June 2018 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Happy Monday all!  Back on the grind this week for what will be a busy work week for me, as well as, an active weather pattern for many of us on here.  Starting to see some model consistency that an I-80 magnet for training storms on either side of this imaginary divide through this entire week from NE to IL.

00z GGEM...

gem_apcpn_ncus_28.png

00z GFS...

gfs_apcpn_ncus_28.png

00z Euro showing something similar, however, across NE the jackpot is just north of OMA.  We shall see how this pattern delivers but I'm pretty confident there will be some good doses of precip for those who are in need of moisture.

On the other hand, this current heat wave has been hot and humid, but it hasn't technically been as hot as the one we had back in May.  ORD topped out in the low 90's the past couple days and it will again do the same today.  I think the wetter soils kept temps from peaking into the upper 90's that were in the forecast a few days ago.  Places north of here in MN/WI had storms nearby that kept the heat in check as well.  Overall, I think it wasn't as bad as the hype has been.  How would you rate this heat wave in your back yard???

• Like 1

Happy Monday all! Back on the grind this week for what will be a busy work week for me,as well as, an active weather pattern for many of us on here. Starting to see some model consistency that an I-80 magnet for training storms on either side of this imaginary divide through this entire week from NE to IL.

00z GGEM...

gem_apcpn_ncus_28.png

00z GFS...

gfs_apcpn_ncus_28.png

00z Euro showing something similar, however, across NE the jackpot is just north of OMA. We shall see how this pattern delivers but I'm pretty confident there will be some good doses of precip for those who are in need of moisture.

On the other hand, this current heat wave has been hot and humid, but it hasn't technically been as hot as the one we had back in May. ORD topped out in the low 90's the past couple days and it will again do the same today. I think the wetter soils kept temps from peaking into the upper 90's that were in the forecast a few days ago. Places north of here in MN/WI had storms nearby that kept the heat in check as well. Overall, I think it wasn't as bad as the hype has been. How would you rate this heat wave in your back yard???

Our heat wave had a strong wind and lower humidity so it was bearable. This morning is very humid. My 6th grade son went to open gym basketball this morning at our high school ( gym not air conditioned) and he looked like he had just showered. Local forecasts calling for heavy rainfall this week and much cooler temperatures.

• Like 3

I'm headed back to Lincoln today. I'm glad I spent the entire heat wave in Fargo. The "heat wave" here was Thursday and Friday, it only got up to the mid-80s both days, although Friday was admittedly muggy with a dew point near 70°F. Saturday and Sunday, the biggest heat wave days across much of the Midwest, were only the middle 70s here. I'm excited to come back in the winter!

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Our heat wave had a strong wind and lower humidity so it was bearable. This morning is very humid. My 6th grade son went to open gym basketball this morning at our high school ( gym not air conditioned) and he looked like he had just showered. Local forecasts calling for heavy rainfall this week and much cooler temperatures.

Ya, the big difference with this 2nd heat wave is the humidity but high temps have not been exceeding the 1st one back in May.  Good luck on the forecasted heavy rainfall this week!

• Like 1

Happy Monday all!  Back on the grind this week for what will be a busy work week for me, as well as, an active weather pattern for many of us on here.  Starting to see some model consistency that an I-80 magnet for training storms on either side of this imaginary divide through this entire week from NE to IL.

00z GGEM...

gem_apcpn_ncus_28.png

00z GFS...

gfs_apcpn_ncus_28.png

00z Euro showing something similar, however, across NE the jackpot is just north of OMA.  We shall see how this pattern delivers but I'm pretty confident there will be some good doses of precip for those who are in need of moisture.

On the other hand, this current heat wave has been hot and humid, but it hasn't technically been as hot as the one we had back in May.  ORD topped out in the low 90's the past couple days and it will again do the same today.  I think the wetter soils kept temps from peaking into the upper 90's that were in the forecast a few days ago.  Places north of here in MN/WI had storms nearby that kept the heat in check as well.  Overall, I think it wasn't as bad as the hype has been.  How would you rate this heat wave in your back yard???

I also didn't find that this heatwave was all that unbearable like many made it out to be. I worked in my yard for several hours on Saturday and Sunday, and sure it was a sweaty, hot job, it wasn't unbearable and I was able to get everything I needed done over the weekend. The steady winds and lower relative humidity (versus what it will be like once the corn starts expelling moisture around here in late July/August) helped make the upper 90's temperatures a little more easy to take, in my opinion. 

People around here complain about the heat so much, it drives me crazy. I am not a huge fan of heatwaves, however I will take them over arctic cold shots any day. During the summer you can still get outdoors, while during the winter during arctic outbreaks it hurts to go outside for five seconds. Many here will disagree with this thinking, however I love sitting on my patio on a warm summer night, listening to the bugs chirp, while drinking a cold adult beverage. You can't do that in the winter without being miserable and freezing within a few minutes. Okay, rant over haha!  

Now I am looking forward to a much cooler and rainy week ahead, most of the models are showing anywhere from 3 to 5 inches of rain for my backyard this week. If we even get half of that, I will be one happy camper! 

• Like 2

I also didn't find that this heatwave was all that unbearable like many made it out to be. I worked in my yard for several hours on Saturday and Sunday, and sure it was a sweaty, hot job, it wasn't unbearable and I was able to get everything I needed done over the weekend. The steady winds and lower relative humidity (versus what it will be like once the corn starts expelling moisture around here in late July/August) helped make the upper 90's temperatures a little more easy to take, in my opinion. 

