morning around 4am.

-2 925mb temps and -7 850mb temps have reached the NW Washington coast as of 10 AM. Definitely a chilly maritime airmass moving in.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

My brother is STILL stuck in eastern WA. He’s actually stuck at white pass ski resort right now…has been for the last 2 nights…and likely will be for the next 2 nights. He tried to drive from curlew WA through white pass to get home while the major snowstorm was hitting Eastern WA. Made it to white pass but it had closed by that time. He says there’s quite a few other people stuck including ski resort and DOT employees. Dozens of trees have blown over highway 12…quite a few semis and cars went off the road….parts of the highway have been washed out. 

• Snow 1
  • scream 6

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

1 minute ago, TacomaWaWx said:

My brother is STILL stuck in eastern WA. He’s actually stuck at white pass ski resort right now…has been for the last 2 nights…and likely will be for the next 2 nights. He tried to drive from curlew WA through white pass to get home while the major snowstorm was hitting Eastern WA. Made it to white pass but it had closed by that time. He says there’s quite a few other people stuck including ski resort and DOT employees. Dozens of trees have blown over highway 12…quite a few semis and cars went off the road….parts of the highway have been washed out. 

Yikes. What a crappy situation left and right for you and him.

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Just now, jakerepp said:

Yikes. What a crappy situation left and right for you and him.

Yeah he’s been stuck east of the mountains since December 30th. I would likely still be in eastern WA too had I not flew home. Probably one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life lol. My brothers fine though there’s a store up there he can charge his phone and get food there still…but yeah he could be up there for several more days. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

2 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

Not sure how technically inclined you are, but if you spin up a weewx server and start feeding your station data to that it will automatically create what it calls "NOAA Reports". Looks similar to Jim's spreadsheet but no need to manually input it. You can check it out on my station website here.

If you decide to go that route and need any help getting things dialed in, feel free to send me a PM. It can be a bit of a pain to get going but once you have it setup it's solid.

You had like an 8 hour downtime last night! 

Very cool.  I'm waiting until we move into a house before I foray into weather stations but I will definitely do something like this - gotta love open source!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Kind of wish I was stuck over there. At least in Leavenworth. 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just now, MossMan said:

Kind of wish I was stuck over there. At least in Leavenworth. 

My brother is a weather enthusiast like me so he’s actually been having fun experiencing the crazy weather up there. He’s been able to help a few people up there too apparently. 

• Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Looks like Leavenworth is starting to dig out, and I have been watching the person across the street on the Shari’s cam getting snow off that overhang. Oh how I wish I was in one of those areas. 

BB0A25C7-87E7-45B8-AB9E-C8E4ACFEC033.jpeg

74A293AD-48D4-46A7-94FC-0984EAA5273F.jpeg

• Like 4

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

29 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I have thought about asking this question myself, I am always amazed to see people pulling up all of these stats and data from the past and wonder how they catalogue it.

I have set up a spreadsheet that I dump data in from one of the weather service warehouses.  It takes some fiddling about with the data, but I have the data for KBLI going back to when it started in 1949 or 1950.  I am really strong with formulas/formula logic to pull together data, but I have always struggled with presentation of data.  Reading through the comments, I see @Tyler Mode says he has a pretty good set up, I would be curious to see what it looks like if willing to share....

As for @hawkstwelve set up, that is really slick, and I have talked back and forth with him to try to replicate what he has, but I keep running into roadblocks and "life" prevents me from getting it finished.  I have a Rasbperry Pi set up, and it pulls the data in, but I had trouble getting it to a database then back out to a website.  I need to get back to that and try to get it across the finish line.  Unfortunately, its been so long, I almost need to start over, as I doubt I will be able to remember where I stopped.. I think I was having problems with getting the correct port settings for the data to move.

With it being an R-Pi, I'll probably set up another memory card and pop it in, start over, and log each step I do in a notebook.  That what I'll have my previous effort captured on another card just in case....

Here are some screenshots of my file using weather service data.  There are still some data calculations I need to get working.  I did this a few years ago, Microsoft has incorporated some very powerful formula commands over the past year or so, I need to go through these and try to incorporate those formulas plus skills/tactics I have learned since I first did this.  Kind of like the R-Pi project, I keep getting derailed by "adulting"

2022-01-07 (1).png

2022-01-07 (2).png

2022-01-07 (3).png

2022-01-07.png

That's an awesome project! I don't think I have a Raspberry-Pi (I have an arduino somewhere), nor probably the expertise and knowledge to start a project like that. I'm currently just looking into different API functions that other people have made to track my PWS data and put it on a website. I would love to ahve a more personal solution like that though.

