August 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

I said Sunday was our best shot late last week, back when you were throwing out sub-70 shocker warnings every day. ;)

Yeah, you had no doubts whatsoever. Cool as the other side of the pillow.

Tip of the cap to you, good sir.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I'm finally back after a very long break!  In spite of a considerably hotter summer than I anticipated I'm kind of intrigued by how things are evolving now.  Yesterday was the coolest day I've recorded in month of August since I lived here with a 63-47 spread.  It's pretty rare that I get totally surprised by the first sub 50 low of the late summer / early autumn, but I did on that one.  It's pretty interesting to see the CPC going for cool and mostly dry for the mid range outlooks as well.

The thing that has grabbed my attention this season is that in spite of the overall warmth we have had significant cool interludes (especially at the mid and upper levels) on a very regular basis.  Everything has been clipperesque or has dropped down from the GOA so moisture has been very limited in spite of some decent upper level height falls at times.

In the nutshell I'm expecting a very decent cold snap early in the season this year.  It could be a case where several chilly periods will develop eventually culminating in something big.  In general I could see abnormal cold snaps developing anywhere in the mid September to late November period.  As for the winter I don't know yet.  The CFS keeps showing a big Nino, but that is looking iffy for a number of reasons.  I will have a lot more insight into ENSO in the coming days.

• Like 9

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just wait a couple days.

It's pretty possible this summer has blown its wad already.  Could be an autumn very much to our liking.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Not as bad up here.

And we know it will be raining for the next 9 months anyways.   Its not like its going to stay dry.   That is not an option here. 

Finally... nobody is cheering for 95-degree heat and smoke.   But some 75 degree sunshine with blue skies would be wonderful.   Our normal beautiful summer weather has been in rare supply this year and the window for that is closing fast.   55-degree drizzle has no time limit.   It can happen at any time of the year.

Why does everyone have to demonize the other side all the time and make false statements about what they are saying?  

Sounds like you need to be in Portland for the coming week in that case.

http://lmgcorporate.com/kptv/weather/ibs_web_7-day.jpg

Sounds like you need to be in Portland for the coming week in that case.

http://lmgcorporate.com/kptv/weather/ibs_web_7-day.jpg

Looks perfect.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

00z GFS trended a tad stronger with the late week troughing.

Not if you ignore the 18Z.     ;)

Definitely trended towards the ECMWF and EPS from the 12Z run.    

Even so... the 00Z GFS shows a decent Saturday and a beautiful Monday with sunshine and pleasant temps. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Not if you ignore the 18Z.     ;)

Definitely trended towards the ECMWF and EPS from the 12Z run.    

Even so... the 00Z GFS shows a decent Saturday and a beautiful Monday with sunshine and pleasant temps. 

Sunday looks like Satan's armpit, of course.

Sunday looks like Satan's armpit, of course.

Prefer no rain... but whatever.  

I believe Meatloaf once said "don't be sad... cause two out of three ain't bad".    :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s

I'm finally back after a very long break! In spite of a considerably hotter summer than I anticipated I'm kind of intrigued by how things are evolving now. Yesterday was the coolest day I've recorded in month of August since I lived here with a 63-47 spread. It's pretty rare that I get totally surprised by the first sub 50 low of the late summer / early autumn, but I did on that one. It's pretty interesting to see the CPC going for cool and mostly dry for the mid range outlooks as well.

The thing that has grabbed my attention this season is that in spite of the overall warmth we have had significant cool interludes (especially at the mid and upper levels) on a very regular basis. Everything has been clipperesque or has dropped down from the GOA so moisture has been very limited in spite of some decent upper level height falls at times.

In the nutshell I'm expecting a very decent cold snap early in the season this year. It could be a case where several chilly periods will develop eventually culminating in something big. In general I could see abnormal cold snaps developing anywhere in the mid September to late November period. As for the winter I don't know yet. The CFS keeps showing a big Nino, but that is looking iffy for a number of reasons. I will have a lot more insight into ENSO in the coming days.

Welcome back.

I agree with what you're thinking right now. I believe a big regional event in December similar to our last 8/9 Winter. I'm excited in what's ahead for us this Fall and Winter.

Still raining moderately... good soaking.  

I can't wait for tomorrow afternoon to see a truly blue sky and perfect visibility... the smoke has to be completely gone now.    Really looks like the fires might be under control because the smoke maps show absolutely nothing even under the transitory ridge on Tuesday.     There is nothing new up in BC either.  

2018082700_V2018082900Z_gemmach_PM2.5_di

I'm sure they had some in January 2002 as well. The Central Willamette Valley did well with that.

Yes, that was probably the best snow fall of that pathetic stretch.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I'm finally back after a very long break! In spite of a considerably hotter summer than I anticipated I'm kind of intrigued by how things are evolving now. Yesterday was the coolest day I've recorded in month of August since I lived here with a 63-47 spread. It's pretty rare that I get totally surprised by the first sub 50 low of the late summer / early autumn, but I did on that one. It's pretty interesting to see the CPC going for cool and mostly dry for the mid range outlooks as well.

The thing that has grabbed my attention this season is that in spite of the overall warmth we have had significant cool interludes (especially at the mid and upper levels) on a very regular basis. Everything has been clipperesque or has dropped down from the GOA so moisture has been very limited in spite of some decent upper level height falls at times.

In the nutshell I'm expecting a very decent cold snap early in the season this year. It could be a case where several chilly periods will develop eventually culminating in something big. In general I could see abnormal cold snaps developing anywhere in the mid September to late November period. As for the winter I don't know yet. The CFS keeps showing a big Nino, but that is looking iffy for a number of reasons. I will have a lot more insight into ENSO in the coming days.

Glad to have you back, man!

JIM IS ALIVE!!!!

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I'm finally back after a very long break!  In spite of a considerably hotter summer than I anticipated I'm kind of intrigued by how things are evolving now.  Yesterday was the coolest day I've recorded in month of August since I lived here with a 63-47 spread.  It's pretty rare that I get totally surprised by the first sub 50 low of the late summer / early autumn, but I did on that one.  It's pretty interesting to see the CPC going for cool and mostly dry for the mid range outlooks as well.

The thing that has grabbed my attention this season is that in spite of the overall warmth we have had significant cool interludes (especially at the mid and upper levels) on a very regular basis.  Everything has been clipperesque or has dropped down from the GOA so moisture has been very limited in spite of some decent upper level height falls at times.

In the nutshell I'm expecting a very decent cold snap early in the season this year.  It could be a case where several chilly periods will develop eventually culminating in something big.  In general I could see abnormal cold snaps developing anywhere in the mid September to late November period.  As for the winter I don't know yet.  The CFS keeps showing a big Nino, but that is looking iffy for a number of reasons.  I will have a lot more insight into ENSO in the coming days.

Fu

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

C-zone is basically stationary now... still raining moderately here.

Now I’m jelly af. Wanna trade?

You’d love the weather here..95 degrees w/ smokey haze and sky high humidity. In return I’ll take ur drizzle and 70*F afternoons. :)