July 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

Made it up to 76F here yesterday. Sitting at about 70F now, not going to match yesterday's high from the looks of it. The readings at the airport were pretty unusual yesterday, looks like an ~8pm high there.

Wind switched westerly late in the day up this way. Pretty common to see a spike in temps when that first happens. The SE sea breeze reverses to more of a westerly offshore downslope type wind, at least until the cooler air arrives from the west coast, which takes a few hours typically.

Yikes. Polar cap heights are tanked.

Can you say +AO?

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/CAE793BB-920F-4EA6-A09C-EACF617B5762_zpsibmphtcb.png

Gorgeous day. Does the fact that I could take a whole summer of this mean that I hate America/Jesus?

I would tend to agree with you based on the weather you had down there... sun before noon and a high of 77.

We had the stratus layer get stuck right over King County all day while it evaporated across the entire region... so I would not want an entire summer of today based on the weather here.   That would be sad.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I would tend to agree with you based on the weather you had down there... sun before noon and a high of 77.

We had the stratus layer get stuck right over King County all day while it evaporated across the entire region... so I would not want an entire summer of today based on the weather here. That would be sad.

Jesus would be crying for sure.

Wasn't a trough over the intermountain west part of a couple July forecasts? Looks like the complete opposite the next 7-10 days. Huge ridge over that region. Luckily we stay mostly on the periphery.

Could be a hot trip to Montana July 15-22 if this pattern keeps up.

12z ECMWF does indeed put us in the cooker later this week. Second half of this month looks a lot better on the weeklies though so fingers crossed!

Where in MT you headed??

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

It's been strange to see the GFS leading the Euro lately.

And now the 00Z GFS comes in quite a bit warmer through the weekend.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Hit 69 here. Stratus did finally break up after 6pm here.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

My uncle has a house and some farmland in Whitetail. I could probably get you a good deal if you're interested.

That's nice of you. It will probably be several more years before we are looking. I will keep it in mind, though.

That's nice of you. It will probably be several more years before we are looking. I will keep it in mind, though.

I don't think whitetail is the part of Montana that you are looking to move to. But, If it is I could give you his number when the time comes.

• Like 1

After a record wet spring much of southern BC has dried significantly after a very dry June. Fire danger ratings have increased high to extreme in many areas.

I assume that is true in most years by July and August.

I assume that is true in most years by July and August.

It was an usually dry June in the interior, statistically the wettest month of the year some places.

Kamloops for example had 0.13" in June. It is normally their wettest month with an average close to 1.5".

Washington was rated to have the best summers in the country in this very scientific article:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/us-states-worst-summers

Followed by Minnesota at 2nd place.

No wonder Tim expects the pattern to pamper him 24/7.

• Like 1

Washington was rated to have the best summers in the country in this very scientific article:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/us-states-worst-summers

Washington is so varied in climate.  Look at the high temp for tomorrow... most of WA is scorching hot.  

ecmwf_t2max_washington_9.png

I can understand saying maybe Seattle has some of the best summer weather in the country... but WA is too vague.

And Phil... they considered much more than weather here.   MN scored high because of the lakes.  

Decided not to head east?

Not heading east... every time we have planned something over there since May it has turned out to be perfect here.     :)