People around here complain about the heat so much, it drives me crazy. I am not a huge fan of heatwaves, however I will take them over arctic cold shots any day. During the summer you can still get outdoors, while during the Winter during the arctic outbreaks it sometimes hurts to go outside for five seconds. Many here will disagree with this thinking, however I love sitting on my patio on a warm summer night, listening to the bugs chirp, while drinking a cold adult beverage. You can't do that in the winter without being miserable and freezing within a few minutes. Okay, rant over haha!  

Now I am looking forward to a much cooler and rainy week ahead, most of the models are showing anywhere from 3 to 5 inches of rain for my backyard this week. If we even get half of that, I will be one happy camper! 

I agree with you 1000% on heat vs cold :D If it could snow all the time at 30 degrees, I'd take that in a second. Otherwise give me spring/summer weather all the time!

• Like 2

00z GGEM...

gem_apcpn_ncus_28.png

00z GFS...

gfs_apcpn_ncus_28.png

Not sure how we escaped in Marshall, but per the ASOS metar data we only briefly hit 95F as our worst Heat Index. The May event was worse in both extremes and duration around my place. Yeah, humidity was a bit higher but we've seen worse. This morning's LOW of 78F was prolly the most noteworthy feature of this one. Now let's get back to #puremichigan summer conditions.. http://www.uswxforums.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Not sure how we escaped in Marshall, but per the ASOS metar data we only briefly hit 95F as our worst Heat Index. The May event was worse in both extremes and duration around my place. Yeah, humidity was a bit higher but we've seen worse. This morning's LOW of 78F was prolly the most noteworthy feature of this one. Now let's get back to #puremichigan summer conditions.. http://www.uswxforums.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

I 2nd that and feel we will be enjoying some real bonus weather around these parts after this wetter period.

• Like 1

People around here complain about the heat so much, it drives me crazy. I am not a huge fan of heatwaves, however I will take them over arctic cold shots any day. During the summer you can still get outdoors, while during the winter during arctic outbreaks it hurts to go outside for five seconds. Many here will disagree with this thinking, however I love sitting on my patio on a warm summer night, listening to the bugs chirp, while drinking a cold adult beverage. You can't do that in the winter without being miserable and freezing within a few minutes. Okay, rant over haha!  

But there's something special about huddling around an open fire seeing how many levels of pain you will endure as your frost-bitten fingers and toes slowly thaw..ahhh, the joys of deep winter  :lol:

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

But there's something special about huddling around an open fire seeing how many levels of pain you will endure as your frost-bitten fingers and toes slowly thaw..ahhh, the joys of deep winter :lol:

My favorite part of Winter is seeing the fresh snowfall at my apartment complex before it gets littered with footsteps and dog pee.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I hate both of your opinions. Negatives all the way. Record heat? Bring on the record cold :D

Hahaha, trust me I used to love the cold and snow when I was in my 20's. Now that I am a few years short of turning 40, I have found that I prefer warmer/summer weather to the winters around here. I love living here with the seasonal changes and getting both sides of coin weather-wise, however part of me is looking at someday wanting to move my family closer to the "Sun Belt" states.

Part of what contributes to this thinking, is that our winters here lately have been cold with generally little precipitation. I absolutely love good snowstorms, however around here those have been very few and far between the last 5-7 years. 

• Like 1

Wasnt bad here. Typical summer heat. 100-105 HI happens every summer. And it was breezy so that helped.

The constant breeze is what made this last heatwave bearable... even though the humidity levels were a touch higher and the nighttime lows were a lot  higher than what we experienced in May (the coolest nighttime low in Omaha this weekend was 77 degrees, vs. in the low-mid 60's during the May heatwave)... I think most of us have acclimated well to the warmer temperatures versus the cooler weather that proceeded the May heatwave, where this last heat wave wasn't such a shock to the system. 

I say this as the AC has been running nearly constantly the last 5 days, and thankfully I don't have to work outside in the elements. I am sure if I didn't have access to AC or worked outside, I might not say the same LOL. 

• Like 1

Some scattered storms around my vicinity, otherwise, a partly cloudy, humid, hazy sky w temps in the upper 80s.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Quick downpour currently IMBY. No thunder or lightning being reported.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

These storms might cause chaos this week with the College World Series in town. This afternoon’s game is been delayed obviously; last night they had a delay also.

Yeah two straight days with 3+ hour rain delays during the day games. Looks like there will be a nice break this evening to finish the first game. Tomorrow looks even worse for baseball around here. Bad timing for this deluge from Mother Nature, however we do badly need the moisture.

• Like 1

Ahhh, outflow boundary is coming through here...good bye heat and humidity....

Today actually ended up being the worst heat with an index of 97F so I'm ready for the looming fropa!

The CAMs are showing the storms fairly bubbly around here tonight, with some spots getting heavy downpours and a few spots maybe getting unlucky.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Radar is finally starting to light up around here. Lots of storms forming to the west. I hope that we can get at least some daytime thunderstorms during this active pattern we are in.

Daytime storms?  What the heck are those?  :P

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Had 2.05” of rain at my house from the storms this afternoon. I was out chasing so wasn’t home for it, but I believe most of that fell in less than an hour here.

It did. I was in or near Omaha during most of it and it was torrential. That combined with rush hour traffic made the drive a royal pain in the a**. I couldn't even see 10 feet ahead of me at times.

• Like 1

The CAMs are showing the storms fairly bubbly around here tonight, with some spots getting heavy downpours and a few spots maybe getting unlucky.

Well, round one was largely a dud here.  A line of cells expanded as it approached CR, but it mostly bubbled right past us.  The next several hours look dry.   :(