April 2024 Weather in the PNW

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Apparently one run is just as good as it happening!

You love acting like a big fat d***, don't ya? Its ironic that reality is quite the opposite down there for ya.

• Popcorn 2
  • scream 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

3 hours ago, GHweatherChris said:

MAGA MAGA

Please stop.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sun 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

7 hours ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Wow! The 00z GFS is something else! Dumps on the Oregon cascades, gives me 4" of snow, and is not warm by any means. We will be BUILDING the snowpack, rather than melting it in the coming weeks. I do not worry about Oregon having any water problems this year

It was very wet in 2022 through the 3rd week of June and we still ended up with drought and thick smoke for 2 months.

• Popcorn 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

43 currently, low of 16. Avg temp this month has been 38.4, which I would assume is running slightly cooler than avg but I can't find what our average is online.

47 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

43 currently, low of 16. Avg temp this month has been 38.4, which I would assume is running slightly cooler than avg but I can't find what our average is online.

Sunriver OR average

Screenshot_20240422-100327-316.png

• Facepalm 1

Eastside Tacoma/Salishan, WA. Elv 263ft

Family home in Spanaway, WA. Elv 413ft

☥𓂀✡️

14 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

[...]

This is what my looked like Saturday morning.  Never had the pollen this bad out here.

IMG_7837.thumb.jpg.1b1c71d1e0017ec9280ddbf210883163.jpg

Saturday was really bad for pollen. I normally don’t notice tree pollen that much, but I was pretty miserable from it on Saturday.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Starting look like a long term cold/rainy pattern.   Might be similar to 2010 only starting 3 weeks earlier.   

• Popcorn 1
  • Shivering 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

39 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Starting look like a long term cold/rainy pattern.   Might be similar to 2010 only starting 3 weeks earlier.   

So it’s over after tomorrow? Sad. 

• Thanks 1
  • Excited 1
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 minutes ago, MossMan said:

So it’s over after tomorrow? Sad. 

Indeed.    But we knew an extended rainy pattern was probably coming so lets just get it done!   I would love to continue with an alternating pattern with heavier rain during the stormy periods so we can get to normal precip but have some nice sunny days in between.   Sunny days (like today) might become non-existent for the next couple weeks at least.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Indeed.    But we knew an extended rainy pattern was probably coming so lets just get it done!   I would love to continue with an alternating pattern with heavier rain during the stormy periods so we can get to normal precip but have some nice sunny days in between.   Sunny days (like today) might become non-existent for the next couple weeks at least.  

That's the way it should be up there. Take back your cold, cloudy and damp climate that you used to have 9 months of the year. We don't need it down here in California. 

• lol 3

11 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

That's the way it should be up there. Take back your cold, cloudy and damp climate that you used to have 9 months of the year. We don't need it down here in California. 

Might be an entire west coast situation coming up.  Probably related to the final warming post above.   

ecmwf-aifs-all-namer-z500_anom-4672800 (1).png

• Snow 2
  • Sick 1

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Might be an entire west coast situation coming up.  Probably related to the final warming post above.   

It’s arising via a combination of the final warming/seasonal change, the MJO, and the decay of the niño base state. It’s never just one thing.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

So when will it transition into our brutally hot summer?

One year we had snow in Tahoe in mid June and then over 120 F in Palm Springs a week later.

A gradual transition period is nice. It's not very common today anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

1 minute ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

So when will it transition into our brutally hot summer?

One year we had snow in Tahoe in mid June and then over 120 F in Palm Springs a week later.

A gradual transition period is nice. It's not very common today anymore. 

it won't be gradual, one anecdotal thing i've observed recently, seasonal change seems to be delayed and one slams into the other. usually its heat/smoke season straight to cold and wet, but we've had recent years where June is brutally hot way ahead of normal too

• Excited 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, ChrisEl Elyon said:

Sunriver OR average

Screenshot_20240422-100327-316.png

These stats seem very flawed. I can 100% guarantee that my daily record today is cooler than 84 degrees, maybe it is using the bend airport for the stats..? It also says my avg low temp is 31, but my actual avg low today is in the mid/upper 20s.

And by "average temp this month", I meant average temp throughout the entire month, not the avg high and low of the day. My point was that the stat does not exist because there is no official and accurate station that has been keeping track of weather consistently for decades here in Sunriver, so I will never really know what our average April temp is. I assume it's probably around 39-42 degrees.

New product from NOAA. Suspect it will be referenced heavily this summer as the lower-48 spontaneously combusts.

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/heatrisk/

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • Sun 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Interesting parameter they use. For today they had PDX in the yellow which is minor risk. This will be fun to track this warm season.

IMG_3256.thumb.jpeg.9863f9ac7db7d08e0914a0d0cd9a2518.jpeg

Yeah basically it’s calculated with respect to each locations’ climatology (in addition to factors such as duration, diurnal cycle, and parameterization to extrapolate dewpoint, etc.

• Like 1

I’ve also heard that a heavier emphasis will be placed on WBGT (wet bulb globe temperature) w/rt heat headlines in the future. It is a better measure than heat index.

Thresholds will vary by region, of course. Criteria in SE US/Desert SW will be different than the PNW, for instance.

IMG_3565.png

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

For tomorrow the minor risk extends up into SEA.

IMG_3257.thumb.jpeg.6b185a07b71679764bc5dcaaf91ccd1b.jpeg

It was 61 at SEA today which is normal.    Dewpoint was in the 30s and there was decent north wind.   Probably felt a little chilly there.  Its show mid to upper 60s tomorrow.  If that qualifies for heat risk then the map will be bright red everywhere all summer.  😀

• Like 1
  • lol 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It was 61 at SEA today which is normal.    Dewpoint was in the 30s and there was decent north wind.   Probably felt a little chilly there.   If that qualifies for a heat risk then the map will be bright red everywhere all summer.  😀

2 months from now it wouldn’t, though. Climatology is factored in.

For instance, the first hot pattern of summer is often harder on the general population, since people aren’t acclimated yet.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

2 months from now it wouldn’t, though. Climatology is factored in.

For instance, the first hot pattern of summer is often harder on the general population, since people aren’t acclimated yet.

Seems silly.   60s with a low dewpoint is not stressful for anyone at any time.   People live in that temperature indoors all winter.   So when it gets to 45 in Minneapolis in February its a heat risk?   😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1