November 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

I love going back to his blogs in 2008 and reading about all the warmth in late November.

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2008/11/very-warm-air.html

And then his blog just 7 days later...

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2008/12/major-changes-next-friday.html

Thanks.

I've been meaning to read into the archives on the best winters here. 

How much snow did you get in December of 2008?

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Thanks.

I've been meaning to read into the archives on the best winters here. 

How much snow did you get in December of 2008?

I topped out at 34”! This was Christmas morning, I had parked my Jetta away from the driveway on December 12th in hopes that I would just be using my 4wd Tahoe to get around for a long time and wanted the Jetta out of the way...I was right!

00F276A8-D96B-4166-B7A4-05B3C655D3B2.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I topped out at 34”! This was Christmas morning, I had parked my Jetta away from the driveway on December 12th in hopes that I would just be using my 4wd Tahoe to get around for a long time and wanted the Jetta out of the way...I was right!

Was 34” a settled depth or total snowfall for the month?

Was 34” a settled depth or total snowfall for the month?

I would measure every day and that was the total. If I remember correctly it was 27" on top of the car on Christmas morning. (If you look closely you can see the hole in the snow on top of the car where I stuck the tape measure in I just noticed haha) 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I see snow in those mountains still. Nice that that will be coming back into the picture as soon as tomorrow evening.

And its only 39 degrees currently at the summit of Snoqualmie! 

I see snow in those mountains still. Nice that that will be coming back into the picture as soon as tomorrow evening.

My sons are not happy with this weather. They want cold and snow now!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Holy cow. And was that at your place in Arlington or did you live somewhere else at that time?

I'll have to go into the CoCoRaHS site and see what the totals were like for my area. Thinking pretty similar since this area gets nailed by the PSCZ.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Looks like 62 at home. Just rained again in Bothell. It's actually humid in the building as well.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Holy cow. And was that at your place in Arlington or did you live somewhere else at that time?

I'll have to go into the CoCoRaHS site and see what the totals were like for my area. Thinking pretty similar since this area gets nailed by the PSCZ.

Same place where I live now, we are not quite 300ft and are between I-5 and the sound west of Smokey Point. We do very well with PSCZ's 

Hard to not like the past several ECMWF runs now. Starting to see some consistency after day 7-8 for the ridge to build near the sweet spot. My hunch is we either see one of two things. Either the models trend colder building off what the ECMWF has been hinting at with ridge developing near 150-155 W and possible cold/arctic pattern or a glancing blow backdoor intrusion into eastern Washington, or we see a big ridge/inversion and fake cold with a cold pool eventually manifesting itself, but not too cold. That could get a boost from cold air spilling over the Rockies into eastern Washington. This would be through December 4th - 7th.

SEA is up to 66 now. But the dewpoint has dropped to 59 so its a little more tolerable out there. Stay hydrated people!

I have the A/C running in my office!

One has to wonder if the subdued torch here means bad things for our winter, locally? 

Puyallup and Roseburg should be golden.

True, regional winter weather events in which Gorge influenced areas are much cooler than other parts of the western lowlands usually don't work out too great for us. ;)