February 23rd-25th Winter Storm Potential

Tom

Any thoughts on the cause of the SE trend today (less the NAM)? Just that it's now sampled by the network or maybe the system to the north?

Def. could be the system to the north pulling in colder air. It also looks like the NAM does something funky in the next 18 hours.

Look where it has the low at HR 21:

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/nam/2017022212/021/sfcwind_mslp.conus.png

All the other models are much weaker when it's developing and farther south 

• Like 1

NAM is gonna score a huge one or be way off. I usually think it would do well in this setup because like gosaints said this screamed NW (lack of snowcover, warm temps prior etc) but who knows what affect the storm going through right now has and how much cold air it can bring down with it 

If you look at the SE trend the last 4 or 5 runs on the GFS there really hasn't been a significant change in the amount of cold air dragged down by today's system. I don't recall which office it was, but one of them talked about how the cold air wouldn't be quick to filter south, and how the models seemed to be too quick with it. But, I guess this system shows just how fickle weather is. Even the smallest change can have major implications.

If you look at the SE trend the last 4 or 5 runs on the GFS there really hasn't been a significant change in the amount of cold air dragged down by today's system. I don't recall which office it was, but one of them talked about how the cold air wouldn't be quick to filter south, and how the models seemed to be too quick with it. But, I guess this system shows just how fickle weather is. Even the smallest change can have major implications.

DMX said it will be a quick transition from rain to snow

DMS said it willbe a quick transition grom rain to snow

Yeah I agree with that. But the strength and speed in which today's system drags down cold air determines where the baroclinic zone sets up, and where the heavy snow on Friday falls. I'm just noting that the GFS hasn't shown much change in that yet it continues the SE trend. Meh it's complex. Just trying to make sense of it somehow.

Euro time....