January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

Another burst of snow about 10 min ago just ended again. Radar doesn’t look good now. Was sure nice to see nothing but pure snow falling though!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

00Z ECMWF does not really show any more lowland snow after this band moves through.    And nothing on Tuesday.

Also... the Friday - Sunday period looks pretty much dry for western WA and OR which will be nice for some of us.      :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

00Z ECMWF does not really show any more lowland snow after this band moves through.    And nothing on Tuesday.

Also... the Friday - Sunday period looks pretty much dry for western WA and OR which will be nice for some of us.      :)

Is it gonna be sunny or overcast though?

Is it gonna be sunny or overcast though?

Some high clouds... not much in the way of low clouds.   Probably filtered sun.  

High temps look to be mostly in the low to mid 50s from Bellingham to Eugene.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Cherry blossom inducing

Totally dry on Monday as well... that would be 4 dry days in a row.    I will take it.  

If you look at the 850mb map from the 00Z ECMWF... you can see it warms up Tuesday and stays that way into early next week.

Totally dry on Monday as well... that would be 4 dry days in a row.    I will take it!  

If you look at the 850mb map from the 00Z ECMWF... you can see it warms up Tuesday and stays that way into early next week.

I'm good with that. I'd rather have dry anomalies now rather than in the spring or summer so things dont dry out as quickly. What happens in January doesn't mean jack squat for later anyways.

I'm good with that. I'd rather have dry anomalies now rather than in the spring or summer so things dont dry out as quickly. What happens in January doesn't mean jack squat for later anyways.

Very true.

The snow over kitsap on the euro dont count?

I can never tell where Kitsap is on those maps... there is always snow over there because of the Olympics and I don't look that closely to see when it extends to the lowlands.  

Obviously Tuesday morning will be an ideal set up over there with easterly flow and cold air damming.

The end of tonight's GFS run looks a lot like the what the CFS has been hinting at. At face value the cold would proceed to plunge SW under the massive + anoms in the high latitudes. Looks like the SSW might be coming home to roost.

Delayed but not denied. The SSW is what gives me confidence we could have another late season cold snap.

NWS expecting a PSCZ to develop later tonight and snow to fall at places with elevation within it.

Could keep things interesting depending on where it sets up.

That's interesting. 34.7° here with a light snow now.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

The older I get the more the gloom gets to me. I love rain and don't mind it in spring and summer, but in the winter, especially the warm frontal drizzle fests get old. I had rain 22 of the last 23 days in December and still finished the month below average...

That’s how I feel about the current forecast. Boring overcast that doesn’t drop anything when it could have been 2.25” of rain over four days, but nope, the golden rule is that every single storm here dies unless all the planets align. If it’s not going to rain at all it might as well be sunny. At least it’s warm by January standards.

It’s not even the rain, overcast, or short days, it’s the boring weather. I can’t wait for March so something can actually happen. At least we’re not alone and normally sunny Redding, CA is getting the same boring tripe after they get their big storm.

Haha. And that, my friend, is how a monster polar block can dam Arctic air into SW-Canada without the aid of the Pacific.

It’s rare, but when it occurs, crazy stuff tends to happen. See January 1969 and 1943.

This could end up happening at the time of the winter that has the greatest potential also. I think the huge lack of cold nationwide in such a deep solar min means somebody is going to get shellacked before it's over.

I savilate over the idea of another January 1969.

I agree that somebody in the CONUS is going to get pounded hard.

Total precip per the 00Z ECMWF from Friday through the end of the run.    

CA is going to get pounded.   My area gets less rain than the entire state of CA... including Death Valley and Blythe.    :)

ecmwf-precip-120-west-41.png

CA is going to get pounded. My area gets less rain than the entire state of CA... including Death Valley and Blythe. :)

That would be nice! Let the ground recover before we get hammered with feet of snow in a few weeks!
  • Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Snow at the very top of the highlands in issaquah. Also looks like it’s snow in snowualmie ridge, and North Bend.

Hope we don’t have another windstorm. Power was out a long time this morning. Strongest windstorm in recent memory.

This winter sure has been a dud for snow.

Yeah I'm kinda done with windstorms now. Getting tired of cleaning up the yard and roof/ gutters after each event. Last night was the strongest followed by the last event.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

CA is going to get pounded.   My area gets less rain than the entire state of CA... including Death Valley and Blythe.    :)

Looks like Mount Shasta is right on the edge of the storm. Siskiyou/Shasta county line is getting pounded. Dunsmuir is getting nearly 5” this week! We get a whopping 0.43”.

I’m sure the ground needs to recover from average rainfall in mid-winter!!

As usual... its been wetter up here over the last month than down there.   

Wetter than normal in many places...

anomimage.gif

The GEFS and EPS are now predicting a 3+ week wind reversal in the stratosphere @ 10mb/65N.

Unprecedented, as currently modeled.

• Like 1

All we can hope is that February and March end up not torching while at the same time delivering at least average precip. We need that mountain snowpack.

Agreed. Unfortunately that is the opposite of late winter/early spring climo in an El Niño year. Maybe the SJSSW will save us.

Looks below normal over Mossy’s house. Hope he can recover!!

No... he lives farther north now. And it's been really wet up there over the last week as well.

Agreed. Unfortunately that is the opposite of late winter/early spring climo in an El Niño year. Maybe the SJSSW will save us.

I think our climate is done following normal patterns so I'm not going to lose hope for later this year. But at the same time, my hope is literally just to achieve average precip and temperatures. That's what things have come to.

• Like 1

I demand more maps and anecdotes.

Fact is... it's just been much wetter up here and in southern BC. While Oregon and SW WA are still running dry.

The beat goes on. We don't have any drought worries and some dry weather sounds nice.

Different weather... different perspectives

I think our climate is done following normal patterns so I'm not going to lose hope for later this year. But at the same time, my hope is literally just to achieve average precip and temperatures. That's what things have come to.

You and me both brother.