December 2014 Observations and Discussion

Tom

0z EURO pushes the warm air back even farther.

Still 850 MB temps around 0 at HR 192 (12/13) around ORD/MKE etc 

The vast snow cover across Canada is being ingested into the EURO model. The cold air is likely a bit deeper over the snow covered areas; for this point in the season, of the continent and other models have to take that into account. 

I think at some point before the 15th there is going to be an over-running event with every wintry precip. type somewhere in the Midwest.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

The vast snow cover across Canada is being ingested into the EURO model. The cold air is likely a bit deeper over the snow covered areas of the continent and other models have to take that into account. 

I think at some point before the 15th there is going to be an over-running event with every wintry precip. type somewhere in the Midwest.

i'm thinking that matter of time before the ao is going negative so that means the jet sream will buckle into the united states and also what is the state of the ao pna epo and wpo.

Nice lil trough setting up over the Lakes/East early next week.  Might get some surprise snowfall outta this.  Nice way to hype a warm up, right?  12z GFS turning colder next Tuesday with highs in the mid 20's I-80 on north.  Teleconnections/MJO working its magic for eastern CONUS mid/late next week.

BTW, yes its Fantasy Land BUT the GFS may be finally seeing the REAL pattern that is setting up here for mid/late next week and beyond.  Over the last 4 runs of the GFS, the model kept getting colder for the East, now it may be starting to sniff out the mid month pattern change into a consistent cold/stormy pattern.

• Like 1

Anyway, I think if the Euro comes in with a colder look in the extended from previous runs, you can write off any Hype about a blow torch for the Eastern CONUS by the 12th and beyond.

FWIW: 00z GGEM also showing more cold funneling into the eastern CONUS Day 8-10.

• Like 1

Anyway, I think if the Euro comes in with a colder look in the extended from previous runs, you can write off any Hype about a blow torch for the Eastern CONUS by the 12th and beyond.

FWIW: 00z GGEM also showing more cold funneling into the eastern CONUS Day 8-10.

this certinly beats tom skilling's forecast and cpc's too and about a blowtorch is hype and you can say goodbye to that.

My o my did the GFS flip flip 240hrs and out. Couldn't even believe what I was looking at after seeing blowtorch for so many model runs in a row. Hopefully-- it's not just "one run"

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

and what does it looks like for ne il.

The same. It hangs onto the cold much longer than previous runs. 

Here is the 12z on the 11th:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2014120512/gfs_T2m_us_27.png

Here is the 0z for the 11th:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2014120500/gfs_T2m_us_29.png

Ummm.  We are talking about what like 12 days from now.  It is impossible to say what is looks like for NE Illinois much less the midwest that far out.  

Good news is its starting to look like there could at least be a time frame to watch

Still plenty time for that buddy, the key point here to grasp from the 12z GFS run is a remarkable flip (or shall I say a "Predictable Flip") in the long range.  ONLY 1 run, and first run to show this from that model, but if it can pull consecutive runs today of something similar you can then start drawing ideas of what to look for down the road.

• Like 1

Still plenty time for that buddy, the key point here to grasp from the 12z GFS run is a remarkable flip (or shall I say a "Predictable Flip") in the long range.  ONLY 1 run, and first run to show this from that model, but if it can pull consecutive runs today of something similar you can then start drawing ideas of what to look for down the road.

Yup. Euro tried to form some sort of cutter on the 14th-15th as well last night. We'll see if that happens.

Yup. Euro tried to form some sort of cutter on the 14th-15th as well last night. We'll see if that happens.

I bet 50-70% of this forum was sweating each model run and thinking torch, torch, torch.  I know neither you or I was.  Anyhow, I think its a good trend to see so far today.  I'd like to see what the 12z Euro is showing.

I also remember last year whenever the models showed a warm stretch, it ended up fading away as we got closer. 

Exactly, and you can thank the warm NE Pacific waters for that.  Once those warm waters disappear, it won't get as easy to predict these trends in the future.  I think late next year we may see the +PDO start fading.  Although, that's another conversation at a later time.

The same. It hangs onto the cold much longer than previous runs. 

