August 2023 Weather in the PNW

Cascadia_Wx

Got down to 64 last night, back up to 68 as the sun peeks over the ridge to our east.  It was 74 at 1am.  Both today and yesterday had the A/C kick on while I was in the back yard with the dog while she did her business.  I'm used to it not kicking on until 11-12.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I'm surprised they have not done any water bans here this summer.  I think they did last year, and I know they did the last dry spell we had (which I don't think was as bad as this.)

Just to your north, Vancouver instituted Stage 2 water restrictions (no residential lawn watering, $500 fine if caught, gardens and non-residential lawns exempt) at the beginning of the month.

It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Fires blew up in BC last night.  Pretty much everywhere east of the crest is blanketed in smoke now. 

Looks bad in eastern WA as well.    Thankfully the models keep the smoke to the east the rest of this week.

COD-GOES-West-regional-w_northwest.truecolor.20230816.143618-over=map-bars=none.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

10 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

It would take an extremely dry year for Seattle to have water supply concerns. I’m not sure if it is possible. 

IMG_0735.jpeg

It's possible. Seattle had water rationing during one summer in the 1990's. Banned most outdoor watering, washing cars, etc. Assigned water usage quotas for service drops based on census data and fined those who used too much. Or at least threatened to. Compliance was very high and exceeded expectations.

22 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

It would take an extremely dry year for Seattle to have water supply concerns. I’m not sure if it is possible. 

IMG_0735.jpeg

WHY would you put that out in the universe?!?!?!?  Nothing like a bold statement like that to tempt mother nature to say "hold my beer"

5 hours ago, Tanis Leach said:

Newest Video: 

Tomorrow is the last video I'm doing, then the channel is back into hibernation until 4th Saturday in October, unless another significant weather event is happening, or I decide to not get lazy and upload a travel video.

Anyways: Technical Info:

One day out score for highs being only 3°F over 3 days is good for PDX (1°F per day). Unfortunately, my Corvallis performance isn't as good this time around (off 3, 5, 4°F off), and the lows, I've been consistently 2-3°F warmer in both places. Should have corrected that this time around. With the models increasing today's temperature, I re-increased the highs. Wild card is still smoke, and this assumes a thinning layer of smoke (thinner for Portland). Pretty simple forecast this time around all things considered.  

Are you going on a trip soon? What happens on the 4th Saturday in Oct? Pretty cool!

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

31 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It's possible. Seattle had water rationing during one summer in the 1990's. Banned most outdoor watering, washing cars, etc. Assigned water usage quotas for service drops based on census data and fined those who used too much. Or at least threatened to. Compliance was very high and exceeded expectations.

The amazing thing is that despite population growth, Seattle uses less water now than they did in the 1990s. 

2 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

PDX is running +3.2 over their all time warmest month which I believe is last august. 

Front loaded summer?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

Not much to complain about with these outputs after today and tomorrow. Guess there is one… would love to some and it seems we’ll have to wait until Sept. 

Feels like the 10 day precip map on the 00z op run is some kinda sick joke though. Pretty much says screw you W.Wa and a large part of W.OR 🤣

IMG_4411.png

This map is probably a best case scenario for the PNW, we're going to need to get really lucky for that much moisture to make it to the Oregon Cascades. Most likely the final moisture swath will be weaker and end up farther east. 

4 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It has to get smoky (or really hot in a way that it just hasn’t here yet) for me to fire up the A/C. So far, using fans to air the place out at night and closing up in the day has sufficed.

it was 100 yesterday and I don't have much shade in this new neighborhood.  house gets hot on 90+ days

36 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

it was 100 yesterday and I don't have much shade in this new neighborhood.  house gets hot on 90+ days

Yeah, I really benefit from being in a cooler climate. Mid/upper 80’s is much easier to cope with sans a/c than triple digits.

1 hour ago, the_convergence_zone said:

The amazing thing is that despite population growth, Seattle uses less water now than they did in the 1990s. 

Mandated low-flow toilets and shower heads, and washing machines that use less water than old ones probably helped a lot.

6 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Fun fact: in 1939, a tropical storm made landfall in Long Beach, CA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939_California_tropical_storm

Also Nora in September 1997... that went just east of San Diego but brought lots of rain to the San Diego area.   I experienced it firsthand and remember it well.  

fun fact, (or maybe not so fun) the Spokane area has one of highest per capita water consumption rates in the country.  Most people (HOA's, etc) insist on us keeping a green lawn. I'm hamstrung be this.  In the City of Spokane proper there are Level 3 restrictions due to low flow of the Spokane river. (watering only 2 days a week, 2 hour max) However out here in the county we are in an Irrigation district that uses aquifer wells and water is free unless you use an ungodly amount. (mostly agricultural accounts, golf courses etc)

5 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

06Z ECMWF continues to show beautiful weather for the weekend.    It looks troughy at the 500mb level but clouds are non-existent with full sun and temps in the mid to upper 70s.   

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-2489600.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-2489600.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-clouds_fourpanel-2489600.png

I don't understand the infatuation with "full sun" at this point.

A forum for the end of the world.

7 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I don't understand the infatuation with "full sun" at this point.

I am not starved for sun... that is for sure.   In this case its more a point that it will be a relatively cool day despite being sunny from the start as opposed to a day that takes until afternoon for the marine layer clouds to burn off.