Pacific Northwest Weather -June 2023

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

This is just wrong.

IMG_3932.jpeg

That's basically been summer here for about 7-8 years now.

• Like 2

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

1 minute ago, Phil said:

We must have soft lungs because both my gf and I have been coughing intermittently since yesterday afternoon.

High humidity is more physically debilitating, but I can always go indoors to avoid it if necessary. Meanwhile this  is just everywhere, even indoors, despite the air filters running nonstop.

You at least have AC with filters. 

• Sad 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

1 minute ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

You at least have AC with filters. 

Oh wherever I move, strong AC will be mandatory. 😆 

Have confirmed I will be in Seattle in late July. Right when the MJO will favoring a hot spell in the PNW. 😬 

• Shivering 1

22 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

But what is top 5 wet for August? 6 raindrops?

😀

Not even close.   SEA had 3.28 inches of rain in August 2015.    And over 6 inches in my area.    Most of that came on 3 different days spread out while the rest of the days were warm and sunny.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Have confirmed I will be in Seattle in late July. Right when the MJO will favoring a hot spell in the PNW. 😬 

I bet the wind patterns will favor smoke in our direction too

• Excited 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, TT-SEA said:

😀

Not even close.   SEA had 3.28 inches of rain in August 2015.    And over 6 inches in my area.    Most of that came on 3 different days spread out while the rest of the days was warm and sunny.    

Psh, sounds made up

• lol 1
  • Shivering 1

22 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

This would be pretty awesome 

12Z GEM was also a little west with the rain on Friday compared to its 00Z run.  

gem_mslp_pcpn_nwus_10.png

• Excited 1
  • Sick 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

18 minutes ago, ChrisAmunRA said:

Hottest Period of this Summer according to 1Weather. 

Screenshot_20230607-091730.png

By August 6th intraseasonal forcings should no longer favor heat in W-Canada/PNW, at least projected from the present state(s) as far as I can tell. Mid/late July is another story.

Biggest challenge at that range is timing/amplitude and rate/degree of meridional momentum exchange(s). But the above sounds like either persistence forecasting or a copy/paste job from some model or multimodel consensus, which isn’t how I’d go about forecasting in the LR.

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

😀

Not even close.   SEA had 3.28 inches of rain in August 2015.    And over 6 inches in my area.    Most of that came on 3 different days spread out while the rest of the days were warm and sunny.    

And a big windstorm at the end of the month! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Family in NY sending me photos that look downright apocalyptic. Streetlights coming on at solar noon.

Will post if I get permission.

Just now, Phil said:

Family in NY sending me photos that look downright apocalyptic. Streetlights coming on at solar noon.

Pretty sure you can post a pic of a streetlight without permission.  😀

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 2

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

I can tell you even the crazy hot summer of 2015 did have some meaningful rain events in July and August.    In fact I think August 2015 is in the top 5 wettest at SEA even though the majority of the month was hot and sunny.   There were 3 separate significant rain events in the Seattle area that month.  

I was at PAX during that End-of-August surprise (pretty sure it was end of August). It was windy and cool in DT Seattle, then by late afternoon the winds got wicked. It was the only time I have ever experienced a power outage in the heart of the city. After making my way through a darkened Convention Centre, I was stuck in traffic on I-5, having to take back roads through Briar to get to Bothell. There were so many trees that were brought down with a couple houses getting a pretty good crushing. When I finally made it to Bothell, power was still out, broken tree bits everywhere, and the sky went from windy and clear to torrential downpour. We didn't get power back until 2am the next day and had to deal with our parking garage flooding.

Easily a top 5 Seattle weather experience for me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Did they sell their Stampede place?

I kid, I kid.

Some photos from Philly are on par with September 2020 in Everett. The worst part of the experience was the weird gritty and humid feeling with temps only in the low 60s.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, iFred said:

Did they sell their Stampede place?

I kid, I kid.

Some photos from Philly are on par with September 2020 in Everett. The worst part of the experience was the weird gritty and humid feeling with temps only in the low 60s.

Haha, fair game is fair game.

Reading this brings on the gag reflex. Didn’t think I’d have to experience crap like this in what is typical a swampy rainforest climate, but alas.

That NY/PA plume is projected to plow through here tonight as winds turn N/NE. Hopefully it clears the area before BL streamflow goes calm tomorrow AM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Haha, fair game is fair game.

Reading this brings on the gag reflex. Didn’t think I’d have to experience crap like this in what is typical a swampy rainforest climate, but alas.

That NY/PA plume is projected to plow through here tonight as winds turn N/NE. Hopefully it clears the area before BL streamflow goes calm tomorrow AM.

I guess we will do a real meetup in Seattle when you're in town again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Excited 1

Unusual to see the ECMWF waffling more than the other models. Another big change over North America on the 12z run.

Something about this pattern progression is giving it a hard time. Not sure what exactly, though.

39 minutes ago, iFred said:

I guess we will do a real meetup in Seattle when you're in town again.

I’d be down.

1 hour ago, iFred said:

I was at PAX during that End-of-August surprise (pretty sure it was end of August). It was windy and cool in DT Seattle, then by late afternoon the winds got wicked. It was the only time I have ever experienced a power outage in the heart of the city. After making my way through a darkened Convention Centre, I was stuck in traffic on I-5, having to take back roads through Briar to get to Bothell. There were so many trees that were brought down with a couple houses getting a pretty good crushing. When I finally made it to Bothell, power was still out, broken tree bits everywhere, and the sky went from windy and clear to torrential downpour. We didn't get power back until 2am the next day and had to deal with our parking garage flooding.

Easily a top 5 Seattle weather experience for me.

We were over at Sun Lakes during the windstorm and was pissed I missed it (though amazing jetsking weather that day over there) Came home the next day to a war zone of trees and branches down along with patio furniture and BBQ thrown about all over the deck at our old place west of Smokey Point. Took nearly 3 days to get power back. 

• Windy 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Some sensors approaching 600μg/m^3 in PA/NJ. I suspect the deeper boundary layer is augmenting the problem because the source of this shit is 800+ miles away.

IMG_3948.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

image.png.2ba8ceecf5ea0b3c1432f5d87c9a2e43.png

Oh cool. I'll be there in a few hours. Interesting to see rain with 25% humidity.

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew
  • Excited 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

“East coast media bias” definitely evident though.

Barely a mention from some of these outlets while the West has been dealing with this crud for a decade, and now it’s front page news as if it’s something new. 🙄 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Already hit 80 here.  I was hoping to do the finishing touches on our deck this week (installing sunshades and putting together the table/chairs) but not in this heat.  It did at least cool down enough last night to warrant opening the windows after the sun went down (bottomed out at 51).

I am probably to blame for the dry weather, I tore up my grass and reseeded a few weeks ago counting on some June gloom to supplement watering.  I am very afraid to open my water bill this month.

Also, looks like Border Patrol fell down on the job and is letting Canadian smoke sneak across the border.  It hasn't made it to my house yet, but sounds like things are deteriorating Lynden north.

• Sad 2