Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Some strange model analysis in here today. By d9, the 12Z ECMWF has a higher wavenumber than the GFS, and a much deeper trough in the NPAC.

How is this beneficial? Looks more like a typical ECMWF bias in digging shortwaves too far S/SW.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/001545A5-28EA-4F04-8B41-6B7ECFDB1729_zpstib5re6c.png

-30C into southern BC at day 10.  Hey, 10 days away again!

Don't forget there is plenty of cold way before that. Amazing how people always manage to belittle positive trends.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Some strange model analysis in here today. By d9, the 12Z ECMWF has a higher wavenumber than the GFS, and a much deeper trough in the NPAC.

How is this beneficial? Looks more like a typical ECMWF bias in digging shortwaves too far S/SW

Are you serious?

There is decent ensemble support on the GFS for a colder week two as well.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

So chances it snows monday and we'd to thurs still there?

Of course.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Don't forget there is plenty of cold way before that. Amazing how people always manage to belittle positive trends.

I feel like I'm on another planet here. All I see is another wave complex bound to slide east of the Rockies following an EAMT surge and corresponding height falls over/south of the Aleutians.

How is this beneficial? Looks more like a typical ECMWF bias in digging shortwaves too far S/SW.

Doesn't look particularly believable based on the less than stellar blocking upstream, but it shows a major arctic blast at day 10. That's always going to get some people fired up.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

So chances it snows monday and we'd to thurs still there?

Yes. However, Monday/Monday night is looking borderline for temps (at least if you're near sea level), and Wed night/Thursday is just a question of how long the cold air sticks around and how fast the precip moves in.

A forum for the end of the world.

The updated run of the 12z KING EURO looks MAJESTIC! It looks nice during the short, medium and long range!

For PDX, it looks like 0.5" to 2" possible thru Tuesday. Then a big over-running event on Thursday with a widespread 5" to 8" snow then ice for PDX Metro. Then a true Arctic Blast comes at Day 10!

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/ecmwf/2016120312/240/500h_anom.na.pnghttp://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/ecmwf/2016120312/240/850t.na.png

f3e7e3bf2f29b1e9cdb92d7e39e709f1.jpg

850mb temps of -15c at SEA and -12c at PDX on day 10 of the Euro. Awesome progression.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I feel like I'm on another planet here. All I see is another wave complex bound to slide east of the Rockies following an EAMT surge and corresponding height falls over/south of the Aleutians.

The models have been all over the place with the pattern in week 2. No need to over-analyze any given run in that period at this point.

• Like 1

Are you serious?

There is decent ensemble support on the GFS for a colder week two as well.

Yep. I like the GFS more because it's slower with the EAMT cycle hence would delay the onset of the NPAC jet extension. The ECMWF solution would devolve into that sort of pattern fairly quickly. Not trying to crash the party, just pointing out what I think needs to be pointed out.

OK...

You always seem to manage to ruin people's hopes when we have great model runs.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Doesn't look particularly believable based on the less than stellar blocking upstream, but it shows a major arctic blast at day 10. That's always going to get some people fired up.

Yeah, the blocking in the Pacific isn't inspiring, but the Alaskan block is something to behold. That would almost certainly lead to somewhere in the lower 48 getting quite cold. 

The models have been all over the place with the pattern in week 2. No need to over-analyze any given run in that period at this point.

The large scale pattern/forcing progression (regardless of minute details) is something that can be analyzed. I'm not even looking at the smaller scale stuff.

If the ECMWF were to verify we would be looking at 850s down to -20 the next day. Keep in mind the 0z ECMWF control model was similar to this. Keep in mind I'm not saying it will happen...just repeating what the models are showing.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Also, that stuff at d10 looks suspiciously like the classic ECMWF bias of digging troughs too far SW over mountainous terrain.

The ECMWF has never handled North American mountain torquing well, for whatever reason.

Yeah, the blocking in the Pacific isn't inspiring, but the Alaskan block is something to behold. That would almost certainly lead to somewhere in the lower 48 getting quite cold.

For sure. Having that kind of height anomalies floating around up there always keeps the door open. All I can say is the trends are good today.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Also, that stuff at d10 looks suspiciously like the classic ECMWF bias of digging troughs too far SW over mountainous terrain.

The ECMWF has never handled North American mountain torquing well, for whatever reason.

Uh huh.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Also, that stuff at d10 looks suspiciously like the classic ECMWF bias of digging troughs too far SW over mountainous terrain. The recent pattern evolution speaks to that as well, seeing its NE shift in the trough axis by 300+ miles over the last three days,

You're repeating yourself.

• Like 1

Ok. There seem to be some pretty large scale differences past day 5 to me.

There are..the ECMWF has a huge east-Asian mountain torque cycle beginning, and is much more aggressive w/ it than the GFS/GEFS. In the end that usually bodes poorly for NPAC blocking.

With a high pressure this long and sustained, I'm wondering how long we'll be under high winds. We could probably have a good 3 week stretch of winds >30mph in some locations. Freezing spray... Shallow bays will start icing up.... and my truck does not have a working heater core...

"There are so many waves coming in all the time, you don't have to worry about that. Take your time—wave come. Let the other guys go; catch another one." -Duke Kahanamoku

You're repeating yourself.

Yeah I realized that, hence my deletion of that line from the post.

It was only up there for 10 seconds. :lol:

With a high pressure this long and sustained, I'm wondering how long we'll be under high winds. We could probably have a good 3 week stretch of winds >30mph in some locations. Freezing spray... Shallow bays will start icing up.... and my truck does not have a working heater core...

I can't imagine not having a heater up there. My heater was out during one of our bigger cold waves here in the 1980s and it was a pain in the arse. The windows were continually getting frosty on the inside.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah I realized that, hence my deletion of that line from the post.

It was only up there for 10 seconds. :lol:

BTW...I'm not saying your are wrong, but it is possible you are.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That is some seriously cold stuff on the euro.

Epic if it were to verify.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

BTW...I'm not saying your are wrong, but it is possible you are.

Ain't that the truth.

It's very, very easy to be wrong in this business. That's part of what makes it fun and interesting.

• Like 1