October 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

00z ECMWF through Day 3 in lockstep with the absurdly cold GEM. So far.....

There are finally a few GFS ensembles beginning to acknowledge that second cold shot.  I absolutely love the GEM and the 12z ECMWF pattern progression after the cold shot.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Full on censorship? No dissension or discussion of model details allowed? Come on Fred.

It looked like mockery towards myself when you said "Winter", but I don't care really. During October it would be amazing to have 850s that cold whether it's 1 day or 9 days. I would be historic and really neat to see that come to fruition.

• Like 2

Now Day 4 difference arises the GEM digs the arctic trough back a few notches more than the EURO.

We have seen a few times the GEM wins these battles.  I will never forget Nov 2010.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It looked like mockery towards myself when you said "Winter", but I don't care really. During October it would be amazing to have 850s that cold whether it's 1 day or 9 days. I would be historic and really neat to see that come to fruition.

It was sort of tongue-in-cheek. Normal ribbing we do all day all day long here. Like any group of people who are basically together every single day!

Certainly not personal. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Indeed.  This is only October and it's D**n fun to watch these wintry patterns emerging already.  It's not like this is make or break stuff right now.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

00z ECMWF Day 5 not as great of course as the insane GEM op(Outlier), but this isn't exactly warm either. Still time to trend colder.

ecmwf_T850_nwus_6.png

Chilly enough to produce some great low temps assuming the dew points tank which they probably will.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Indeed.  This is only October and it's d**n fun to watch these wintry patterns emerging already.  It's not like this is make or break stuff right now.

I’m loving it. Looking more and more likely PDX will score their coldest October in nearly 50 years, given the model trends today.. I’ve always wanted to experience an October like this, regardless of any possible ramifications for the upcoming winter.

• Like 2

It certainly appears those poor suckers in CA are going to have their power cut on a number of days coming up.  They are going to have bone dry north winds there.  You can bet if the rich famous people lived in that area the power wouldn't be cut.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I’m loving it. Looking more and more likely PDX will score their coldest October in nearly 50 years, given the model trends today.. I’ve always wanted to experience an October like this, regardless of any possible ramifications for the upcoming winter.

To see an October with so many incarnations of cold is pretty amazing.  Besides all of the dry cold we've had the two major snow episodes in the mountains also.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

So, I guess I'm not crazy when I say that I'm really excited for this upcoming cold snap. This has been a good two months, especially with that constant pattern appearing over and over.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Oh yeah without a doubt. Really chilly overnight temps, frosty pumpkins, sunshine. No complaints

00z GFS (Saturday) in 44 hours 55 minutes

The surface high to our NW will be a dominating feature next week.  As a result the east wind should get off while we still have a cool and very dry air mass in place.  Could be some pretty wild low temps.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Oh yeah without a doubt. Really chilly overnight temps, frosty pumpkins, sunshine. No complaints

00z GFS (Saturday) in 44 hours 55 minutes

Might be too breezy in your area and my area for frost on Monday and Tuesday night per the 00Z ECMWF.

But that will probably make it feel colder.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Pretty neat little move how the block flattens and rotates back to the GOA in one fluid step.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

My area for sure. Maybe Thursday night until gradients go flat in the Gorge.

Yeah... usually windy in your area means at least some wind in my area as well.     

No doubt that setup shown on the Euro at day 8 has incredible potential to go somewhere good.  It just depend how those two areas of high pressure interact.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That would be considerably warmer than the “perfect” mid 70’s in early July...

Yes... really warm would be nice as well on a holiday weekend.

I think you’re too old for trick or treating, Tim

I will be out there with my daughter and her friends. So will my wife. It's actually a huge event in North Bend. One of the large subdivisions goes all out with decorations and displays and people come from all over. Almost seems like you have to agree to participate if you buy a house there. It's a massive party with most people setting up in their driveway and/or garage. And some of them hand out jello shots to the parents. Its wall-to-wall people and really fun. We have done it every year 2004!

I will be out there with my daughter and her friends. So will my wife. It's actually a huge event in North Bend. One of the large subdivisions goes all out with decorations and displays and people come from all over. Almost seems like you have to agree to participate if you buy a house there. It's a massive party with most people setting up in their driveway and/or garage. And some of them hand out jello shots to the parents. Its wall-to-wall people and really fun. We have done it every year 2004!

Jell-O shots can be surprisingly efficient at getting you drunk.

Special weather statement for the BC lower mainland tomorrow. Winds possibly gusting to 50mph.

• Like 1

46F in Monmouth. Stars are beautiful. Love the winter constellations.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope