Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

April 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

TT-SEA

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:51 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46766 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

Wait, 2017 and 2018 were benign fire seasons?

2017 had some of the most impact in terms of urban areas in the NW with the amount of smoke. 2018 was horrible in Central Oregon where there were significant agricultural impacts and in Southern Oregon where the Chetco region burned for the second year in a row. Not to mention some of the worst smoke impact in urban locations in a long while. This isn't even taking into count Northern California's horrific seasons.

It was sarcasm.

My point was they never say it will be a quiet fire season. Even in years that did end up benign. The forecast is always doom and gloom... too much rain leads to fires and too little rain leads to fires. Its all bad all the time.

TT-SEA

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:07 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 46766 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA
And also the minor fact that wildfires have raged for millions of years. Long before we arrived and will continue long after we are gone. Fire is as natural as rain and earthquakes and volcanoes. Might suck... but it clearly serves a natural purpose.

jcmcgaffey

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:18 PM

jcmcgaffey

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • LocationNorth Seattle (Ballard/Greenwood)

It was sarcasm.

My point was they never say it will be a quiet fire season. Even in years that did end up benign. The forecast is always doom and gloom... too much rain leads to fires and too little rain leads to fires. Its all bad all the time.

I definitely agree with that. As I read the article it came across as general scare information with no real in depth info.

Phil

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:02 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 26703 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.

Yeah... except that I don't complain about rain. The only time I might complain at all is when it strays too far from climo either way. That is a fact. And even that is pointless.

πŸ€£πŸ€―πŸ˜³πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ§πŸ€¨πŸ€ͺ😳😀πŸ₯ΊπŸ€”
  • hawkstwelve, Jbolin and K%% like this

Personal Weather Station Live Stream.
NOAA: https://www.wrh.noaa...168&banner=NONE
Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...019-08-23/daily