February 23rd-25th Winter Storm Potential

Tom

MPX already has heavy snow and 3-5" in the grids on Thursday evening, and snow through Friday evening. They just jinxed it. Winter Storm Watch coming out soon.

"harsh reality of snow, wind, and colder air to the region beginning

Thursday night and lasting through Friday. Would not be surprised if

a few locations see over a foot of snow. Right now have a swath of 8

to 10 inches, but reality will probably be more narrow with higher

totals.

It was 60 degrees at MSP this afternoon, and in 60 hours it will be

snowing. That in itself makes this system pretty awesome for lack

of better words. "

I miss Skilling and the RPM. The only tv met I ever watched religiously.

I've been to many areas around the states but nothing compares to his broadcasts.  He's The highest paid met in the country.

$1M/yr salary ain't to shabby and a 12 person staff...

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wgns-tom-skilling-signs-10-year-contract-renewal/63262

Meantime, RPM spits out 15" for MSP....

• Like 1

Long duration event for MN/WI as it snows for 30+ hours...

Does that ever really pan out though?  I know around here it hardly ever does.  Models will show 24-36+ hours of continuous snow but then significant lulls always seem to develop as the event unfolds.

I've been to many areas around the states but nothing compares to his broadcasts.  He's The highest paid met in the country.

$1M/yr salary ain't to shabby and a 12 person staff...

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wgns-tom-skilling-signs-10-year-contract-renewal/63262

Meantime, RPM spits out 15" for MSP....

My wife used to work for the Tribune and I met Tom in the WGN TV studios about 8 years ago. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

If (and a huge IF) that 15" verified, it would be the 11th largest single snowfall at MSP dating back to 1871.

• Like 1

Does that ever really pan out though? I know around here it hardly ever does. Models will show 24-36+ hours of continuous snow but then significant lulls always seem to develop as the event unfolds.

Agree, but it will depend how juiced up this system ends up getting and when it starts to occlude.

My wife used to work for the Tribune and I met Tom in the WGN TV studios about 8 years ago. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

If (and a huge IF) that 15" verified, it would be the 11th largest single snowfall at MSP dating back to 1871.

As we watch the 00z NAM and GFS battle it out tonight, there will be another battle brewing in MSP....Hawks vs Wild!

Weren't some of the models late last week showing this storm pounding the Dakotas and N MN? Seems like they had it right from the start b

One thing I will say for the nam in regards to location is even if it gets the track of the low right at this range ofteb the precip shield if off by alot. Wouldnt mattet here for me but could have a large effect for you

• Like 2