March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

Stopped by the lake house this morning... Now this gets me in the mood for spring and summer! Gorgeous morning! Water temp is a little chilly for lake sports just yet however!

4F4CB4AD-C962-4DEF-AB4E-12F0611D9066.jpeg

30F8BC06-A54C-4A09-A8B9-3619ED98311D.jpeg

88D87053-7B04-4CCE-933B-610FB0891840.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

PDX sitting at 38 at 11am. I doubt they see much if any warming after 2pm. Don't think a sub-40 high is in the cards, but 40-42 seems like a good bet.

12Z ECMWF showed a high of 34 at PDX today.    :rolleyes:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I’m leaning towards the euro on this one. The 500mb pattern doesn’t seem like one that would be totally dry.

I agree.

And the GFS and FV3 both show the same basic 500mb pattern as the ECMWF.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Wow I’m in the blue.

Actually less than the 00Z run.

I am also in the blue and I don't expect much of anything here.    

Must be another overrunning event after Wednesday?

No... looks more like a period of cold onshore flow on Friday.   Probably showing ice pellet showers as snow.  

Hey Tim could you post a total snow map for north central Washington please for tuesday-friday. Thank you.

Tuesday - Saturday:

ecmwf-snow-96-washington-25-1.jpg

Some seriously impressive lows in Montana this morning! Some monthly records for March:

-41 at Sun River (-37 on 3/8/2002)

-38 at Ingomar (-35 on 3/3/1960)

-38 at Hysham (-34 on 3/2/2014)

Cut Bank just missed their monthly record (-34 on 3/8/2002) with a reading of -33. 

• Like 1

Wilbur, WA just missed their monthly record with a reading of -3 this morning. Record is -4 on 3/1/1922, also hit -3 on 3/4/1955. 

Hermiston, OR tied their long-standing monthly record with a reading of 6. Also 6 degrees on 3/1/1917.

Arlington, OR broke their monthly record with 9 degrees this morning. Previously 11 on 3/5/1955. 

• Like 1

Off topic but here is my late wife's 69 camaro i built for her and finished right before she passed. Having one of those day's today that come from time to time. Did everything on car including paint and wanted to show u guys and gals.

Awesome car!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

36 at SEA and 32 here this morning.    It does not even seem to be real windy either.   Its actually warmer than yesterday morning.

I am guessing that we have a downslope component up here while Portland does not.

22 at station of the gods this morning. They will be colder tomorrow AM.

A forum for the end of the world.

22 at station of the gods this morning. They will be colder tomorrow AM.

All UHI up here... east wind had nothing to do with it.    It was a strange east wind that came through Snoqualmie Pass and out to SEA but did not blast OLM.    Usually OLM is a prime spot for east wind through the passes.   Much better than North Bend.     ;)

45 at SEA and 43 in North Bend now. Does not feel too different than yesterday here.

43 here so slightly cooler than this time yesterday. Also DP at 19 and a good breeze blowing as well so it definitely feels colder than yesterday here.

43 here so slightly cooler than this time yesterday. Also DP at 19 and a good breeze blowing as well so it definitely feels colder than yesterday here.

A little bit cooler. But still really pleasant.

I really thought we’d stay below freezing today. Ugh.

Exactly one month ago to the hour we were down to the freezing mark!

658EBC00-B083-47E4-A33D-17AC8179B260.jpeg

• Like 1

Our plants emerging from being buried under 4+ feet of compacted snow from the snow blower.

20190303-124118.jpg

Even the little daylilies which had sprouted way too early in January seem to be just fine.

20190303-124149.jpg

Granted we have been building cold karma for all seasons but I was thinking spring has been closer to the average temp more so than any other season recently. I remember recently getting a lot of cold patterns that I was wishing we would have gotten during winter. Summer has been the most ridiculous season in terms of warm temp anomalies.

Since about 2014, spring has been a blowtorch overall for the West.

cd75.166.90.158.61.14.2.37.prcp.png

A forum for the end of the world.

Looks like the temperature has already stopped rising here...stuck just under 42 degrees.  It will be interesting to see if we get another one of those freaky CAA events like we had in the afternoon last week.  I'm still not sure what the trigger was for that.  That was the coldest wind I've seen so late in the season here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9