December 2014 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Cold and dry- sounds familiar!!

NOVEMBER WAS COOLER AND DRIER THAN NORMAL IN OMAHA...THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER WAS CHARACTERIZED BY A WARM START AND A VERYCOLD MIDDLE...WITH TEMPERATURE SWINGS TO FINISH THE MONTH.  THEMONTHLY AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 34.0 DEGREES WAS 5.0 DEGREES BELOWNORMAL AND THE 16TH COLDEST ON RECORD.  THE TOTAL PRECIPITATION OF0.22 INCHES WAS 1.42 INCHES BELOW NORMAL AND THE 22ND DRIEST ONRECORD...AND THE MONTHLY TOTAL SNOWFALL OF 2.4 INCHES WAS 0.1 INCHESBELOW NORMAL...THOUGH IT WAS THE HIGHEST NOVEMBER SNOW TOTAL SINCE2010.

Honestly, I'm beyond happy with rain right now. It'd help moisten up the ground here and hopefully boast more systems potency out here rather than having our more recent "dry systems" that we've unfortunately been dealing with recently. The more precip, the better. I'd rather have rain now than later in the month as well, so bring it.

Honestly, I'm beyond happy with rain right now. It'd help moisten up the ground here and hopefully boast more systems potency out here rather than having our more recent "dry systems" that we've unfortunately been dealing with recently. The more precip, the better. I'd rather have rain now than later in the month as well, so bring it.

We're doing fine for ground moisture. Sure it was dry in November, but we're nowhere near any kind of drought.

• Like 1

Stunning pattern about-face predicted in coming weeks; scope of predicted warming quite dramatic

by Tom Skilling Today at 1

That says it all. Skilling is not known for hyperbole

I wonder why...he is going off of the 06z GFS run!  He did this before in mid November and spoke about a pattern change that never came the week before Thanksgiving.

The 12z parallel GFS has added a pretty cold shot of air early next week, in contrast to previous runs.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

California is getting beneficial rains which is good news for their current drought and fires. Now, usually when California gets heavy rains this time of the year, to me that means an El Nino possibly forming??!!! Hope not. I was listening to my local radio station this morning and he was talking about a possible major warming trend by mid month where temps could be flirting with record territory. ( 60s!! much warmer south.) He also said that we might be looking at a 1982-83 winter, where that year was a disaster for any snowlovers out there. :o

I believe that the we will get some arctic intrusions this winter, but nothing like last year and snowfall will be at or below normal.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

I wonder why...he is going off of the 06z GFS run!  He did this before in mid November and spoke about a pattern change that never came the week before Thanksgiving.

Did he state somewhere that he is using ONE run of ONE model to make his prediction? I seriously doubt Skilling would do that. If so, he shouldn't have a job on a big news station....

Did he state somewhere that he is using ONE run of ONE model to make his prediction? I seriously doubt Skilling would do that. If so, he shouldn't have a job on a big news station....

After I read the full article, he did mention the Canadian and Euro models as well.  The map he posted was the 06z GFS run showing the warmth over North America.

I dunno, but I think the models are going through mayhem with the SOI crashing, SSW event occuring and the growing El Nino. which has warmed to +1.0C in the ENSO 3.4 region.

The calling for cryptic cold may have been a little premature

Premature...ehh, maybe not.  Utilizing many of the accurate long range forecasting precursors suggest arctic cold is on the horizon.  What may be offsetting that is the ENSO 1.2 region that is still warm.

• Like 1

Or maybe, just maybe it's not going to be that cold!!! It's like the thinking here sometimes is if the models show cold and snowy, they are correct. If the models show warm weather, they are wrong. I know computer models are just model forecasts and the further out you get the more incorrect they can be and there are factors out there that the models don't look at. But the models and Tom Skilling for that matter(as far as I know) aren't winter weather nuts and don't have their forecasts sometimes skewed by their love of cold and snow :rolleyes:  

So what's your call for this month? 

It's a tough one, but if it is going to be purely analog based I'd say the first 15 days will average slightly above normal, then the back half of December will turn much colder and snowy.  However, if I'd use the other forecasting techniques then sometime around the 8th a colder/stormier pattern will evolve and that would last through the end of the month.

My personal feeling is that the models have been having a warm bias this season..sorta like last year.  Even though last year, the Pacific had a different SST arrangement.  If I were to make a call at this moment, the models will start showing more of an eastern trough around the 8th and beyond.

When you get that much warming to happen in the arctic regions it is a signal not to avoid.  We saw it back in late October and we all know how November turned out.  It's a pattern that will happen repeatedly this season.

• Like 1

Or maybe, just maybe it's not going to be that cold!!! It's like the thinking here sometimes is if the models show cold and snowy, they are correct. If the models show warm weather, they are wrong. I know computer models are just model forecasts and the further out you get the more incorrect they can be and there are factors out there that the models don't look at. But the models and Tom Skilling for that matter(as far as I know) aren't winter weather nuts and don't have their forecasts sometimes skewed by their love of cold and snow :rolleyes:  

Maybe my cold bias behavior is coming into play, however, the overall pattern that we have endured in the past 2 months suggest the cold and snowy pattern to continue.  Sure we are experiencing a relaxed tranquil period, but its only "normal" to have nature reload the pattern and the temps near the Lakes/Midwest are still below normal today thru Thursday!  I know the Plains are much warmer than our region and your area is just not in a geographically prime location to see sustained cold/snow as the mountains can play a big role with down sloping winds.

Regarding Skilling, I think he likes the extreme weather patterns and doesn't mind the snow and cold.  Maybe last winter has gotten to him a bit but overall I find he enjoys winter weather.

• Like 1

I remember back in November, I posted comparable maps of the GFS 2m temp's being forecasted for Dec 1st from 5 days out and 10 days out.  It showed a clear trend of a colder pattern as we got closer towards Dec 1st.  How did the temps turn out for Dec 1st????  Complete opposite from the Plains to the Lakes than what the GFS was showing.  It had a torch for our regions.  I think people on here forget that model's bias to quickly and jump on the "warmth" train to fast.  

Meanwhile, I'm here in AZ enjoying the 70's over the past 5 days and expecting to come back home sometime early next week.

• Like 1

When there's impressive positive departures showing up in northern Canada you know it's going to be warm. Really pretty simple. Very el nino looking. I'm guessing at least half of December stays mild if not longer. This winter will definitely be a step down from last year but that's to be expected.

Believe it or not, I still have that harsh winter from last year inside me, so the break we are getting now, if you will, is a nice treat. My average high is 38F and average low is 27F and my expected highs and lows are right on the spot. So, its seasonably cold for my area. This kind of weather is a given in putting up the Christmas lights, going shopping, building a home and etc.

Waking up last year in -10 to -15F or colder with feet of snow piles was a real pain in the neck. Everything was covered in snow for months. I had almost forgotten what grass looked like. The trees were bare even into May with winter not letting go. Flurries were flying on the 4th of May last year. The lakes had ice right into July. Incredible, just incredible.  Hardly catching a break. Yes, the endless Winter of 2013-14 will be remembered for a long time to come. :D

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-322-0-54045400-1417539680.png

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-322-0-01506300-1417539682.png

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-322-0-50825200-1417539683.png