Jan. 22nd-23rd Winter Storm

Money

I am currently getting the heaviest snow of the entire event.  This should push my total to 4 inches.  Before this burst I brought my gauge in and melted it down..... only 0.33".  Models predicted 0.60".

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I am currently getting the heaviest snow of the entire event. This should push my total to 4 inches. Before this burst I brought my gauge in and melted it down..... only 0.33". Models predicted 0.60".

The models were an absolute $&/! show with this system, that’s for sure!

Ended up with about 4.5 inches of snow from this storm in my backyard, not bad at all.

OAX tweeted 1.8" out. If they run with that then whoever measures a KLNK needs to be fired on the spot. They're always hot garbage with wind-driven events but the discrepancy has never been THIS bad.

Wtf

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Boy, this is some pretty heavy stuff.... pound town, 1-2" per hour probably.  Radar shows a heavy pocket passing north of the city, but the north wind is blowing it southward as it falls.  Radar shows one more nice burst coming, too.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Still coming down strong, though it looks like it may not be too much longer. That said, snow has been coming down for about an hour at a good rate. I’m guessing we’ve added at least an additional inch, putting me above 5”. Let’s try and crack 6! Gonna need some more development, but I suppose getting 5.5 is possible.

• Like 1

I'm refusing to put the 1.8" down in my signature line because I know the airport got way more than that. Maybe not the 5" I got down here, but they got the same bands I did for the most part. It's comical that OAX is actually buying the 1.8" report. 

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Very icy roads. A lot of schools are closed today (to be exact 767 schools). Light drizzle and temps are still holding at 34F. Not much melting going on. Picked up at least .15" of ice, if not a little more. Snowfall was very limited w this one.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

I'm refusing to put the 1.8" down in my signature line because I know the airport got way more than that. Maybe not the 5" I got down here, but they got the same bands I did for the most part. It's comical that OAX is actually buying the 1.8" report.

Yeah I'm just going to disregard that. The middle of the airport runway might've measured 1.8" but the rest of us got a snowstorm. Only my 2nd winter here but definitely the most I've seen on the ground.

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

I saw the Lincoln NWS replying to people on Twitter, many of which were saying how wrong that measurement is. They mention several other 5” measurements in the area, so I’m guessing you’re much closer to that than the 1.8 report.

• Like 1

I saw the Lincoln NWS replying to people on Twitter, many of which were saying how wrong that measurement is. They mention several other 5” measurements in the area, so I’m guessing you’re much closer to that than the 1.8 report.

Yeah I was one of those people. Usually they're decent about correcting bad reports but they seem pretty adamant about this one.

This snow drifted hard. There are a couple isolated areas around my complex where there's nothing but the crusty old snow on the ground. I can see how an amateur like me with nothing other than a ruler can screw up measuring in this kind of wind, but considering this is an actual station with good equipment they shouldn't have any major problems like this.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Looks like my final will be 3.4". 2.8 of that fell in a few hour span very early this morning. 0.6 last evening. Huge lull between events. And yesterday was frz drz. Weird storm. Models were horrendous.

Yes they were. In their defense, this was one of the oddest storms I can remember in a while. The defo band was incredibly unorganized.

• Like 1

Just saw a report of 4” in DBQ. Wonder what part of DBQ, because I already had 4” before the heavy stuff this morning.

This is one of the weird storms that could have some pretty sharp difference between just a few miles, so I guess I’m not shocked to see that difference.

Edit: Looks like it was right downtown. I’ll be interested to see what the airport has. They had almost 4” this morning before the heavy stuff started, so they were at least a little closer to what I had.

Iowa snow totals as of 9:40AM

After a slow start to the Winter, most of the state of Iowa has sure been a snow magnet the last few weeks.

Another tight gradient with this system across the Omaha metro area... 5.4 inches reported at Eppley Airfield on the east side of the city, and only 1.0 measured at the weather service office northwest of the city. Seems like most of the city was firmly in the 3 to 5 range.

• Like 1

KLNK just corrected to 3.9". Still seems a bit low but THAT I'll be fine with.

On the lower end, but much more reasonable. Now at this point we're going to have to try really hard to not end up with an above average season lol

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

On the lower end, but much more reasonable. Now at this point we're going to have to try really hard to not end up with an above average season lol

We're only a couple tenths away so of course we'll get above average, but the pattern to open February looks very blah to me. Looks like a colder version of December tbh. People to our East will be happy but we won't be. In fact, now that I look at it harder, February as a whole isn't looking too great.

The final burst of heavy snow this morning boosted my total to 4.6 inches.  That sounds a lot better than 3.8.  My liquid total is 0.44".  This stuff is pretty light and fluffy, so a ratio of 10.5 to 1 seems low.

As usual, it appears I under-performed/under-measured many locations around Cedar Rapids.  Because we got stuck in more dry pockets, there are plenty of 7+" reports well east, south, and west.

• Like 1