Keep me updated on your project, I would love to see where that goes!

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

Gotta say I can’t remember a time when I-5 and all the mountain passes were closed. This winter has been incredibly active with tons of rain and a really significant cold and snow streak. Things finally calm down next week it appears but I think we will see more significant rain storms and probably some more snow by the time late January/early February comes around. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

2 minutes ago, gusky said:

That's an awesome project! I don't think I have a Raspberry-Pi (I have an arduino somewhere), nor probably the expertise and knowledge to start a project like that. I'm currently just looking into different API functions that other people have made to track my PWS data and put it on a website. I would love to ahve a more personal solution like that though.

Keep me updated on your project, I would love to see where that goes!

Will do, with my upcoming job change I am hoping to have a little more time and energy to dive back into these projects.

The Raspberry Pi is a neat little piece of kit, I have 4 of them running right now.  One for my 3D Printer, one for my ADSB receiver, one for weather, and one for HAM Radio.  I have another one I need to set up that will attach to a small touchscreen and will show live space weather conditions for HAM Radio.

On the ADSB one, I need to figure out how to log contacts.  There is a way for people/government agencies to block their aircraft track from showing up on the websites (flightradar24, flightaware, etc), but they still have to be transmitting an ADSB signal so they show up on the FAA/Nav Canada radars.  I'm hoping that since I am getting the raw data before it goes through that filter, I can identify some of those aircraft.  Being close to the border, there are quite a few "interesting" aircraft that fly overhead, and when I pull up a tracking site there is nothing... 🤔  Call it little brother turning the tables and spying on big brother 😄

• Like 2

Looks like western Oregon already has an above average temp month in the bag for January. Only question is how warm?

• Sun 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

This is five torches in a row.... 

• Sun 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Will do, with my upcoming job change I am hoping to have a little more time and energy to dive back into these projects.

The Raspberry Pi is a neat little piece of kit, I have 4 of them running right now.  One for my 3D Printer, one for my ADSB receiver, one for weather, and one for HAM Radio.  I have another one I need to set up that will attach to a small touchscreen and will show live space weather conditions for HAM Radio.

On the ADSB one, I need to figure out how to log contacts.  There is a way for people/government agencies to block their aircraft track from showing up on the websites (flightradar24, flightaware, etc), but they still have to be transmitting an ADSB signal so they show up on the FAA/Nav Canada radars.  I'm hoping that since I am getting the raw data before it goes through that filter, I can identify some of those aircraft.  Being close to the border, there are quite a few "interesting" aircraft that fly overhead, and when I pull up a tracking site there is nothing... 🤔  Call it little brother turning the tables and spying on big brother 😄

Wow, that's super cool. Making me wanna get a R-Pi and start a project with my station😏

• Like 1

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

On a somewhat related note, for those of you with your PWS uploading to wunderground, did you have any problems doing it? Ambient won't let me link mineimage.thumb.png.8830863afdd8b6ebd1a2b54bf9bdf042.png

My Twitter

5 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Go through Canada 

Are the passes up there repaired and open again from the November flooding madness? 

Just now, MossMan said:

Are the passes up there repaired and open again from the November flooding madness? 

Hwy 3 is open to recreational traffic.

Hwy 5 is open to commercial traffic only. With a bunch of temporary fixes to bridges and washed out sections.  Some places are only 1 lane each way. 

hwy 1 is still closed 

• Like 1

Crazy that I-5 is closed! 43° here with light rain. Looks like pretty heavy returns over Redmond now. Just saw the flooding in downtown Issaquah on the news.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

2 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

The Leavenworth National fish hatchery reported that in a 36 hour time period, 56 inches of snow fell.  I work not far from there, and I honestly don't believe it. I think they probably meant 56 inches on the ground.  The winter sports club, which is nearby, reported 38 inches.  That I do believe.  Snow has stopped here.  

The city of Leavenworth has asked the National Gaurd to come in and help with snow removal.  

Not sure how they are getting here unless deployed from Spokane.  

Lots of residents here concerned about roofs.  Based on what someone knowledgeable said on Facebook, modern houses should be able to handle 4 feet of moderately wet snow.  We have 4 feet, but good news is that most of the snow is light and fluffy, so my house should be ok, but I really don't want anymore until we have had some melting.

