Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

January 2019 Observations and Discussion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Hawkeye

Posted Yesterday, 11:06 PM

Hawkeye

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1849 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, IA

00z euro - Thursday morning

Attached File  us_model-en-087-0_modez_2019012400_180_5660_218.png   246.28KB   1 downloads

• Tom likes this

season snowfall: 13.2"

'17-18: 39.5"      '16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Tom

Posted Today, 03:37 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17937 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

Rise and Shine on this bitter cold morning in Chicagoland!  Under clear skies, calm winds, temps have dipped to 11F (single digits NW of here) which is balmy if you consider where we are heading.  Nature is about to unleash her fury and the idea of Vicious shots of cold this month seemingly are becoming clearer later next week.  I had a gut feeling we would be re-writing History this month and the magnitude of the cold coming is down, right, scary.  Looking on the bright side, most, if not all, of our members who will be in the worst of the cold, have a decent snow pack to insulate any underground pipes.

nsm_depth_2019012305_National.jpg

We'll be adding to this gorgeous and deep snow pack across the MW from the late weekend/early week Clipper and several weaker waves before the main event.  It's been a number of years since IA has had such a nice snow pack, ay?  Glad to see the IA snow magnet this year unlike year's past.  

nsm_depth_2019012305_Midwest.jpg

I'm thinking of starting a thread for the "Polar Vortex Party" next week...thoughts???

• Grizzcoat and Clinton like this

westMJim

Posted Today, 03:58 AM

westMJim

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, mi

Not a very good nights sleep for me last night was up with a very bad coughing spell and chills. Took my temperature and I have a fever of 101.3 So I took a coupe of advel and had something to drink and will go back to bed and try and get some sleep. Lake Michigan keeps much of Michigan warmer in the winter time and that is the case this AM the current temperature here is 26.4 with cloudy skies and there is 2.5" of snow on the ground. There will be lake effect over the next few day just not sure as to how much. But there could be some very low VISIBILITIES that is for sure. This is from this AM GRR discussion

"AS FAR AS TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS FROM THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH  
FRIDAY, STILL GOING FOR 3-6 INCHES NEAR AND WEST OF HWY 131 AND  
AN INCH OR TWO FARTHER EAST. SNOWFLAKE SIZE MAY BECOME FINE/SMALL  
LATE TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY AS THE DGZ LOWERS CLOSER TO THE GROUND,  
SO ACCUMULATION POTENTIAL DECREASES BUT VISIBILITIES AND TRAVEL  
CONDITIONS REMAIN VERY POOR."

Tom

Posted Today, 04:05 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17937 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

Not a very good nights sleep for me last night was up with a very bad coughing spell and chills. Took my temperature and I have a fever of 101.3 So I took a coupe of advel and had something to drink and will go back to bed and try and get some sleep. Lake Michigan keeps much of Michigan warmer in the winter time and that is the case this AM the current temperature here is 26.4 with cloudy skies and there is 2.5" of snow on the ground. There will be lake effect over the next few day just not sure as to how much. But there could be some very low VISIBILITIES that is for sure. This is from this AM GRR discussion

"AS FAR AS TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS FROM THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH  
FRIDAY, STILL GOING FOR 3-6 INCHES NEAR AND WEST OF HWY 131 AND  
AN INCH OR TWO FARTHER EAST. SNOWFLAKE SIZE MAY BECOME FINE/SMALL  
LATE TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY AS THE DGZ LOWERS CLOSER TO THE GROUND,  
SO ACCUMULATION POTENTIAL DECREASES BUT VISIBILITIES AND TRAVEL  
CONDITIONS REMAIN VERY POOR."

Hope you get better bud!  Rest, Recover and Relax...only way to do it when you catch a cold/fever.  I'm glad to hear that you guys near the lake will finally benefit from a warm Lake Michigan when the extreme cold hits and holds.  Looks like the fun and games of LES on the eastern shores of LM is finally knocking on your doorstep!