Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

August 2018 Observations and Discussion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Bryan1117

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:18 PM

Bryan1117

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

OAX is awful. Golf ball sized hail was JUST reported and yet they issued an SPS for "nickel sized hail" for here. Radar is showing a pretty mean hail core still.

But of course the core is moving away from us. Can't get nothing in SE Lincoln.

EDIT: Okay I criticized OAX too soon. The storm did weaken soon after they didn't continue the warning. Don't know how they managed to catch it before it weakened but good on them.

Yeah that storm cell seemed to fall apart right after it moved through York. Can't get anything good going here in the Omaha area either... everything that moves in from the west just falls apart as it approaches the river. Through all of the light rain showers remaining from the earlier storms that have weakened we have picked up just under .10 of rain here all evening long.

Another underwhelming night of weather around here... last night the good stuff was one county north, tonight its been one county south, can't win. 

LNK_Weather

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:47 PM

LNK_Weather

Apparently my posts are garbage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3608 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE (The Shaft City)

Yeah that storm cell seemed to fall apart right after it moved through York. Can't get anything good going here in the Omaha area either... everything that moves in from the west just falls apart as it approaches the river. Through all of the light rain showers remaining from the earlier storms that have weakened we have picked up just under .10 of rain here all evening long.

Another underwhelming night of weather around here... last night the good stuff was one county north, tonight its been one county south, can't win. 

We're being circumvented in every way imaginable. It gets a bit annoying after the 100th time. Seems like you are too. 

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2018-2019: 10/14 (3.5"), 11/17 (2.6")

Total Snowfall for 2018-2019 @ KLNK: 7.1"             Coldest Low: 7*F

First flake of the season: 10/14/2018 @ 7:01 AM CDT       

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2018 Severe Weather Season Statistics for my apartment:

Tornado Watches: 2 (Last: 6/11/2018)

Tornado Warnings: 0 (Last: 5/9/2016)

Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 6 (Last: 9/20/2018)

Severe Thunderstorm Warnings: 5 (Last: 9/20/2018)

SPC Day 1 High Risks: 0 (Last: 6/5/2008)

SPC Day 1 Moderate Risks: 1 (Last: 6/1/2018)

SPC Day 1 Enhanced Risks: 3 (Last: 6/30/2018)

SPC Day 1 Slight Risks: 9 (Last: 9/20/2018)

OKwx2k4

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:22 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

After looking at this graphic, the big busts by literally all the models last week certainly was very odd.

Dj4saD5U0AACwvo.jpg

Yeah. To say they had no clue whatsoever is an absolute understatement. Weird week for wx models for sure.

To respond to your other post above, I think you're spot on. That pattern over the Bering Sea is absolutely perfect. I think some Autumn in the last few days of the month (if not sooner) is looking more and more like a lock.

Tom

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:57 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17293 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

I was pretty lucky to score some decent rainfall yesterday while most of the area missed out on any appreciable moisture.  The storms that did fire up, blossomed E/SE of the area which was my fear.  Hopefully today's action fills in some of the gaps.

In other news, I believe some seasonal outlooks come out today; the IRII & NMME.

Niko

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:20 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5350 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Mostly cloudy and muggy w scattered storms throughout the day expected and temps in the 80s. A strong line of storms went to my south yesterday. Too bad! :wacko:

westMJim

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:28 AM

westMJim

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1190 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, mi

The total amount of rain yesterday here at my house was 0.38" not a whole lot but today I see some of the grass and the weeds for sure are showing some life. I have not had to cut the grass for over a month now but might have to give it a trim later this week.

In looking ahead the weather for west Michigan sure looks great for the next 6 to 8 days with highs in the lower 80’s and lows in the low to mid 60’s that is what I call great summer time weather. Pure Michigan at its best,

• Tom and jaster220 like this

CentralNebWeather

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:00 AM

CentralNebWeather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE
We started high school football practices in Nebraska yesterday. It rained 3 different times during the day. Out practice field has some standing water in the lower spots. Cloudy but humid weather made everyone sweat. High dews continue for the foreseeable future. School officially starts 1 week from today. I say it every year but maybe more so after this very humid summer, I can’t wait for fall weather.
  • jaster220 likes this

Iowawx

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:59 AM

Iowawx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Iowa
I got 0.16 inches of rain from this mornings rain. This makes my total rainfall since Sunday is now 2.31 inches. Still may add more with storms forming later today.

jaster220

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:48 AM

jaster220

St. Joseph Lighthouse January 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5198 posts
  • LocationKRMY (Marshall, MI) KJXN (work)

Guess my 2/3" of rainfall yesterday was a fairly good haul and I'm glad for it.  :)

• Niko likes this

BrianJK

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:45 AM

BrianJK

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationElmhurst, IL
Well, let’s see if this complex of storms will find a way to miss me again. Time will tell...

gabel23

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:57 AM

gabel23

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • LocationShelby, NE
Ended up with 1.3” of rain last night and thankfully the severe weather stayed off to my south and west. There were reports of fields that were completely stripped because of large hail and a storm went to tornado warned just one county to my west. I couldn’t get out in front of the storm in time so I snapped a couple of pictures of the supercell from a long distance away. The inflow tail of the storm was huge! You can somewhat see in the first pic looking from the bottom left to right. It was one of the longest ones I have ever seen! I continue to get so lucky on catching some very timely rains as it looks like we turn warm and dry for the foreseeable future.

Attached Files

• Tom and Hawkeye like this

gabel23

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:59 AM

gabel23

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • LocationShelby, NE
Not my picture but here is an upclose look of the supercell as it approached Utica, Ne.

Attached Files

• Tom, jaster220 and LNK_Weather like this

Tom

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:57 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17293 posts

Well, let’s see if this complex of storms will find a way to miss me again. Time will tell...

I was just driving on the 90 heading east from Barrington towards Arlington Hts and it was pouring rain. Flash Flood Advisory just issued! Nice way for nature to fill in the gaps today, ay?

BrianJK

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:07 PM

BrianJK

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationElmhurst, IL

I was just driving on the 90 heading east from Barrington towards Arlington Hts and it was pouring rain. Flash Flood Advisory just issued! Nice way for nature to fill in the gaps today, ay?

Ha - was just about to post that a flash flood warning has been issued. That’s about right though. We’ve either had torrential flooding rains or bone dry. Can’t complain though as we really needed the moisture.
  • Tom likes this

Tom

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:32 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17293 posts

Ha - was just about to post that a flash flood warning has been issued. That’s about right though. We’ve either had torrential flooding rains or bone dry. Can’t complain though as we really needed the moisture.

When it rains, it pours!  ORD just tacked on 2.18" of rain which is a record for the day.  Very impressive.  The 12z run of the high rez NAM did a good job with placement of this heavy rain band across N IL.

• jaster220 likes this

Tom

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:39 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17293 posts

This should green up things in a hurry...I'm hearing of many viaducts flooded in the city during the rush hour.

DkCAR0xX4AE1Oc7.jpg

Illinois_WX

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:28 PM

Illinois_WX

Nebraskan Living In Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL (Uptown)
[quote name="Tom" post="359713" timestamp="1533681594"]

This should green up things in a hurry...I'm hearing of many viaducts flooded in the city during the rush hour.

THANK. THE. LORD. It was getting dry as f around here, and now there’s lakes under bridges and ponding on the streets. Love it! Gosh did we ever need it too!
  • Tom and jaster220 like this

LINCOLN NEBRASKA SNOW TOTALS:

13-14 : 0"

14-15: 0"

15-16" : 0"

16-17 : 0"

17-18 : Probably 10", so in other words, 0" ​ 5.5"

# of times it was too warm and ended up being 33 and rain during these years : 20

# of times the storm essentially turned into dust: 25

# of times the storm looked at Nebraska and was like "yeah, good joke" , then ran to Chicago: 50

Niko

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:32 PM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5350 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Partly sunny n very humid. Temps in the 80s. No storms.

Tom

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:07 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17293 posts

[quote name="Tom" post="359713" timestamp="1533681594"]

THANK. THE. LORD. It was getting dry as f around here, and now there’s lakes under bridges and ponding on the streets. Love it! Gosh did we ever need it too!

Agree!  It's wonderful what a bit of intense rainfall can do during what has been a rather dry period.

