December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Prediction: Model camps in coming days are going to swing to two different solutions.

1) Blocking sets up more favorably 160 W, multiple blasts

2) Blocking sets up 160-165 W, base pinched off/undercut, southern stream moisture blasts in.

That was evident in the 00z gfs out 10 days. There is a struggle brewing and the sweet spot will need a yard stick to measure the goods.

• Like 1

Seems pretty boring to have Tim and Andrew sitting with solid snow cover for 10 days with highs in the 20s across the entire region for several of those days. 

Not the outcome I want.     True lowland snow is much more fun.  

So you're referring to yourself in the third person now? This place has gone full loco tonight.

Euro says PDX doesn't get out of the 20's after Monday through the end of the run. Capped off by a nice little 2-4" snow event at day 8 then followed by a big snowstorm at the end of the run. 

Hell Yeah. Day 10 renewed backdoor blast too. Nice 991mb low off the southern Oregon Coast. This is setting up perfect IF this solution plays out. One thing seems a bit more certain to me. This may be quickly turning into a much longer prolonged cold spell.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2016123000/ecmwf_T850_nwus_11.png

• Like 1

To be fair there are at least three Tims on this forum that we know of.

And they all get more snow than the average poster.

I think I'm going to change my name!

:lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

My thoughts for the night.

1. Central Puget Sound sees widespread 1 to 3 inch accumulations New Year's Eve with some place getting 4 or 5 inches. I think the operational model has a better handle on the precip than the WRF.

2. Temperature forecasts for early next week will need to be pruned by about 5 degrees. A couple of days should fail to reach 30...especially if there is snow on the ground.

3. The ensembles continue to look outstanding deep into week 2. This is especially true on the latest GEM ensemble which is incredible tonight.

4. Still a high chance of a major snow event in the 10 to 15 day period.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1. Central Puget Sound sees widespread 1 to 3 inch accumulations New Year's Eve with some place getting 4 or 5 inches. I think the operational model has a better handle on the precip than the WRF.

2. Temperature forecasts for early next week will need to be pruned by about 5 degrees. A couple of days should fail to reach 30...especially if there is snow on the ground.

3. The ensembles continue to look outstanding deep into week 2. This is especially true on the latest GEM ensemble which is incredible tonight.

Nice to see you around from your hibernation earlier. Yeah phenomenal potential ahead.

I like seeing the second dip showing up on the GFS ensemble again. That one takes us back down to -10 or -11. Going to be a ridiculously cold first week of January.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

If that happens I swear to god I will never ***** about a long heatwave ever again.

I am going to hold you to this.

I noticed earlier today that some of the smaller lakes are still frozen here but with lots of rain water sitting on top. They should freeze pretty solidly next week.

To me it almost looks like the ECMWF is back to it's old trick of putting too much emphasis on the southern branch / cutoff low again in the day 9 to day 10 period. As you will remember it (and to a lesser extent the GFS) showed that about a week ago for New Years / early next week also. Ensembles are the way to go right now beyond day 7.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

this feels more Dec 13' than November 2010

So, historic Winter temperatures down here 2 times within 3 years? Sounds good! :P

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

4. Good chance a major snow event occurs within 10 days.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Probably true. Seattle is not a good spot for cold. PDX and the Willamette Valley probably remain below freezing. We don't sit next to a warm body of water.

SEA was colder than those places in January 1950. Later on this event could take on a pretty strong N to S temperature gradient.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9