January 2019 Observations and Discussion

Minny_Weather

Euro active through FH240, at which it has a pretty massive dump of extreme cold into the midwest and plains. Core of 850mb airmass centered Minnesota displaying -37* C. -20*C extends to northern Mississippi. Not sure I buy that.

• Like 3

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

What an exciting pattern we are locked into for the foreseeable future as systems are lining up and this sub will be quite active through the remainder of this month and Feb (which looks to be much more impactful than this month as a whole).  Our next focus dials in on a system early next week that is poised to target the same areas in the MW/GL's once again.  Although, there is some concern that this storm cuts right over Chicago and brings a rain/snow mix for this area and places S/SE of here.  Might need to fire up a storm thread for this one later this morning.

Once we get past this system, a definitive -NAO block develops along with a -AO/-EPO will allow a unique NW Flow couple with strong and active PAC waves coming up and over the NE PAC ridge and driving S/SE into SW Canada and pivoting and quite possibly strengthening into hybrid clippers into the MW/GL's region over the Week 1-2 period.  Target dates for a Clipper parade are between (25th-30th), then our attention will be centering towards a possible big CO Low out towards the end of the month.  This particular system may be one big CO Low that closes out the month and opens Feb...GHD-III????

Here were the JMA Weeklies Week 2-4 and basically show we are socked into Winter through at least the next 4 weeks (end of run).....

• Like 2

Current temp at 28 w cloudy skies. Roads are slippery w a dusting around.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

The next 10 days on the euro WOW

The GFS has been backing off the snow in the extended, but last night's euro dumps probably a 2-ft bullseye on eastern Iowa.  It brought decent snow back next Tuesday, then has a couple potent clippers.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Congrats to areas to the west and south west of Lake Michigan that looks to get much more snow then here in the Grand Rapids metro area. Here last night I recorded 0.3" of snow fall and there is a trace of snow now on the driveway, road and the grass with a temp of 27.7° and cloudy skies, GRR is calling for around 1 to 2" for this system here with more to the south of town. The of course cold but with a north wind there will be no lake effect here in GR. For Tuesdays system there could be some rain mixed in here so we will have to see how that  one plays out. Of course there could be a better chance of some Lake effect on this side of the lake after that one pulls out. One item that I will add for the west side of the lake on your lake effect snow fall is that it helps if you have some added lift in the form of some hills. Here in Michigan there are some hills (not much) but still some 150 to 200 feet helps in the case of lake effect. 

Congrats to areas to the west and south west of Lake Michigan that looks to get much more snow then here in the Grand Rapids metro area. Here last night I recorded 0.3" of snow fall and there is a trace of snow now on the driveway, road and the grass with a temp of 27.7° and cloudy skies, GRR is calling for around 1 to 2" for this system here with more to the south of town. The of course cold but with a north wind there will be no lake effect here in GR. For Tuesdays system there could be some rain mixed in here so we will have to see how that one plays out. Of course there could be a better chance of some Lake effect on this side of the lake after that one pulls out. One item that I will add for the west side of the lake on your lake effect snow fall is that it helps if you have some added lift in the form of some hills. Here in Michigan there are some hills (not much) but still some 150 to 200 feet helps in the case of lake effect.

The snow drought looks to continue after a couple days of promising model runs. Next system may be weaker and warm. After that it’s clippers and LES which is where most of our snow comes from. Either way without a big snow event we are looking a historic low snowfall for the winter.

• Like 1

Each storm gets weaker as it approaches time. It looks strong a few days b4 and when it comes closer to the event, it falls apart and or brings in warmer air. Its a crappy Winter for some, i.e, SEMI for starters.

Currently 30F w cloudy skies. A dusting fell for total snowfall. What else is new this Winter. Cant even get a decent d**n snowfall. Ok, I will stop here cuz I am now getting pissed off.

The snow drought looks to continue after a couple days of promising model runs. Next system may be weaker and warm. After that it’s clippers and LES which is where most of our snow comes from. Either way without a big snow event we are looking a historic low snowfall for the winter.

That is true while Grand Rapids all time record low for snow fall will be safe (a reported 20" in the winter of 1905/06) and several very old records in 1906/07 (30") Just to get to the more modern low snow fall seasons(1948/48) Grand Rapids would have to get 20.7" of snow the rest of this season and for more recent low snow fall winter like 2011/12 we would need 32.2" and to reach the 30 year average we would need 56.2" 

Currently at 29F w cloudy skies. Smells like snow outside.

Sun tried to come out for a bit earlier here in Fargo but now it's tucked back in nicely. It's so cold here that I was outside for 30 seconds and the tears in my eyes froze. -5*F. Wind chill -26*F.

Now that is cold!! Dang!

That system still looks like a rainer for E IA as all models(except the Euro) bring the low right through the state. With an amply cold airmass to tap into, areas immediately north of the low see snow. So CR/IC would probably be okay if the sfc low tracked through SE IA and into N IL.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

That system still looks like a rainer for E IA as all models(except the Euro) bring the low right through the state. With an amply cold airmass to tap into, areas immediately north of the low see snow. So CR/IC would probably be okay if the sfc low tracked through SE IA and into N IL.

Don't get discouraged, the models had all of this showing up as rain a while ago. I think they are all running a little warm this year. IIRC GFS had this has a big rain event a week or so ago.

The frozen grip of death. Dang.

Is that map indicating Sun the 27th will be freakin cold in Texas ???

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

looks like I will have a chance to test my -35F sleeping bag....

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Well, depends on what you consider to be freakin cold. Freakin cold in TX isn’t freakin cold in MN. But yes. It looks like it might be pretty cold in the middle of the country for sure. Winter looks like it’s finally showing up.

True. We're thin blooded from those 100-110* summer days with high humidity.

But cold for us usually begins in the 30's. By the time it hits freezing we're like dang!

What usually gets us is wind chill. This is a windy state.

I have to travel to Az. next week and I'm trying to think of what kind coat to take.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*