Hawkeye

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:42 PM

Hawkeye

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, IA

A round of light to moderate rain this morning and a nice downpour this evening totaled 0.34" here, putting my 2-day total at a solid 1.66".  We should be good for the next week as the dry pattern returns.

season snowfall: 0.0"

'17-18: 39.5"      '16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Tom

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:28 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17293 posts

Finally tally at ORD (2.36") of beneficial precip and prob not the last this week.  I'm glad the pattern is turning a little more active around here.  The next chance of storms comes Thu pm as a weak CF pushes in from the north.  I actually see this set up producing a repeat scenario as we saw yesterday.  Slow moving front, abundant moisture along with heat/humidity.

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_41.png

Tom

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:12 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17293 posts

One interesting stat that I saw from the tropical downpours last night, at ORD, 0.68" of rain fell in 8 minutes!  That equates to 5"/hr...that is some epic stuff.

• jaster220 likes this

Tom

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:55 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17293 posts

After analyzing the overnight data, I spotted something fascinating about the weather pattern evolving across the N PAC.  If you take a look at the current state of the SST's, one can see a "road map" where storm systems near the East Asian coast, literally track into the Bearing Sea while being diverted northward due to the warm blob growing in the NE PAC.

anomnight.8.6.2018.gif

Here's an MSLP animation off the 00z GEFS showing 3 systems over the next 10 days that track right across the area in the N PAC where you can see the "cold" stripe of waters extending from the Bearing Straits, west into the Sea of Okhotsk.

With that being said, these 3 systems, IMO, will initially begin to show some early indications of Autumn across the northern sub forum, and progressively send stronger troughs farther south as we close out the month of August (target date 8/22).  This peculiar pattern is something I have been looking for to evolve, even though its a little later than I originally thought.  The bottom line is, if the Bearing Sea trough does in fact heat up, alongside, the building NE PAC ridge, you can bet on it that we will see an early onset of Autumn this year.  Obviously, we'll have your typical swings in temps but I can forsee plenty of troughs/fronts with severe wx potential 2nd half of August.

CentralNebWeather

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:31 AM

CentralNebWeather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE
Looks like another 2 inches of rain between 5:45-7:00 am this morning. Just amazing summer rainy pattern. We are not that far away from 30” already this year. Normal yearly is 25”. It is only August 8th. Wow.
  • Tom, Hawkeye, jaster220 and 1 other like this

Niko

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:52 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5350 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Storms rolled on through in the middle of the night. Not sure how much rain fell, but I know it was coming down in buckets. Loud noise hitting my roof. Still remains humid w more pm storms. Temps will bottom out in the 80s. The extended looks lovely.

• OKwx2k4 likes this

CentralNebWeather

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:17 PM

CentralNebWeather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE
I have coached football here at our high school for over 20 years, and I would put today as top 10 most uncomfortable practices. Dew point was 70, temp was 85. Doesn’t sound that bad, until you consider full blazing sun, no clouds, wind calm, moisture coming up from the ground following the morning 2” rain. Players were in helmets, shoulder pads and shorts. We have a water machine that we completely emptied. In today’s game we are better educated to deal with heat than ever before, more breaks and plenty of water. Autumn please and low dew points.
  • OKwx2k4 likes this

OKwx2k4

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:32 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

I have coached football here at our high school for over 20 years, and I would put today as top 10 most uncomfortable practices. Dew point was 70, temp was 85. Doesn’t sound that bad, until you consider full blazing sun, no clouds, wind calm, moisture coming up from the ground following the morning 2” rain. Players were in helmets, shoulder pads and shorts. We have a water machine that we completely emptied. In today’s game we are better educated to deal with heat than ever before, more breaks and plenty of water. Autumn please and low dew points.

Dang man. That's nasty heat. I'm with ya. Here's to autumn soon. Tom's analysis gave him a target date around the 21st (I think?) and my own prior thoughts had said last 10 days of the month for the real first taste of Autumn weather so I'd say we'll get there sooner than later. Hang in there! 2 people using multiple approaches and yielding such similar ideas doesn't happen very often so we may be on to something.

