December 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Yep... its destined for Medford it seems.

A lot of times these lows tend to come in a bit further north than modeled...well I'm just grasping at straws at this point. Marginal precip and marginal cold is not usually a good recipe for snow in PDX. Hopefully we get a decent transition event at the end of this.

I just stumbled across this. I thought you guys(and gals?) would like this. I'd think this could play a major role in dislodging the PV and shoving a huge chunk of bitter air southward into Yukon, NWT. What say you? Is there any SSW going on at 10mb? or....

http://i.imgur.com/4PlNZIQ.jpg

• Like 1

I just stumbled across this. I thought you guys(and gals?) would like this. I'd think this could play a major role in dislodging the PV and shoving a huge chunk of bitter air southward into Yukon, NWT. What say you? Is there any SSW going on at 10mb? or....

Phil??

Dang.....sure glad I am stock piling pellets for my pellet stoves. Also just invested in one of those nifty Kohler automatic generator deals that kick on when the power goes out.....

Sure does look like snow clouds currently looking out my window at work...too bad it won't amount to anything.

And holy crap, what a graphic from DJ!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Lows in the 80's in SE Portland???

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

So there's a cut off low on last two euro runs... Is it going to be completely dry? Also it forma over CA and tracks NNE or north. Seems very unusual to me, usually those things break off from a trough first.

12Z ECMWF is totally dry with that cut-off.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Temps falling through the 38's here.

Too much low cloudiness... need it to lift a little so it can freeze up here. Still 32.5 after a high of 34. The snow cover has compacted from 10 inches down to 7 or 8. Need to lock it down!

Wonderfully low dewpoints coming... always have that mush day waiting for it come.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Too much low cloudiness... need it to lift a little so it can freeze up here. Still 32.5 after a high of 34. The snow cover has compacted from 10 inches down to 7 or 8. Need to lock it down!

Wonderfully low dewpoints coming... always have that mush day waiting for it come.

I'm praying hard for your snow consistency!

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Amazingly the ECMWF weeklies show below normal 850mb temps over the NW for days 18 through 32.  Looks like we have a decent shot at a reasonably cool January.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Amazingly the ECMWF weeklies show below normal 850mb temps over the NW for days 18 through 32.  Looks like we have a decent shot at a reasonably cool January.

How did you think you would have kept any snow you got yesterday through today?  

Even if you got 3 inches... it would be gone now.     Don't feel bad about not having snow yesterday because you had no chance going into the inversion.

Not a fan of this type of day after snowfall but its most common. 

No SSW yet, but there's a notable wave-1 push ongoing w/ a second round likely in mid-Jan. Eventually, the PV should get taken out later in the month.

Amazingly the ECMWF weeklies show below normal 850mb temps over the NW for days 18 through 32. Looks like we have a decent shot at a reasonably cool January.

Looks like most of the cold is focused over the East/Southeastern U.S. They look fairly Niñoish w/ a good -NAM signal.

Looks like most of the cold is focused over the East/Southeastern U.S. They look fairly Niñoish w/ a good -NAM signal.

I agree it certainly looks like minus AO.  I was just talking about what the 850mb anomalies are shown to be over the NW.  Not bad at all with this kind of a Nino.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

BTW...I don't buy for a minute it's going above freezing on the North Pole anytime soon.  :lol:

I suppose the mid levels could go that high, but no way at the surface.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Even though we all know I love the warm weather for outdoor activities, the longer it can stay cooler the better so the snow pack lasts longer into the year.

Why would you like warm weather in the winter?  Yuck!

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just got back from a very snowy hike in the Multnomah Creek Basin to Nesika Lodge. Beautful area up there with 6-8" on the ground at the 2,000' level. Slushy snow started at the Multnomah Falls trailhead and only got deeper from there.

MOS guidance has PDX hitting freezing tonight, but I'm not sure I'm buying it with all the lingering clouds.

• Like 2

Just got back from a very snowy hike in the Multnomah Creek Basin to Nesika Lodge. Beautful area up there with 6-8" on the ground at the 2,000' level. Slushy snow started at the Multnomah Falls trailhead and only got deeper from there.

MOS guidance has PDX hitting freezing tonight, but I'm not sure I'm buying it with all the lingering clouds.

We definitely need to get this damp air scoured out.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Even if you got 3 inches... it would be gone now.     Don't feel bad about not having snow yesterday because you had no chance going into the inversion.

2" here yesterday and it held up just fine with 38F and cloud cover this afternoon. 

2" here yesterday and it held up just fine with 38F and cloud cover this afternoon. 

Not sure how.   There was 2 inches down in North Bend this morning but after a high of 37 with a dewpoint of 37...  there was not even a trace of it left this afternoon.

Not sure how.   There was 2 inches down in North Bend this morning but after a high of 37 with a dewpoint of 37...  there was not even a trace of it left this afternoon.

I guess it was just some pretty dense stuff.  Even the asphalt driveways still had about 1.5" left this afternoon.  Unfortunately the trees were all cleared off with the drizzle yesterday evening and last night. 

It does make me feel slightly better.  I thought the cold / dry air would take hold a little more quickly.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The WRF is a notch colder with 925mb temps tonight and tomorrow as opposed to the 12z.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Appears I have made it down to freezing...

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Not that anyone noticed, or cared, but we are now over 100k posts and today we hit the most users logged in since the site transition.

129 pages this month leading up to lots of lowland rain/snow mix and 1,000 foot snow levels!