Here is the 12z on the 11th:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2014120512/gfs_T2m_us_27.png

Here is the 0z for the 11th:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2014120500/gfs_T2m_us_29.png

If EURO comes anywhere close to these changes then it looks like we will be heading into a pattern change. Also pacific jet gets going in earnest next week and models are picking up on it.

• Like 1

If EURO comes anywhere close to these changes then it looks like we will be heading into a pattern change. Also pacific jet gets going in earnest next week and models are picking up on it.

Some hyper activity is setting up over the Pacific and all you need is for these systems to cross the Rockies and explode over the central CONUS.

we've had a full week of above average temps shown on all of the models and we get one run of snow and immediately we're "hyping" up the cold. if you look back at the previous posts, there were several runs of a snowstorm from the 3rd-5th of December followed by highs not above 20 and some people were all over that saying, "that makes sense" according to this or that, and look how that turned out. no snowstorm or extreme cold.

also, people see above average and all the red on the map indicating the CHANCES of above average temps and people attach blow torch to those maps. those maps aren't temp maps, they're probability maps. it can be .5 degree above normal and that map verified.

i guess we'll just have to wait and see what mother nature decides to do. my money at least here in Nebraska is on above normal temps(not a blow torch) for the next 10 days

we've had a full week of above average temps shown on all of the models and we get one run of snow and immediately we're "hyping" up the cold. if you look back at the previous posts, there were several runs of a snowstorm from the 3rd-5th of December followed by highs not above 20 and some people were all over that saying, "that makes sense" according to this or that, and look how that turned out. no snowstorm or extreme cold.

also, people see above average and all the red on the map indicating the CHANCES of above average temps and people attach blow torch to those maps. those maps aren't temp maps, they're probability maps. it can be .5 degree above normal and that map verified.

i guess we'll just have to wait and see what mother nature decides to do. my money at least here in Nebraska is on above normal temps(not a blow torch) for the next 10 days

I guess you can say some were saying Winter's never coming back this month which is non sense.  I personally did think we would see more blocking by now according to the LRC but it hasn't showed up.  Back in late October there was a lot of blocking and if you utilize the 42-43 LRC cycle, I made that prediction.  Even back then in October, the Plains were much warmer than the Midwest/Lakes region.  

Temps were being forecast to be 10-15F above normal on both the EURO/GFS/GGEM for late next week around our region and that clearly just doesn't fit the overall pattern.  Hense the reasoning behind my posts yesterday that this shouldn't happen.  Today may be the start of a trend in the models to back off the warmth hype.

• Like 1

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.pngtrying to switch from positve to negative also look at the enso region.http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/cdas-sflux_ssta7diff_global_1.png

Nice maps Tim!  Look at that warming trend in the NE Pacific, cooling near the Bearing Sea and from Cali south to Baja.  That to me says "Winter Lovers Dream"....

I guess you can say some were saying Winter's never coming back this month which is non sense.  I personally did think we would see more blocking by now according to the LRC but it hasn't showed up.  Back in late October there was a lot of blocking and if you utilize the 42-43 LRC cycle, I made that prediction.  Even back then in October, the Plains were much warmer than the Midwest/Lakes region.  

Temps were being forecast to be 10-15F above normal on both the EURO/GFS/GGEM for late next week around our region and that clearly just doesn't fit the overall pattern.  Hense the reasoning behind my posts yesterday that this shouldn't happen.  Today may be the start of a trend in the models to back off the warmth hype.

this sounds like the models is cha

nging it's tune in favor colder pattren instead of a warmer pattren with a blowtorch with it too.

It's not "one" run. You can clearly see the trends on the EURO with it trending colder each run.

Here is the last 3 runs of the EURO (0z) (oldest of the 3 on the top)

HR 216 (0z DEC 3)

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2014120300/ecmwf_T850_us_10.png

HR 192 (0z DEC 4)

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2014120400/ecmwf_T850_us_9.png

HR 168 (0z DEC 5th)

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2014120500/ecmwf_T850_us_8.png

Notice any difference?

Oh, and:

0z HR 240 (DEC 4th)

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2014120400/ecmwf_T850_us_11.png

0z HR 216 (DEC 5th)

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2014120500/ecmwf_T850_us_10.png

As we get closer to the events, the models have trended colder. That's a fact, and Tom has pointed out why that is numerous times and not to believe in the warmth that they were showing in the long range.