Many streets are narrow, one car only streets.  There literally is no place to put the snow. It is high enough where my snowblower can't throw it over the top.  Our Safeway ran out of gas because the supply comes from Seattle.  Their groceries are running short too.  We have enough gas and food for awhile so no worries.  Also, will be hard for mail to get here.  I will really have to dig a lot this weekend so it can be delivered Monday.  They are not even trying now.

So here are a few pics.  First one is my house on Dec. 18th.  Notice the light pole in the yard.  Second is the same pole this morning.  Third is our house this morning.

IMG-20220107-WA0011.thumb.jpg.293948f68d1644d3579846b03fda7696.jpg

20220107_104103.thumb.jpg.a767cc37e137fa2a81446fe600d1fa7c.jpg

20220107_094436.thumb.jpg.e07ff4947e7e0b19427247fe1c1ac009.jpg

This is insane - surprised it's not more of a national story (and being hyped up on weather.com). Really hope everyone over there is OK.

My Twitter

12 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

If we can avoid going into a Nino this year I think this could be an epic year for the snowpack / glacier health.  The key will be keeping summer cool for once.

Might be a challenge to avoid a niño now. RMMs looping the WPAC is a classic pre-niño phenomenon.

At the very least we’ll probably lose the La Niña background state completely. But there is a fairly good chance for a moderate or strong (single year) niño followed by another multiyear niña.

• Sad 1
  • Sick 1

Don’t think winter is done with us though I think we will see round two of at least more active weather with mountain and foothill snow starting up sometime late in the month might get cold again too although late December will be hard to beat up north 

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Might be a challenge to avoid a niño now. RMMs looping the WPAC is a classic pre-niño phenomenon.

At the very least we’ll probably lose the La Niña background state completely. But there is a fairly good chance for a moderate or strong (single year) niño followed by another multiyear niña.

Well we had our worst heatwave and one of the hottest summers on record during a multi year Niña in 2021 so I guess all bets are off 

• scream 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

https://t.co/w6lkNHwoUN

Is 36" in 24hrs a new record for leavenworth? I remember someone mentioned this before but forgot what the record was

My Twitter

8 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

The Leavenworth National fish hatchery reported that in a 36 hour time period, 56 inches of snow fell.  I work not far from there, and I honestly don't believe it. I think they probably meant 56 inches on the ground.  The winter sports club, which is nearby, reported 38 inches.  That I do believe.  Snow has stopped here.  

The city of Leavenworth has asked the National Gaurd to come in and help with snow removal.  

Lots of residents here concerned about roofs.  Based on what someone knowledgeable said on Facebook, modern houses should be able to handle 4 feet of moderately wet snow.  We have 4 feet, but good news is that most of the snow is light and fluffy, so my house should be ok, but I really don't want anymore until we have had some melting.

Many streets are narrow, one car only streets.  There literally is no place to put the snow. It is high enough where my snowblower can't throw it over the top.  Our Safeway ran out of gas because the supply comes from Seattle.  Their groceries are running short too.  We have enough gas and food for awhile so no worries.  Also, will be hard for mail to get here.  I will really have to dig a lot this weekend so it can be delivered Monday.  They are not even trying now.

So here are a few pics.  First one is my house on Dec. 18th.  Notice the light pole in the yard.  Second is the same pole this morning.  Third is our house this morning.

That is absolutely mind blowing. Looks like a gingerbread house with large marshmallows all around it.

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

9 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Incredible! 

11 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Earlier in the week when snowmizer took off last minute.  That same night I told my wife we should just take the kids out of school the rest of the week and head to Leavenworth to experience it.  She put the kibosh on that idea😂.  Probably for the best with three little ones.  

• Like 1
  • lol 1

Just now, gusky said:

https://t.co/w6lkNHwoUN

Is 36" in 24hrs a new record for leavenworth? I remember someone mentioned this before but forgot what the record was

I think it was 28''

• Like 1

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

4 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Well we had our worst heatwave and one of the hottest summers on record during a multi year Niña in 2021 so I guess all bets are off 

If we could’ve kept the La Niña it would almost certainly be a cool summer since QBO/tropical strat is favorable to keep in the 4CH/pseudo +TNH at bay (unlike 2021).

But now another warm to hot summer (or at least late summer/autumn) is *statistically* favored. But not a given, obviously.

• lol 1
  • Sick 1

5 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Don’t think winter is done with us though I think we will see round two of at least more active weather with mountain and foothill snow starting up sometime late in the month might get cold again too although late December will be hard to beat up north 

Andrew and Phil say no so yes we should be in great shape in a few weeks! 

• Popcorn 1