January 11-13 Major Winter Storm/Blizzard

2 hours ago, Clinton said:

EAX AFD:

As we head into Friday, models continue to suggest another trough
digging into the Desert Southwest and ejecting across the south
central US. This will bring another chance for potentially
significant accumulating snowfall Friday into Friday night,
although at the moment the track seems to be a little further
south southeast compared to the tomorrow/Tuesday system.
Additionally, very cold temperatures are likely to arrive and
plunge us into what could be a prolonged period of subfreezing
temperatures. This is currently forecast to include single digit
to perhaps even subzero temperatures Friday night, Saturday night,
and Sunday night with well below zero wind chills.

Let’s make this happen!

• Like 1

Euro sliding a bit too far east for Iowa, but it's going big.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Not going to complain about another 3-6".

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Explosive deepening... around 2 mb/hr for a while.  Very impressive to get that rate of deepening over land.  

• Like 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Just for some idea of the rarity of what is being modeled, BOTH the 00z Euro and GFS would flirt with or break the all-time low pressure records in much of central/eastern IN.  Those records were established in the infamous January 1978 Cleveland superbomb, which was centered farther east and bottomed out in the 950s.  

Plenty of time to get a different ultimate outcome, but just pointing out for some context.

• Like 5

This one has my interest as my father, brother and his family are going to Holland, MI for a tournament this weekend.  If the models continue to trend towards a Blizzard, I doubt they go and it gets cancelled.  TBH, I'm a bit jelly if this storm ends ups going nuclear.  Tracking this storm from afar, I've never seen the models show such a deep low and vicious cold/wind for the lower lakes.  @Hoosier, your right about this powerhouse which could be a legendary JAN storm...like back in the late 70's! 

• Like 1
  • bongocat-test 1

27 minutes ago, Tom said:

This one has my interest as my father, brother and his family are going to Holland, MI for a tournament this weekend.  If the models continue to trend towards a Blizzard, I doubt they go and it gets cancelled.  TBH, I'm a bit jelly if this storm ends ups going nuclear.  Tracking this storm from afar, I've never seen the models show such a deep low and vicious cold/wind for the lower lakes.  @Hoosier, your right about this powerhouse which could be a legendary JAN storm...like back in the late 70's! 

Don't tease me...

• Like 2

This system has two problems that keep in from (probably) doing as much for areas further west and or south. One is that the existing lower heights to the east and insufficient SE ridge means it races east too quickly. This is further compounded by the rising heights along the west coast during this period. So that'll be an issue.

The other problem is that due to the cold trough ahead of it, moisture is limited. So it does eventually wrap up into a solid system, but it takes a while compared to what you might think given the low SLP. So my guess is it doesn't really get going until a little further east than the preceding systems. 

The only wild card would be if the low level cold can outrun model expectations and force a changeover to sleet or zr.  But even that seems less likely now that models are holding back a piece of the PV over southwest canada for longer. Since the cold is less consolidated it probably won't be as forceful to push in behind the system Friday and may linger a bit. In that sense, it's probably a lost cause down here too. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Risk for Iowa continues to be too much of an eastward slide.

• Like 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

• Hoosier changed the title to January 11-13 Major Winter Storm

12z GDPS slid a bit farther east, similar to the GFS.

• Like 1

Currently a bit turbulent. 
Rain, Wind 26mph, more on the way.  

Plenty of lightning.  Imagine if this was snow. This is acting like a typical Fall storm.  

1863CE9C-B58B-4940-B48B-670B5320767C.jpeg

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

58 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

Such a long duration event, can't catch the whole midwest/GL regions in just a 24 hour map, so again here is 48 hours.  Northern Missouri still favored.

image.thumb.png.38685af385a212cd5b8f6daeb9ab6888.png

Wonder what kind of ratios that is using.  Doesn't seem like 10:1 or Kuchera.  Storm is also ongoing for eastern areas at that time so yes it will be nice to get the current storm out of the way for snow map posting purposes.

4 hours ago, Tom said:

My wife is headed to Philly on Friday for a Hockey tournament and my buddy is headed to Holland for a hockey tournament this coming weekend.  I already informed them to try and book travel earlier if possible.