OKwx2k4

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:38 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

After analyzing the overnight data, I spotted something fascinating about the weather pattern evolving across the N PAC. If you take a look at the current state of the SST's, one can see a "road map" where storm systems near the East Asian coast, literally track into the Bearing Sea while being diverted northward due to the warm blob growing in the NE PAC.

anomnight.8.6.2018.gif

Here's an MSLP animation off the 00z GEFS showing 3 systems over the next 10 days that track right across the area in the N PAC where you can see the "cold" stripe of waters extending from the Bearing Straits, west into the Sea of Okhotsk.

With that being said, these 3 systems, IMO, will initially begin to show some early indications of Autumn across the northern sub forum, and progressively send stronger troughs farther south as we close out the month of August (target date 8/22). This peculiar pattern is something I have been looking for to evolve, even though its a little later than I originally thought. The bottom line is, if the Bearing Sea trough does in fact heat up, alongside, the building NE PAC ridge, you can bet on it that we will see an early onset of Autumn this year. Obviously, we'll have your typical swings in temps but I can forsee plenty of troughs/fronts with severe wx potential 2nd half of August.

That aleutian low look is really already starting to come to fruition up there. That's awesome and it is also a month to 45 days early correct?

OKwx2k4

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:43 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

Looks like another 2 inches of rain between 5:45-7:00 am this morning. Just amazing summer rainy pattern. We are not that far away from 30” already this year. Normal yearly is 25”. It is only August 8th. Wow.

That's amazing. It will be neat to see what you finish the year out with, especially if we get a crazy active autumn pattern.

LNK_Weather

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:24 PM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

I have a bad feeling about the rest of this month going into next month. Looks like the boring pattern will continue with only one legitimate rain chance over the next 10 days. After that, MAYBE one brief cooldown but then it's back to boringness to open up met Fall. I didn't sign up for a California climate when I came here. 78.8*F.

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2018-2019: 10/14 (3.5"), 11/17 (2.6")

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tom

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:50 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17293 posts

Today, marks the first day, during the second half of the year where the sun will set before 8:00pm (7:58pm).  Another small, but subtle sign that Autumn is approaching.  I had to make adjustments to my timers connected to my lamps in the living room yesterday as they were turning on when the room was much to dark.  The mornings are becoming notably darker as well nowadays.

Meantime, looking forward to more boomers around the area later today and another steamy one.

WRF is showing a nice line coming through around 5:00pm...another rush hour disaster???

wrf-arw_ref_frzn_ncus_22.png'

Tom

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:24 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17293 posts

That aleutian low look is really already starting to come to fruition up there. That's awesome and it is also a month to 45 days early correct?

TBH, I don't typically start looking on that side of the globe during this time of year.  I usually begin digging into the pattern sometime in mid Sept as we get closer to the opening of October, but this season, something caught my eye and I'm encouraged to see the Aleutian Islands/Bearing Sea showing signs of activity early on.

Regarding for the LRC, over the past few years, I always wondered if Gary believed if there were signs of the new pattern during the month of August.  I recall reading one of his blogs and he did mention that he does believe that way up in the northern latitudes, he agrees that I think it was 25% of the new pattern begins evolving, while still 75% of the old pattern is still in play.  As we get closer and closer to the first week of Oct, those percentages obviously trend higher towards the new pattern.  In essence, maybe this pattern evolving across the N PAC is a slight hint of what to expect.  Our current LRC pattern did have phases of the Bearing Sea trough but the Bearing Sea ridge was more dominant it seemed, that is, until now and what future guidance is indicating.

• jaster220 and OKwx2k4 like this

Tom

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:34 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17293 posts

Nice to see that parts of N MO getting much needed moisture where the drought has been the worst.

precip_7d_accum_central_2018080812.png

Depending on where the mid week system later next week tracks, could be some more appreciable rains across the drought stricken regions in the MW ag belt.  I love seeing TX and the Panhandle region getting very wet over the next 7 days!

wpc_acc_precip_central_168.png

JMA weeklies agreeing with the GEFS/CFSv2 weeklies that during Week 2, not only do we get cooler, but wetter as well....

Y201808.D0812_gl2.png

Y201808.D0812_gl0.png

Tom

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:55 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17293 posts

Those living near the eastern MW/GL's region, we will see a nice pullback in temps into the 70's starting next Wed and may last into the following weekend.  Both GFS/Euro starting to see a nice trough-like pattern developing.

