April 2016 Observation and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

Someday your warm reign of terror will come to an end.

That was more of a poke at all of us who get too excited for prospects of cold/snow and then get burned.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

To be expected with a warming climate. Already been hashed, re-hashed, and re-re-hashed.

Exactly... a warming climate.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just noticed it's only 63 at BLI, though they did momentarily hit a high of 71.

I saw there some stratus offshore there...must have been a sea breeze.

My mom texted me to say it was 76 at their house.  

Tell her to put her thermometer in the shade. Politely, since it's your mom.

They are more inland and it's always in the shade. In fact it seems to run cool most of the time.

I mistook you for another poster. You were right Wednesday and I was wrong. Today it seems like we will both be right because PDX hit 85 and you called for 80-85 and I called for 85-90. Tomorrow you will be wrong however because you called for 70s and I called for 80s if it reaches 80+, which you said wouldn't happen. So in the end it all evens out.

http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KPDX.html

Except tomorrow hasn't happened yet. Back to back 80+ is a pretty tough feat for this early. Especially considering we lose the offshore flow component tomorrow.

Good point that I was also right, predicting 80-85. There goes Matt's argument. B)

No way.

Ice burn!

Nice day!

I never made a forecast for Kelso. I have no clue what goes on there. I won't rule out the chance that their mid-afternoon heating *may* have been helped along by an exploding meth lab nearby, though.

I never made a forecast for Kelso. I have no clue what goes on there. I won't rule out the chance that their mid-afternoon heating *may* have been helped along by an exploding meth lab nearby, though.

85-90 for the area was the way to go. As it stands, PDX was mitigated a bit by a little stronger than anticipated offshore flow. Models a couple days ago were more in line with a perfect storm of gradients dying in the afternoon.

The stronger gradients help Kelso in particular, characterized by the light southerlies they occasionally pick up on days like this.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

85-90 for the area was the way to go. As it stands, PDX was mitigated a bit by a little stronger than anticipated offshore flow. Models a couple days ago were more in line with a perfect storm of gradients dying in the afternoon.

The stronger gradients help Kelso in particular, characterized by the light southerlies they occasionally pick up on days like this.

Yup, Kelso was definitely in a sweet spot.

Super historic reading.

Lets go with a favorable blend of 1878, 1889, 1906, 1926, 1931, 1936, 1942, 1958, 1995, 1998.   :)

All of these years were coming off a strong Nino and transitioning to cold neutral or Nina.     That is the majority of such years.

And all of them had spectacular summers here.

1889, 1926, 1931, and 1958 were off-the-charts warm and sunny.

81 / 35 in Klamath Falls today. It actually was quite breezy the whole afternoon. It was especially nice over by Lake Ewauna with estimated 15-20 mph winds. It felt like 72-74 outside during the peak because of that.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Easily the earliest ever +20c 850mb sounding for SLE this morning.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, looks like the previous earliest +20c was early May.

12920361_949628805144762_9219863673991469842_n.jpg

Also pretty interesting that the average 850mb temp is no higher in early April than in January.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Topped out at 82 here.  Pretty impressive for this early.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

"Nice" and warmer than average don't always go hand in hand. You and I both seem to agree September 1983 was pretty nice. That month was 2-3 degrees below average down here.

Sept 1983 had the coldest low temps I've ever witnessed in that month.  It dropped to 31 with heavy frost on one day.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Someday your warm reign of terror will come to an end.

No question whatsoever the coming few years will be much cooler than the last 2.  Really easy call.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Also pretty interesting that the average 850mb temp is no higher in early April than in January.

Goes to show how utterly lame January has been the past 30 years or so.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9