PNW December 2022, winter might be coming; but mostly canceled.

The Blob

I’ll say again, not sure why we’re paying attention to GFS at all really. Multiple times over the last month it’s forecasted snow less than 24 hours out that didn’t happen. It’s been bouncing all over the place for weeks. I take it as a good sign that it’s somewhere in the general ballpark of Euro (there’s a ridge!  And arctic air headed generally south!) and then I move on. 

• Like 5

Even the runs that look worse at the 500mb level still bury Seattle... its pretty much a constant now.  

How about 17 inches of snow in 24 hours.   😀

gfs-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-1742800.png

• Like 8
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

zr_acc.us_nw.png

Up to 2" of ZR in some parts of Portland metro. Won't be many deciduous trees left undamaged after that.

I will gladly take 18 inches of snow in one day over that.  

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Timmy said:

Remember when it was Saturday before that ?

It actually gets going Wednesday morning into Thursday morning.  

And that feature is a constant on all runs of all models now.   That is the big overrunning event and it seems pretty likely to bury the Seattle area.

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

It's just the GFS but man what a disheartening run 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

It actually gets going Wednesday morning into Thursday morning.  

And that feature is a constant on all runs of all models now.   That is the big overrunning event and it seems pretty likely to bury the Seattle area.

I meant that we tracking the event this coming Saturday, now it’s next Thursday 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Word of the day is uncertainty.  Can't wait to see how this actually plays out!

• Like 5
  • Popcorn 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6 minutes ago, Timmy said:

I meant that we tracking the event this coming Saturday, now it’s next Thursday 

I know... clearly the original progression has been slowed down significantly.    The ECMWF does get things going on Tuesday.    But the delay actually leads to much more snow up here as tons of moisture gets pulled in now.

• Like 3