Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

Wow!  Definite Arctic front.  I'm beginning to think we may see some impressive cold after all.  All models agree we will have favorable pressure gradients tomorrow night to fully flood the Seattle area with cold from Whatcom County.

This cold is coming in pretty aggressive really. That's the fastest temp drop I've seen there.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

It almost appears that big blob of moisture north of the c-zone will push down the Puget Sound basin later in the night.  Could be a really snowy night for a pretty good swath.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=sew&sid=LLFW1&num=48&raw=0&dbn=mThis is the nearest obs to my cabin. Impressive temp drop. It's about 6 miles away from my cabin.

Lost Lake is where I had one of my most surreal weather experiences one summer afternoon.. I left Tonasket, headed towards Lost Lake, and it was 100˚F. I could see big black clouds over the plateau to the east. By the time I was halfway to the lake it was windy outside. I rolled down the window and it was refreshingly cool compared to the oven-like conditions I had departed not even a half hour prior. Soon I was in rain showers. It kept getting cooler.

Ahead, I noticed a fog bank. I knew what that meant: hail. Yup, a severe hail storm had covered the ground, creating a local inversion layer and fog. Suddenly it was quite chilly. Within an hour of having the air conditioning cranked, I was running the heater, driving in a chilly fog, through a whitened landscape.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Down to 30 now in Everett and things are starting to freeze up. 

Closing in on 4 inches here and I really think I'll have close to 6" by morning.

It's incredible outside.

• Like 6

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Closing in on 4 inches here and I really think I'll have close to 6" by morning.

It's incredible outside.

Super jealous, congrats on the dumpage!!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

It's incredible outside.

Congrats, that's incredible, truly.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Radar continues to look really good for Seattle.

Friends reporting heavy sticking snow on Bainbridge, in Kirkland, and in North Seattle.

• Like 2

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

It almost appears that big blob of moisture north of the c-zone will push down the Puget Sound basin later in the night.  Could be a really snowy night for a pretty good swath.

happy that a lot of ppl are scoring up north. Hope the south Puget sound gets in also❄️

Lost Lake is where I had one of my most surreal weather experiences one summer afternoon.. I left Tonasket, headed towards Lost Lake, and it was 100˚F. I could see big black clouds over the plateau to the east. By the time I was halfway to the lake it was windy outside. I rolled down the window and it was refreshingly cool compared to the oven-like conditions I had departed not even a half hour prior. Soon I was in rain showers. It kept getting cooler.

Ahead, I noticed a fog bank. I knew what that meant: hail. Yup, a severe hail storm had covered the ground, creating a local inversion layer and fog. Suddenly it was quite chilly. Within an hour of having the air conditioning cranked, I was running the heater, driving in a chilly fog, through a whitened landscape.

It is an amazing area. I can't get enuff. Try and go there as much as possible.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

The ECMWF shows off and on snow right through tomorrow night.  Just by looking at it I would say it's underestimating the c-zone at this juncture.  It is still pretty juicy.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Alright, let's get some good news for southern posters! Come on, think cold and snow!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of the sudden a snow shower has popped up the radar just a few miles from here.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looks like EURO is even further north...bummer. Takes Portland out of the running for any snow.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

I'm looking at WSU and Whittier (Los Angeles)-- and of course OSU and UofO. Part of my irritation on the weather front definitely stems from other life issues (I don't think I'm the only one that can say that) including horrifically bad grades the past year or so, so I'm a bit worried if any of those colleges will accept me haha

You should check out Montana State, you'll definitely get your snow and wind fix there!!   :D

• Like 1

Someone mind posting a PDX snow map for the EURO? Don't have access to it.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

That sucks!  :(

Looking at pics, it was more like 1.5", but that still would have beat the mere dusting I managed to eke out. What was particularly frustrating was I was tracking that cell making steady progress to me on the radar, then it stalls out and starts disintegrating right before it hits me.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

This is through Thursday morning. Sadly another step back.

attachicon.gifsn10_acc.us_city_pdx.png

Wow...that's...worse than I was expecting. Congrats Seattle for another win ig?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Thursday is still a lot of runs away, considering how poorly models have handled this pattern.

Yeah...but the third year in a row like this....is kinda painful. So much of potential...

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife