July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I mean, it is pretty infuriating that we haven't had a good winter since 2016-17 and even our wet seasons have been dry.

I just want a wet winter. In the Pacific Northwest, which for some bizarre reason is incapable of delivering one. Might as well live east of the Cascades, at least they get more snow and thunderstorms over there.

I mean, 2015-2016 was insanely wet, as was 2016-2017. Maybe the two winters since then haven’t been good, but to be honest (and this is coming from someone like me) you need to be more patient...

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

85 and mostly sunny. Sipping a beer out by the river. You guys are complaining today?

I’m going to be honest, I’ve been the only one complaining. And it’s about recent winters, not about summer. Sorry for being such a party crasher in general. I want a wet winter, but who knows if it will happen. Let’s just focus on summer for now.

Beautiful day outside, by the way.

• Like 1

F*ck you, heat boy.

My power and water bills say you can go straight to HELL.

And all of your Cedars are going to die.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Guest CulverJosh

I’m going to be honest, I’ve been the only one complaining. And it’s about recent winters, not about summer. Sorry for being such a party crasher in general. I want a wet winter, but who knows if it will happen. Let’s just focus on summer for now.

Trust me. I was there last winter. A beautiful gorge winter is coming soon.

85 and mostly sunny. Sipping a beer out by the river. You guys are complaining today?

80 and sunny here with a cold beer in hand. No complaints!

20190714-160439.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You're about to get your a** chewed out by the chamber of commerce for that reading being a little on the cool side.

Actually feels warmer than 80.

Its warm... even in the water.

20190714-164642.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You're about to get your a** chewed out by the chamber of commerce for that reading being a little on the cool side.

lol it’s actually up to 75 now. Cool breeze here though. I live close to the water so we usually run cooler in the summer.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I bet it feels like 79.

Feels perfect... cold beer and music and my daughter making new friends. That is her jumping of neighbors lily pad...

20190714-154815.jpg

Same here. Haven't seen a classic Sou'wester in a while.

I think 12/11/14 was our last one? Maybe 4/7/17.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

I saw 70 MPH gusts on the coast on 4/7/17. Also remember loads of power outages throughout the valley. Did it just leave a lot on the table?

That was a nasty storm. Gusts past 65 in many parts of the valley, I believe it reached 78 at a station close to my house.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

It'll flip one day.  It did for me this last winter.  Was going through the most paltry snow stretch of my life from Feb 2014 through this past Feb with only one event that dropped 3" IMBY, all the other events were way less significant.  Then Eugene/Springfield got clubbed.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Springfield also hit 89F.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Speaking of that 1969 analog mentioned by FrontalSnowsquall..

DCA has observed 23 days at/above 90*F so far. That’s in the top-20..right on par with 1969. Just FWIW.GpuW90a.png

Cool west, warm east. ;)

Of course, the inverse of warm west, cool east.

It’s all teleconnected.

• Like 1

Wrong thread.

Pound sand, b*tch.

And wavetrains are large scale..this may have hemispheric application.

Irregardless, wrong thread, POS!!

Nah, you’re just too stupid to see potential macroscale connections. And that’s fine, we all have our challenges.

Why do we talk about ENSO/etc? These things are connected.

Nah, you’re just too stupid to see the connection. And that’s fine, we all have our challenges.

Why do we talk about ENSO/etc? These things are connected.

Nah, its summer and really nothing interesting to discuss weather wise for anyone... just tired of seeing east coast crap on a west coast forum, so...

Have a good day sir!

Nah, its summer and really nothing interesting to discuss weather wise for anyone... just tired of seeing east coast crap on a west coast forum, so...

Have a good day sir!

Then why are you posting on a weather forum? Go do something “interesting”, as you say.

And you’re still missing the point. But whatevs.

Wavetrain isn’t just what’s happening over the PNW. It covers the entire globe at the temperate latitudes.

Warm west, cool east (and the inverse) is just one example. In 1954, while the PNW was having an extremely troughy summer, the plains and part of the intermountain west were roasting. Colorado had one of its hottest summers on record that year. 2010 and 2011 were hot summers in most places east of the Rockies. There’s a reason why we often watch an Arctic Blast hit the Midwest in winter while it’s toasty and in the high 50s (or even 60+) in the lowland PNW.

There’s also persistent blocking systems such as the Rex Block we saw this spring. One day in May, Fairbanks was warmer than most of the desert southwest if I recall. It’s all teleconnected.

• Like 1

Then why are you posting on a weather forum? Go do something “interesting”, as you say.

And you’re still missing the point. But whatevs.

Actually not missing any points, I understand more than you think.

And, my wife and I just got home from a full day of golfing, just thought I would check the forum to see what kind of bullshit was being spewed today, hasn't disappointed on the humor value!!

Actually not missing any points, I understand more than you think.

And, my wife and I just got home from a full day of golfing, just thought I would check the forum to see what kind of bullshit was being spewed today, hasn't disappointed on the humor value!!

Golf??? I suck at golf. Can’t shake the baseball swing.

Wavetrain isn’t just what’s happening over the PNW. It covers the entire globe at the temperate latitudes.

Warm west, cool east (and the inverse) is just one example. In 1954, while the PNW was having an extremely troughy summer, the plains and part of the intermountain west were roasting. Colorado had one of its hottest summers on record that year. 2010 and 2011 were hot summers in most places east of the Rockies. There’s a reason why we often watch an Arctic Blast hit the Midwest in winter while it’s toasty and in the high 50s (or even 60+) in the lowland PNW.

There’s also persistent blocking systems such as the Rex Block we saw this spring. One day in May, Fairbanks was warmer than most of the desert southwest if I recall. It’s all teleconnected.

Maybe we’ll get along after all. :)

Golf??? I suck at golf. Can’t shake the baseball swing.

Lol, you would think my wife used to play baseball looking at her swing, she's learning and improving fast though.

My back issues have prevented me from golfing for over ten years and I got back at it this past week, not doing too bad since my surgery in December and a long a** layoff from swinging a club!!

Doc said it would be a year from surgery before I should play but my physical therapist and him signed off on it a couple weeks ago due to my speedy recovery so far.

• Like 1