Last post before I head out to the gym, I am more encouraged that we will see the pattern lock into an Aleutian trough and a stout NE PAC ridge to close out the month of Aug.  Folks, Autumn is around the corner if this pattern does play out.  Like I said before, late August into early Sept, I'm expecting to see some pretty big systems/troughs to roll through the northern sub that'll progressively make they're way and penetrate into the S Plains.  Keep an eye on that good ol' North American Polar Vortex parking itself just north of Hudson Bay.  This, by all means, is an early indication of what I believe will be a major player this coming cold season. 

• james1976 and CentralNebWeather like this

OKwx2k4

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:14 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
Wow. Zero above average days for me on this GFS run and that's not counting rain-cooled variations in temperature off of the high so for all intents and purposes, it might as well be fall here if current thinking holds.
  • james1976 and jaster220 like this

james1976

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:17 AM

james1976

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4299 posts
  • LocationAplington, IA
Ill be traveling around from midwest and out to Massachusetts over the next couple weeks so ill try to pop in from random cities.
Local met has mid 80s and humid for next 7 days with a few storm chances over here. Hopefully its cooler when i get out to the northeast next week!

CentralNebWeather

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:30 AM

CentralNebWeather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

That's amazing. It will be neat to see what you finish the year out with, especially if we get a crazy active autumn pattern.

Thanks for your interest. What a strange year so far.

Niko

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:37 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5350 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

PM storms today could contain strong, damaging winds. Weather gets better and dries up for the remainder of the week w much less humidity. :)

LNK_Weather

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:08 PM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

OAX echoing what I said last night:

Tonight

Mostly clear, with a low around 64. North wind around 6 mph.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 89. North northeast wind 3 to 6 mph.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 64. North northeast wind around 6 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 89. Calm wind becoming southeast around 6 mph in the afternoon.
Saturday Night
Clear, with a low around 65. Southeast wind around 6 mph.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 89.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 66.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 89.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 66.
Tuesday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 87.
Tuesday Night
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 65.
Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 88.
Wednesday Night
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly clear, with a low around 65.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 90.

If that isn't monotonous, I don't know what is.

• jaster220 and OKwx2k4 like this

CentralNebWeather

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:01 PM

CentralNebWeather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE
Practice #4 in the books. Heat and humidity just saps your energy. Kids holding up well, coaches not as young as we used to be. Full pads tomorrow. Don’t see much of a break in this pattern in the extended. Saving grace is temps shouldn’t be over 90 but dews continue unabated as the ground is saturated and there is no wind. Living here you get used to wind, so when it is calm for days you miss it on these scorching days.

LNK_Weather

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:46 PM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Practice #4 in the books. Heat and humidity just saps your energy. Kids holding up well, coaches not as young as we used to be. Full pads tomorrow. Don’t see much of a break in this pattern in the extended. Saving grace is temps shouldn’t be over 90 but dews continue unabated as the ground is saturated and there is no wind. Living here you get used to wind, so when it is calm for days you miss it on these scorching days.

Yeah seriously, where has the wind been? Typically you can count on wind to at least make the heat a bit more tolerable, but there has been no wind this whole Summer.

• jaster220 likes this

CentralNebWeather

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:28 PM

CentralNebWeather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

Yeah seriously, where has the wind been? Typically you can count on wind to at least make the heat a bit more tolerable, but there has been no wind this whole Summer.

I am missing the wind. This summer has had everything else, how about a 10 day stretch of winds 0-5 mph. I can never remember a streak like this. Hail, extreme heat, relentless dew points, record rainfall, now warm, very humid and calm. I can’t wait for a wind chill advisory after this summer.
  • Tom, jaster220, Bryan1117 and 2 others like this

OKwx2k4

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:49 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

TBH, I don't typically start looking on that side of the globe during this time of year. I usually begin digging into the pattern sometime in mid Sept as we get closer to the opening of October, but this season, something caught my eye and I'm encouraged to see the Aleutian Islands/Bearing Sea showing signs of activity early on.

