Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I think it may go below 40 here tonight. Much faster temp drop than I expected and I was expecting it to be pretty good.

Currently 54 degrees here and breezy.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Currently 54 degrees here and breezy.

Yeah... some high and mid level clouds formed overnight.   SEA did not even get down to the normal low.

Side note... SEA is now exactly at normal for September.  

Still running way being Bellingham though which is almost +1.0.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yea. Chicago's climate isn't that brutally cold really. Obviously they will see their fair share of cold days though.  Similar to the BC Okanagan Valley. 

Most winters it isn't, but there's periods where it is pretty brutal.

Went down to 47° this morning. Still cloudy here in central King County.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

It's pretty striking how different the low level air masses are between SEA and PDX tonight. SEA is much cooler/ drier. That cold front must have stalled just south of here. Today was amazing up this way with brisk north winds and fairly low dps.

Ironically, PDX ended up three degrees cooler than SEA this morning.

12Z GFS ensembles look below average for the entire run for PDX.

I am sure they look warmer for SEA, but then again that was the general theme this entire month, and PDX is -1.5 while SEA is just around average. So maybe they aren't that far off.

Canadian was pretty chilly too. BC turns much colder late in the run as well. Strong SE ridge.
  • Like 1

New ECMWF weeklies are strange looking. Basically revert to something resembling a Niño for most of the run. Color me skeptical.

New ECMWF weeklies are strange looking. Basically revert to something resembling a Niño for most of the run. Color me skeptical.

Haven't they been doing that for months now?

I remember the much celebrated runs that showed a warm, ridgy September for the PNW. That didn't work out too well...

Haven't they been doing that for months now?

They've been warm biased in the PNW out the wazoo since June, yeah, but I'm referring to the general orientation of the pattern and tropical convection on this run. Sort of like 2014/15 I think. Looks like BS to me.

Shawnigan Lake is normal for the month. 1.6F warmer than last year.

Victoria is roughly +0.8F for September. 2.2F warmer than last September.

How strange.

Then you have this for the majority of the region state side. Cooler overall than last September.

image.png

Lol @ Astoria. Just one below average day all month? Very different "pattern" this time, as well. Running a healthy +2.3 for the month as a whole. #BS

Lol @ Astoria. Just one below average day all month? Very different "pattern" this time, as well. Running a healthy +2.3 for the month as a whole. #BS

Every month that goes by with them as a big outlier, the odds go up that something's not right.

It's been 3 straight months, I'd say at least 50% chance now the sensor is out of whack.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

There's a reason we aren't seeing day ten frames with trollsmileys right now!

Next it'll be "we're blowing our load too early", or something along those lines.

Easily cooler than 0z, in fact.

Good storm in the middle of next week as well.

The system Sunday still goes way south but then the jet lifts a little more north.    Still a ripe environment for a windstorm as I mentioned earlier this week.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Every month that goes by with them as a big outlier, the odds go up that something's not right.

It's been 3 straight months, I'd say at least 50% chance now the sensor is out of whack.

Yeah, the ratio between AST's temperatures and the 925mb temperatures changed abruptly this summer (regardless of the pattern). That's usually a clue that something is wrong.

Here September 2015 was pretty much normal (only -0.1 from normal Mean). Despite some days in the 50's we managed many way above average highs in the 90's and 80's last year, evened things out. This month is quite a bit cooler, no late summer "heatwaves" in the last month. If the next 3 highs pan out we're looking at -1.7 for this months Mean.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I expect to see several big model images the next time the Euro shows a split flow pattern with a trough in a holding pattern 200 miles off the CA coast.

That is a nice pattern!   

Key to this 12z ECMWF run is the W/SW displacement of the NPAC vortex. Constructively interfereres with the -EPO, which keeps western troughing in place.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/6E93E489-BAAA-4B60-9922-9CB85788BFD3_zpswc1ooscu.gif

• Like 1

Also, ECMWF depicts a cat-5 monster sitting off the SE coast, with ridging building in from the west. Delicate situation.

It's amazing to me how many people are including El Niño and/or -QBO years in their analog packages, solely based off the "blob" in the NPAC. Is there an entire world of literature and/or quantitatively-derived research that I'm foolishly unaware of? What am I missing?