February 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

*DISCLAMER* for everyone that freaks out when I ask this... so turn away from your computer/laptop/tablet/phone if you hate me asking how the models look...

But how does the EURO look? The public EURO maps are quite vague... to me anyway. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

*DISCLAMER* for everyone that freaks out when I ask this... so turn away from your computer/laptop/tablet/phone if you hate me asking how the models look...

But how does the EURO look? The public EURO maps are quite vague... to me anyway.

Woah there... you looked at the Euro all on your own?! ;)

• Like 1

Snow globe stuff out there, second afternoon in a row. Not more than a dusting but models have been trending more bullish for up here, looks like 5-9" through the weekend, will likely get melting in between there. Truthfully I'm okay with that after the winter we have had.

Woah there... you looked at the Euro all on your own?! ;)

Yeah 24hr increments of vagueness. I always look at the models when I am at my work computer, just at home i'm too lazy to fire up the laptop and too blind to squint at my phone. 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Sunny all day here with barely any clouds until later afternoon. It was so nice. I can't wait till summer here which is much nicer than the Willamette Valley's too hot summers.

It's not always too hot.  The last few years have been quite warm, however.

Vancouver summers are far too chilly for my taste.  I like to be able to swim in the rivers and lakes for a couple of months per year.  Also, Septembers and the first week or two of October are often perfect.

Vancouver summers are far too chilly for my taste.  I like to be able to swim in the rivers and lakes for a couple of months per year.  Also, Septembers and the first week or two of October are often perfect.

I agree 100%. The summer is one of the best parts of living in this area. I don't think I would be able to handle the cooler summers up in Washington and B.C. 

Sunny all day here with barely any clouds until later afternoon. It was so nice. I can't wait till summer here which is much nicer than the Willamette Valley's too hot summers.

Hopefully you guys can send some of your summer pleasantness down our way again this year.

• Like 1

Flurries all day here. Plus lots of graupel. I'm sure Dare Duck can concur. I'm ready for spring and summer now. 60 and partly cloudy sounds really nice about now along with maybe a rumble of thunder from a cold core t storm. May next winter be as sweet as this one was but let's start the "warmer" season now please.

• Like 1

By Vancouver do you mean YVR? The immediate coastline gets a seabreeze most of the time so it's chilly in June and early July. Mid July to late August is usually okay there though. But, in Burnaby or North Vancouver it's noticeably warmer throughout summer so it never really feels chilly here.

I'll always remember the summer heat in the Willamette Valley/western Oregon. I include "western Oregon" because I just happened to be in Roseburg during the height of a heatwave when it hit 108F. 

The 0z GFS continues to look nice for Sunday. A good part of the "screw zone" from Seattle - South Bellingham looks to be in a prime spot to get dumped on.

Should be good for some scattered snow showers tomorrow as well.

I thought the GEM looked good as well for Sunday. Would be nice if the Friday low was not so far off shore. 

By Vancouver do you mean YVR? The immediate coastline gets a seabreeze most of the time so it's chilly in June and early July. Mid July to late August is usually okay there though. But, in Burnaby or North Vancouver it's noticeably warmer throughout summer so it never really feels chilly here.

I'll always remember the summer heat in the Willamette Valley/western Oregon. I include "western Oregon" because I just happened to be in Roseburg during the height of a heatwave when it hit 108F. 

I'm pretty sure he means the fake Vancouver, WA.

I just went with what wikipedia said (yes, sloppy and lazy).  It said the max average temp was 72f during the summer.  I have no idea if that applies to the majority of the metro area.  FWIW, I've been to the Vancouver area on 3 different occasions during the summer and it was nice and warm enough.  72 is nice, but not high enough for the maximum summer average.  That is too short a window during the day for me to enjoy summer activities.

I thought the GEM looked good as well for Sunday. Would be nice if the Friday low was not so far off shore. 

Yeah, though I'm not a fan of the last few GEM runs. The morning run absorbed the northern low into a southern low rapidly as it entered the region, tonight's is a bit better in that it no longer shows that southern low dominating but is still tracks a bit too far offshore for my liking. The GFS has been the most consistent since it re-latched onto the Sunday system, we'll see if that holds.

Yeah, though I'm not a fan of the last few GEM runs. The morning run absorbed the northern low into a southern low rapidly as it entered the region, tonight's is a bit better in that it no longer shows that southern low dominating but is still tracks a bit too far offshore for my liking. The GFS has been the most consistent since it re-latched onto the Sunday system, we'll see if that holds.

Correction, it looks like the 0z GEM still has the low absorbed by a southern low, just in this run the southern low is weaker and it gets absorbed later. I believe the 12z ECMWF shows something similar; the snowfall potential is much better if we can avoid that situation

• Like 1

Flurries all day here. Plus lots of graupel. I'm sure Dare Duck can concur. I'm ready for spring and summer now. 60 and partly cloudy sounds really nice about now along with maybe a rumble of thunder from a cold core t storm. May next winter be as sweet as this one was but let's start the "warmer" season now please.

It was actually sunny but chilly most of the day in Bend. I saw those graupel/snow showers off to the north, east, and south this afternoon. Looked pretty cool with the sun shining against the shafts.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"