December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Can someone please tell me why everyone is so convinced we are screwed? I just don't see it.

OMG really?!  LOL ... Model progression is moving a** backwards and there is plenty of reasons to be worried. I am not seeing this as a total loss but signal of what many past progression have taken and normally take when the go to hell. It literally blows my mind that you can not see the backwards slide of all the models and many of the so called positive outcome are on the boarder of being a mess. This is such a screwy question I am not even sure why I am replying to it. Currently the pattern is not in our favor only the remnants of whats left that was at one time amazing.

Thanks for keeping it real! Can always count on you!

Keeping it real should be our goal.... this is rain even here with a SW wind.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/wrfrt/data/current_gfs/images_d2/ww_wgsfc.15.0000.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I believe you and that's why I refuse to buy a one-way ticket for the "Suicide Train"

Uhmmmmm ..... Hmmm a little extreme? Maybe you should clear that thought completely... I actually prefer to swerve onto on coming cars at least I have more control to back out at the last second.

We don't typically see snowless transitions when we have a shortwave digging as far west over the region as shown; I'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't an unanticipated burst of snow over the east side of the island when the cold air finally does arrive. Less favorable looking dynamics have produced significant low level snows in places like Parksville. The typical rain-to-cold dry pattern we see would be the inside slider with shortwave digging starting at northern coast of Oregon or the more vertical ridge with little-to-no positive tilt.

I'm hoping for a surprise here too today. Radar is looking a bit more active over the last hour or so up this way. Currently sitting at 40F.

OMG really?!  LOL ... Model progression is moving a** backwards and there is plenty of reasons to be worried. I am not seeing this as a total loss but signal of what many past progression have taken and normally take when the go to hell. It literally blows my mind that you can not see the backwards slide of all the models and many of the so called positive outcome are on the boarder of being a mess. This is such a screwy question I am not even sure why I am replying to it. Currently the pattern is not in our favor only the remnants of whats left that was at one time amazing.

Manic - Depressive

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Another step backwards from the EPS. Especially @ d11-15.

Some people would suggest you be put on mod preview for this post. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

True, but with the broad Hadley Cells today, the entire interactive NPAC structure will often be shifted poleward. So, I wasn't surprised to see it there.

If the polar/NAM domain had been more favorable, this would have unfolded much differently IMO.

It's always something and you always find a way to spin it. Good job dog. Pat yourself on the back. Bravo!

Wow everyone is touchy touchy today...it's like we are about to enter a raging positive PNA and endless 49 degree rain. So depressing having an Arctic front just hours away from sweeping in...so sad indeed.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

One thing to point out is the GFS ensemble and ECMWF ensemble are both clearly showing a second cold wave beginning around the 9th or 10th. That is after the several days of cold weather this coming week. Not wish casting or rose colored glasses...just saying what the two best medium range models are showing. The Canadian ensemble is good in that period also.

The mood on here today just has me baffled. A lot of people are going to have snow tonight!

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wow everyone is touchy touchy today...it's like we are about to enter a raging positive PNA and endless 49 degree rain. So depressing having an Arctic front just hours away from sweeping in...so sad indeed.

Just makes it unenjoyable being on here. Stupid.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Super tiny flakes falling here

Good sign for tonight.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

It's always something and you always find a way to spin it. Good job dog.

Didn't implicate that as a reason for the trend. Just FYI.

One thing to point out is the GFS ensemble and ECMWF ensemble are both clearly showing a second cold wave beginning around the 9th or 10th. That is after the several days of cold weather this coming week. Not wish casting or rose colored glasses...just saying what the two best medium range models are showing. The Canadian ensemble is good in that period also.

The mood on here today just has me baffled. A lot of people are going to have snow tonight!

Everyone just needs to log into Amazon prime and watch snow day to get in the mood.

36 hours ahead of schedule... plummeting commences now and will not stop!   

Up to 36F here after a low of 26F.  My dusting of snow this morning has melted. 

The last appreciable snowfall here was December 11th, and I still have about 2" of solid ice in my yard from early December. 

Just saw a report of snowing in Hillsboro?! Can anyone confirm?

Edit - Just started here now too!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

For he record...going into tonight I know there will be a window where the air mass won't be cold enough for snow. By the time convergence occurs that won't be the case though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

For he record...going into tonight I know there will be a window where the air mass won't be cold enough for snow. By the time convergence occurs that won't be the case though.

an area of 925mb temps at -3C and -2C for most of W. WA. I don't know what was modeled but that's plenty cold for precip to change to snow and accumulate if you can get it to rain moderately for 30 minutes.

It's going to be fun being one of the only ones on the forum right about all of this. There are a few others also I know.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

an area of 925mb temps at -3C and -2C for most of W. WA. I don't know what was modeled but that's plenty cold for precip to change to snow and accumulate if you can get it to rain moderately for 30 minutes.

That's cold enough for snow in all cases.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Everyone needs to stop antagonizing Jim, and Jim needs to stop telling people how they should feel.

It's just frustrating how what would normally considered good ensemble runs are being discounted. I guess people will have to see for themselves.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It's going to be fun being one of the only ones on the forum right about all of this. There are a few others also I know.

I hope its cold and snowy at my house!    

snowing in fed way... 

attachicon.gif018vc00078.jpg

attachicon.gif005vc14388.jpg

attachicon.gif005vc14300.jpg

You're seeing things. :lol:

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13