August 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

The fires in BC must have really been slowed down... the smoke map for Tuesday morning is more clear across the US and Canada than it has been for a long time.

2018082612_V2018082812Z_gemmach_PM2.5_di

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

He actually did... lumping the entire PNW together despite the fact that the people up here were describing a completely different and obviously much uglier day than he was experiencing. ;)

Yesterday was much better here than what we have seen recently, upper 60's and dry for the most part, and not smoky. So he was right.

Yesterday was much better here than what we have seen recently, upper 60's and dry for the most part, and not smoky. So he was right.

:lol:

No.      He was not right.      But he was definitely describing his weather accurately based on the pictures.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Straw man!!!

No.     But you understand the difference.   

This is straw man...   :lol:

You can’t spend all year rooting for a horrific fire season and then complain about the smoke. Breathe deeply. It’s the smell of your dreams coming true.  :)

Rainfall looks pretty pathetic on the radar. 

This is just typical NW flow stuff... drizzle fest to the north and east of Seattle and dry elsewhere.   The main theme of last winter and spring.  

ATX_0.png

Tim’s taking the beginning of this rainy season a lot harder than usual. Things could get pretty ugly later on...

Straw man!  

No need for personal attacks, Jesse.    

Not a personal attack at all. You have been pretty edgy the last couple days though. It is what it is.

OK Jesse.  

My main complaint has been the inability of troughing and precipitation to clear the low level smoke.    I think today's system will finally do the job.  

OK Jesse.  

My main complaint has been the inability of troughing and precipitation to clear the low level smoke.    I think today's system will finally do the job.  

Not sure what you were expecting. It's just residual smoke. The troughing and cooler/wetter weather has been doing the job just fine, which is why your smoke maps look so much better for early next week.

If you'd got an actual trough in early August, the last couple weeks would have been a lot less smoky for a lot of people, that's for sure.

A forum for the end of the world.

Not sure what you were expecting. It's just residual smoke. The troughing and cooler/wetter weather has been doing the job just fine, which is why your smoke maps look so much better for early next week.

If you'd got an actual trough in early August, the last couple weeks would have been a lot less smoky for a lot of people, that's for sure.

I was expecting the low level crap to get scoured out quickly as usual.    That happened in the Seattle area on Thursday but it kept getting worse that day in Victoria and Shawnigan Lake.   They were surprised as well.   Then all that low level smoke settled right back in over the Seattle area.   

Having low clouds and drizzle and a temp in the 50s with an AQI of 150 and the acrid smell of smoke is sort of surreal.    I was not expecting that.  

And yes... it appears that the source is being cut off now and improvement has begun.  

BLI has already picked up .14" today. Wettest day in over 2 months.

NW flow seem to target the area from Bellingham to North Bend and Snoqualmie Pass... while most of the region ends up shadowed.   

NW flow seem to target the area from Bellingham to North Bend and Snoqualmie Pass... while most of the region ends up shadowed.   

Should be some sort of precip focus swinging through the area later this afternoon with the shortwave.

Tim, you may not have been "rooting on" a bad wildfire season, but you certainly were downplaying the warnings after the very dry spring late spring/early summer, instead focusing on how green your own backyard was. 

Well, the warnings proved correct and you personally were affected by the smoke quite a bit. Maybe next time you'll care more about what's going on outside your microclimate.  :)

Should be some sort of precip focus swinging through the area later this afternoon with the shortwave.

That is what the ECMWF has been showing.

Tim, you may not have been "rooting on" a bad wildfire season, but you certainly were downplaying the warnings after the very dry spring late spring/early summer, instead focusing on how green your own backyard was. 

Well, the warnings proved correct and you personally were affected by the smoke quite a bit. Maybe next time you'll care more about what's going on outside your microclimate.  :)

Dude... how many times did I say that we needed region wide rain and not just rain focused on the same area again and again?

I was repeatedly pointing out that the area to the north and east of Seattle was an island of lush green in a sea of drought.    People dismissed how wet it had been and how different it was in this area compared to other areas.   That was not true in late spring and early summer of 2015 when our conditions were as droughty as the rest of the region.

I also said that even with it being wet and green here... we will likely have to deal with smoke from other areas.   

Well, the warnings proved correct and you personally were affected by the smoke quite a bit. Maybe next time you'll care more about what's going on outside your microclimate. :)

Good lord...

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Dude... how many times did I say that we needed region wide rain and not just rain focused on the same area again and again?

I was repeatedly pointing out that the area to the north and east of Seattle was an island of lush green in a sea of drought.    People dismissed how wet it had been and how different it was in this area compared to other areas.   That was not true in late spring and early summer of 2015 when our conditions were as droughty as the rest of the region.

I also said that even with it being wet and green here... we will likely have to deal with smoke from other areas.   

You were very dismissive of drought/fire concerns in WA early on, despite the writing being on the wall.

I don't recall anyone saying your area hadn't been wetter than the rest of the region. But it was pointed out to you that even your little area was drier than normal in May/June, despite not being as dry as the rest of the region..

And you repeatedly made comparisons to 2015, making the point how that year was so much drier for you...well, the smoke/wildfire situation turned out even worse than that year. And that's what many of us were focused on since early summer.

You were very dismissive of drought/fire concerns in WA early on, despite the writing being on the wall.

I don't recall anyone saying your area hadn't been wetter than the rest of the region. But it was pointed out to you that even your little area was drier than normal in May/June, despite you not being as dry as the rest of the region..

And you repeatedly made comparisons to 2015, making the point how that year was so much drier for you...well, the smoke/wildfire situation turned out even worse than that year. And that's what many of us were focused on since early summer.

That is because 2015 turned wet in August. I expected the same thing this year. Just because it was dry in May and June does not mean August will be a smoke fest. It depends on the weather in August.

That is because 2015 turned wet in August. I expected the same thing this year. Just because it was dry in May and June does not mean August will be a smoke fest. It depends on the weather in August.

If May/June are exceptionally dry, that increases the odds dramatically for a bad wildfire season. History has proven that time and again.

2015 was still a bad fire season.

If May/June are exceptionally dry, that increases the odds dramatically for a bad wildfire season. History has proven that time and again.

2015 was still a bad fire season.

And I said many times that I wished the rain was more spread out across the region back in May and June. Many times.

And I said many times that I wished the rain was more spread out across the region back in May and June. Many times.

Rewrite history all you want...I know you downplayed the threats that a regionally dry May/June posed, many times.

It wasn't so much that you wished the rain was more spread out, it was that you wished your area was as dry as the rest of the region. It wasn't until later in summer that you started wishing for regional rains.