October 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

So far not much more than a few sprinkles from the forecast fast-moving storm. Tomorrow looks to be a blustery, Fraser outflow sort of day.

Rainfall associated with this system hasn’t really reached your area but even when it does it’ll probably be a tenth of an inch maybe 2. Most areas across the sound should see similar or lighter totals the farther south you go. Main impact should be a chilly breeze.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Woke up to trees showering leaves into my yard.  Grandson ran around trying to catch them as they danced in the 10-15 mph south wind. A few helicopters fell as well....he was stoked!  

A warm 54* this morning and coffee taste great! You guys are getting me excited as we enter into next weeks chilly weather.

To put things in prospective.....we are on the threshold of Winter, anything can happen from today forward! 
Hoping we get into some very very active weather after this next brush with the chiller weather

I’m sitting at 49.5 for my average October temp so far

• Like 1

To put things in prospective.....we are on the threshold of Winter, anything can happen from today forward!

Two years ago on the 5th of November, I woke to a dusting of snow on the lawn. I was living at 100 feet elevation on an island surrounded by salt water at the time.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

This is pretty late in the year for smoke in southern Oregon, unless of course more people nearby are doing controlled burns. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Two years ago on the 5th of November, I woke to a dusting of snow on the lawn. I was living at 100 feet elevation on an island surrounded by salt water at the time.

Yeah I remember that one 11/5/17 1/2” of snow fell here. Had a trace on 11/3/17 as well. Earliest I’ve ever seen snow here.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Woke up to trees showering leaves into my yard. Grandson ran around trying to catch them as they danced in the 10-15 mph south wind. A few helicopters fell as well....he was stoked!

A warm 54* this morning and coffee taste great! You guys are getting me excited as we enter into next weeks chilly weather.

Hoping we get into some very very active weather after this next brush with the chiller weather

I’m sitting at 49.5 for my average October temp so far

up to 56 here now with the breezy southerlies kicking in was 45 this morning. Things might get a little active to the north today, watch the PSCZ maybe see another lightning show like last weekend. Should be some chilly frosty mornings coming up hopefully we get into some more active weather in November though.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

up to 56 here now with the breezy southerlies kicking in was 45 this morning. Things might get a little active to the north today, watch the PSCZ maybe see another lightning show like last weekend. Should be some chilly frosty mornings coming up hopefully we get into some more active weather in November though.

Maybe they are missing it but I’m not seeing much support for a strong PSCZ in this morning’s mesoscale models. Perhaps the flow is turning northerly too quickly for it to form?

Maybe they are missing it but I’m not seeing much support for a strong PSCZ in this morning’s mesoscale models. Perhaps the flow is turning northerly too quickly for it to form?

Definitely a possibility. Wouldn’t be the first time it happened, if it does form it’ll be brief and then break apart as it moves towards sea-tac like usual. I think we will see a decent brief PSCZ here pretty shortly.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

There will a c-zone but it will probably get ripped apart fairly quickly.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I’d prefer it to hold off till end of November. When is the last time it snowed mid November in the lowlands?

Good news for you then... its sending the cold air into the Midwest at the end of the run and bypassing us.  

gfs_T850a_us_65.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I’d prefer it to hold off till end of November. When is the last time it snowed mid November in the lowlands?

96 comes to mind. Though I’m not sure how far south it penetrated. Northern areas had a lot. Historic stuff in the Fraser valley during the 3rd week of November.

PSCZ will be something to watch today.

Wish it would slip south (I would never say that during a snow event) It is currently quite ugly out up here.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

96 comes to mind. Though I’m not sure how far south it penetrated. Northern areas had a lot. Historic stuff in the Fraser valley during the 3rd week of November.

I had just under a foot of snow with that one.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

12z ECMWF is the coldest run yet for out here. 700mb temps drop to -26C!

Going to be widespread below zero readings with this one.

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history