June 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Washington or Oregon?

Hopefully Denver or Minneapolis. But Seattle or Boston are both possible too. Portland probably too warm and lacking in employment opportunities.

Has to be somewhere with a lower risk of heat stroke.

• Like 1

Hopefully Denver or Minneapolis. But Seattle or Boston are both possible too. Portland probably too warm and lacking in employment opportunities.

Nice Portland slam. Our summers would probably feel like heaven to you. And our winters are really no milder than Seattle’s.

Nah fam, Seattle has it where it counts, unlike Portland.

Meanwhile, it is 69 degrees and cloudy here.  :)

You forgot strangely out of place cursing along with an entirely inappropriate emoji.

4/10 on the luminen post grading scale.

Portland is generally cooler than Denver, Minneapolis, and Boston in the summer.  ;)

Winters are obviously a different story.

• Like 1

The West side of PDX Metro has a lot of high tech jobs and is growing. They call it the Silicon Forest and Intel is the biggest company out there. It has a huge factory out in Hillsboro and is always expanding. Plus if you live out near Hillsboro, you're closer to the Coast and only about a little more than an hours drive from nature's air conditioning which is the Oregon Coast. So if you ever wanted to escape the heat you are not that far away.

• Like 1

The West side of PDX Metro has a lot of high tech jobs and is growing. They call it the Silicon Forest and Intel is the biggest company out there. It has a huge factory out in Hillsboro and is always expanding. Plus if you live out near Hillsboro, you're closer to the Coast and only about a little more than an hours drive from nature's air conditioning which is the Oregon Coast. So if you ever wanted to escape the heat you are not that far away.

Phil will have a degree in everything so finding a job shouldn't be difficult anywhere.

• Like 2

Doesn't matter to me either way, but someone on here desperately needs the weekends to be nice.

For those of us with full time jobs from Monday-Friday... it is nice when the timing works out right. I guess if your whole life is just golfing every day then it does not matter.

Its just bad luck... hopefully the 4th of July weekend breaks the streak.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

B8C12E94-CCAB-4DD4-9C75-60377C05CD00.jpeg

E8F39FA3-E1E8-44FE-B98E-E1DC8E3A6062.jpeg

Excellent news for next winter. Flip to easterly QBO has failed and it looks to remain positive/westerly for the foreseeable future going into winter.

1949-50 was Niña/+QBO. 2008-09 was Niña/+QBO. 2016-17 was also a Niña/+QBO that should have been -QBO but the same thing happened. YES!

• Like 4

Nice Portland slam. Our summers would probably feel like heaven to you. And our winters are really no milder than Seattle’s.

I’ll have to look deeper into the climate there, I guess.

SnowSquall’s reference to a summer with 34 days at/above 90° the other day spooked me a little.

B8C12E94-CCAB-4DD4-9C75-60377C05CD00.jpeg

E8F39FA3-E1E8-44FE-B98E-E1DC8E3A6062.jpeg

Excellent news for next winter. Flip to easterly QBO has failed and it looks to remain positive/westerly for the foreseeable future going into winter.

1949-50 was Niña/+QBO. 2008-09 was Niña/+QBO. 2016-17 was also a Niña/+QBO that should have been -QBO but the same thing happened. YES!

Craziness. There’s research tying this development back to the SH SSW event last Fall, FWIW. Would be fascinating if true.

• Like 1

Bret Anderson new interpretation agree or disagree Phil and others?

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/clues-to-the-weather-pattern-into-mid-july/760611

Unfortunately (for me) that would indeed fit the low pass tropical forcing/IP-SM mode. The dateline/W-IPWP subsidence we’ve seen thus far is as “old school niña” as it gets..have to go back to the 1980s to find a good match.

Was doing some extrapolating today and it’s a complete disaster of a pattern from mid-July to mid-September east of the Rockies. The PNW is an island oasis of cooler than average. If there was to be a cool August in the PNW, this year would be the most likely to pull it off.

I’ll have to look deeper into the climate there, I guess.

SnowSquall’s reference to a summer with 34 days at/above 90° the other day spooked me a little.

I’m honestly pretty amazed you haven’t, considering you’ve spent the last decade on here talking about it. And being exposed to our endless conversation about it. Almost like there are large parts of your persona here that are essentially fabricated for dramatic purposes. ;)

I’m honestly pretty amazed you haven’t, considering you’ve spent the last decade on here talking about it. And being exposed to our endless conversation about it. Almost like there are large parts of your persona here that are essentially fabricated for dramatic purposes. ;)

Aaaand he’s off the deep end. Again.

I’m much more familiar with WA than OR. It’s not even remotely close.