Regarding for the LRC, over the past few years, I always wondered if Gary believed if there were signs of the new pattern during the month of August. I recall reading one of his blogs and he did mention that he does believe that way up in the northern latitudes, he agrees that I think it was 25% of the new pattern begins evolving, while still 75% of the old pattern is still in play. As we get closer and closer to the first week of Oct, those percentages obviously trend higher towards the new pattern. In essence, maybe this pattern evolving across the N PAC is a slight hint of what to expect. Our current LRC pattern did have phases of the Bearing Sea trough but the Bearing Sea ridge was more dominant it seemed, that is, until now and what future guidance is indicating.

Great explanation and thank you for the refresher on how it all works again!

Yeah, when last years Aleutian Low would actually be there it was displaced NEward it seems like due to massive Siberian HP and the ridge you refer to making the pattern totally ineffective for me. I should have caught that last season and I didn't. Didn't get enough personal bias correction in on that one I guess. :lol:
  • jaster220 likes this

OKwx2k4

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:53 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

OAX echoing what I said last night:

If that isn't monotonous, I don't know what is.

Oh crap. It looks like you're having the August version of my September 2017. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. It's so boring and warm that it's maddening almost. Same thing every stinking day. :lol:
  • jaster220 likes this

OKwx2k4

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:56 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
Looking pretty moist next 7 days...
Attached File  WB022_TOTAL_PRECIP_HOUR_E_1.png   113.07KB   1 downloads
  • Hawkeye and jaster220 like this

Tom

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:44 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17293 posts

I am missing the wind. This summer has had everything else, how about a 10 day stretch of winds 0-5 mph. I can never remember a streak like this. Hail, extreme heat, relentless dew points, record rainfall, now warm, very humid and calm. I can’t wait for a wind chill advisory after this summer.

Minus the humidity, this has been a top notch summer for your area.  While it has been warm, at times hot (which happens every year), your timely rains have solidified a great growing season in NE.  Since being a member on this forum, I don't recall a better summer season for your area.  Glad to hear my friend!  BTW, there's nothing worse than a stagnant, moist, hot and humid airmass.  There have been days like that 2 summers ago that we endured over here.  It was the summer after the Super Nino of '15-'16 and I can't remember how many humid and very warm/muggy days and nights we had that summer....relentless!  It lasted all the way into late October, bc I remember during the Cubbies epic postseason stretch when they won it all, there were some very warm, at times, muggy evenings (for Autumn standards).

Before you know it, it won't be long till your first REAL Autumn cold front.  Hang in there buddy!

• jaster220 likes this

Tom

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:08 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17293 posts

Anyone going to check out the Perseid's Meteor Shower this weekend???  Mother nature is going to provide us with some very delightful wx around here this weekend for viewings.

https://www.space.co...peaks-soon.html

CentralNebWeather

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:41 AM

CentralNebWeather

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

Minus the humidity, this has been a top notch summer for your area. While it has been warm, at times hot (which happens every year), your timely rains have solidified a great growing season in NE. Since being a member on this forum, I don't recall a better summer season for your area. Glad to hear my friend! BTW, there's nothing worse than a stagnant, moist, hot and humid airmass. There have been days like that 2 summers ago that we endured over here. It was the summer after the Super Nino of '15-'16 and I can't remember how many humid and very warm/muggy days and nights we had that summer....relentless! It lasted all the way into late October, bc I remember during the Cubbies epic postseason stretch when they won it all, there were some very warm, at times, muggy evenings (for Autumn standards).

Before you know it, it won't be long till your first REAL Autumn cold front. Hang in there buddy!

Keeping hope alive for that first cool front. Just saw from NWS Hastings, satellite pictures of smoke from fires out West is drifting south. Will have to see how that affects our weather this weekend. Looks like the leading edge is in Northern Nebraska.

Tom

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:01 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17293 posts

Boy, if the Euro Weeklies are right, this would fit right into the idea of a cooler finish to August. Notice the Bearing Sea/Aleutian trough still locked into place, NE PAC ridge, Hudson Bay vortex, and with ridging off both coasts this should be a first REAL Autumn tease for the central CONUS.

OKwx2k4

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:23 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

Thanks for your interest. What a strange year so far.

I have to work to stay engaged in weather stuff in the summer but, for a hot nasty summer, there have been just enough quirks to keep me interested.
  • jaster220 likes this