Jan. 22nd-23rd Winter Storm

Money

Hard to tell what I have so far but we picked up a decent amount, nothing crazy.

With these 2 snowfalls, chance of record lows Thursday, chance of a clipper on Friday...sitting on a nice snowpack.

I am happy.

• Like 1

Dubuque 2007-2008 Winter

78.1"  Total snowfall

February Snowfall 32.5"

City salt usage  : 12,211 tons

Days of measurable snow  : 40

When I went to bed last night, the massive flakes switched to light rain around 10:15pm.  After looking at the radar loop, it didn't look like much rain fell throughout the night.  However, to my delight, I'm waking up to big snow flakes falling from the sky!  Pretty lucky to be getting snow falling right now as I thought for sure I'd be getting rain.

Measured a little over 1" of slop...hoping to score a couple inches from this main wave of snow through the morning hours.

• Like 3

Definitely is. I am just SW of Des Moines and picked up 1.2" in about 70 minutes

Awesome!  I'm not complaining over here and glad the switch-over happened quicker than forecasted.  Just glad it is snowing and not raining on our deep snow pack.  How much have you scored from this system?  How much snow OTG?

Awesome! I'm not complaining over here and glad the switch-over happened quicker than forecasted. Just glad it is snowing and not raining on our deep snow pack. How much have you scored from this system? How much snow OTG?

I am at 5.3" so far. Still coming down. Have a foot on the ground. NWS tweeted out that Albia, Iowa last hour was at 6 for the storm and 20!!!! On the ground. They've been hammered SE of Des Moines all year

• Like 2

I am at 5.3" so far. Still coming down. Have a foot on the ground. NWS tweeted out that Albia, Iowa last hour was at 6 for the storm and 20!!!! On the ground. They've been hammered SE of Des Moines all year

Unbelievable!  What a turnaround us peeps in the heartland have enjoyed since Winter finally decided to arrive around Jan 11th.  #BuildTheGlacier...even though we have not seen that "Bomb" cyclone this month, we have been in the right spot to track winter storms.  Ready for more???  As for MBY, I haven't measured exactly, but from the freezing drizzle yesterday and the quick 1" of snow, my snow pack is about 7-8" I'd say.  I'll take a measurement later today.  I'm thrilled that it's snowing this morning and thankful Mother Nature has decided to have the SLP track just south of the city. 

Check out how close it is tracking across the south side of Chicago.  Winds have turned out of the N and this map clearly shows where the SLP is located.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-90.76,40.66,3000

• Like 1

Super confused because KLNK only measured 1.7". I'm going to guess that's an error going to be corrected later because even if you measured in the lowest spot possible you would have to get twice that...

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Only 3.8 inches in my yard.  What a joke of a storm.  Instead of being in the bulls-eye, as the models predicted, I ended up in the anti-bulls-eye.  We spent half the last day in dry pockets within the very patchy deformation zone.    :angry:

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Here is where Grand Rapids stands on this current event. The total snow fall over night here at my house is 1.7" of very wet snow the snow fell as a mix of snow and rain the snow has now became all rain here with a temperature of 32.9° there is now a total of 4" of snow on the ground here at my house. I also placed this in the January post as well.

Only 3.8 inches in my yard.  What a joke of a storm.  Instead of being in the bulls-eye, as the models predicted, I ended up in the anti-bulls-eye.  We spent half the last day in dry pockets within the very patchy deformation zone.    :angry:

Yeah it seems really patchy

attachicon.gifIMG_20190123_071555.jpg

Roughly 3" here in 60156. Still coming down, not looking forward to cleaning it with the layer of frozen crap underneath from when it started yesterday.

Nice picture to capture the "Snow Globe" effect!  As daylight emerges, it looks like a Winter Wonderland out here as well.  Currently -SN with temps dropping finally below Freezing.  Everything is coated in White Gold!

• Like 1

Super confused because KLNK only measured 1.7". I'm going to guess that's an error going to be corrected later because even if you measured in the lowest spot possible you would have to get twice that...

OAX tweeted 1.8" out. If they run with that then whoever measures at KLNK needs to be fired on the spot. They're always hot garbage with wind-driven events but the discrepancy has never been THIS bad.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.